+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Howe

Eddie Howe

...as someone on Twitter, he coached a win today but was let down by the players. Not good enough in the key moments. Yes, you can argue about the starting lineup and ask how Amad was repeatedly free at corners and that wasn't addressed but these stats show that we had the gameplan to have won this.

We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot tonight.

Eddie got it right tonight, the players didn't.

Name:  coached.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  39.0 KB

Eddie Howe played Trippier !

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Eddie Howe played Trippier !
    Unfortunately this - I don't think Trippier was match ready and was at fault for the first 2 goals. For the first one playing everyone offside because he was lagging way behind the rest of the back line and for the second seemingly unaware of the Man U player behind him and waiting for the ball to come to him instead of going towards it allowing the Man U player to run past him and gain possession leading to the corner we conceded from.

Corners also seem to be an issue for us, both defensive and offensive. We seem to often miss out when the ball gets cleared to the edge of the box, when defending inviting an unpressured shot as per the second goal or when attacking allowing for a fast counter. We always seem to get sucked in towards the ball leaving the edge of either penalty box free for the opposition. I certainly think Gordon should be taking our left sided corners as Trippier taking them always screws up our shape for the next few minutes (Burn at right back!).

Edit:
    To be fair we also should have made more of our chances, especially the 3 on 1 we had. For me Gordon played the ball to Isak too early and made it really easy for th defender. He need to make the defender make a decision not make it for him. Having said that, given Isak's form of late and his icy calmness in front of goal you would still think he had a great chance of scoring but could have definitely been made easier for him.
    Last edited by Xamand; 15-05-2024 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamand View Post
    Unfortunately this - I don't think Trippier was match ready and was at fault for the first 2 goals. For the first one playing everyone offside because he was lagging way behind the rest of the back line and for the second seemingly unaware of the Man U player behind him and waiting for the ball to come to him instead of going towards it allowing the Man U player to run past him and gain possession leading to the corner we conceded from.

Corners also seem to be an issue for us, both defensive and offensive. We seem to often miss out when the ball gets cleared to the edge of the box, when defending inviting an unpressured shot as per the second goal or when attacking allowing for a fast counter. We always seem to get sucked in towards the ball leaving the edge of either penalty box free for the opposition. I certainly think Gordon should be taking our left sided corners as Trippier taking them always screws up our shape for the next few minutes (Burn at right back!).

Edit:
    To be fair we also should have made more of our chances, especially the 3 on 1 we had. For me Gordon played the ball to Isak too early and made it really easy for th defender. He need to make the defender make a decision not make it for him. Having said that, given Isak's form of late and his icy calmness in front of goal you would still think he had a great chance of scoring but could have definitely been made easier for him.
    Being Match fit is one thing but keeping the defensive line is school boy territory. I'm not detracting from the man's impact on our team, his pedigree or the excellent performances he has put in during his time at the club. However, Trippier has made some howlers this season.

Time catches up with everyone and at times and Trippier is not immune to that.

We had a great set of sneaky set piece routines last season and early on this season when Tonali was involved. Again the lose of key players through the season and their subsequent return when still returning to match sharpness has been the over-riding issue we've experienced.

This match as a stand-alone.

Longstaff & Isak have clear cut chances that should have been goals.
    Gordon was raked down the Achilles by Amrabat and didn't get a penalty.

the final score would have been 3-5.

We didn't take the chances presented to us.

Isak still not 100% recovered from his illness that is clear. For him, that was a poor attempt.
    Longstaff well, after he scored against Brighton I had confidence that he'd finish but wasn't surprised when be booted the ball straight at Onana. Just not good enough. I'm a big fan of Longstaff for his work ethic and determination.

However, the lad wouldn't have been on the pitch of Willock, Tonali and Joelinton were all fit and available.

It is what it is. We move on.

On to Brentford with it all still to play for. Admittedly not in our hands anymore so we need Brighton & Bournemouth to do us a favour against the Red Filth and Chelsea.

It ain't over til it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    I'm not detracting from the man's impact on our team, his pedigree or the excellent performances he has put in during his time at the club. However, Trippier has made some howlers this season.

Time catches up with everyone and at times and Trippier is not immune to that.
    Trips mistake yesterday wasnt about him getting older, it was concentration thing or match sharpness - however you call it.

I was kinda sad when his transfer to Bayern didnt come through. Hated myself for this, but it would be win-win for both player and club.
    I do hope he proves me wrong, though

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    Trips mistake yesterday wasnt about him getting older, it was concentration thing or match sharpness - however you call it.
    A professional athlete should not be mentally fatigued in the 31st minute of a game. If he was then he should have been nowhere near the starting XI despite injuries to others. He also failed to track Garnacho a few minutes earlier and was spared by a rare good save by Dubravka. When he was making mistake after mistake earlier in the season we were told he needed a rest. Now he has returned from a rest and continues to make mistakes we’re told he’s lacking match fitness. He’s never been the best defensively but he is regressing.

Agree regarding the setup working and the players letting the manager down. For all I wanted Longstaff and Anderson to make it as local lads, they’re not good enough for where we want to be. Bitterly disappointing.

Anderson, Longstaff and Miley have filled in this season for Tonali and all of our injured midfielders. They deserve applause not criticism.
    Tonali is our ‘new signing’ while the young lads get pelters.

Trippier is off form/lacking match fitness. Any suggestions (other than playing) to remedy this?

Eddie needs to stop being so loyal to certain players who seem to start whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    Eddie needs to stop being so loyal to certain players who seem to start whatever.
    I think that once we get the other side of the summer transfer window and get people back like Tonali we'll see a more structured use of Longstaff and the lads.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Anderson, Longstaff and Miley have filled in this season for Tonali and all of our injured midfielders. They deserve applause not criticism.
    Tonali is our ‘new signing’ while the young lads get pelters.

Trippier is off form/lacking match fitness. Any suggestions (other than playing) to remedy this?
    I don’t think saying Longstaff and Anderson aren’t good enough should be considered as giving them pelters. In my mind it’s a demonstrable fact, more so with Longstaff. I’ve seen nothing but positive comments about Miley, rightly so.

Hindsight tells us Trippier wasn’t ready to return yesterday. However, I’m not having the first goal being a result of lack of match fitness. Casemiro got slaughtered last week for doing exactly the same thing. No excuses for lagging 6 foot behind the defensive line. Great player on his day but defensively suspect. At his age, he’d be on my list to move on as we may be able to command a reasonable fee and free up a big chunk of wages. Tino is now a better player, overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)