+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online betting

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Try harder.
    Slippery slope…

If we a going to generalise across the board, then they probably have to stop the sale of alcohol as well! A lot of people don't have the discipline to limit it either...and it can destroy lives too. So where do you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    Slippery slope…
    Not really, you're a mod, make a choice (I don't really care which, although I have a view of which is right and which is wrong), fence sitting ought not to be an option.

Moderate in moderation.

I’ve far better things to do with my time than pick sides in schoolboy spats.

Those better things include making sarcastic posts, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    If we a going to generalise across the board, then they probably have to stop the sale of alcohol as well! A lot of people don't have the discipline to limit it either...and it can destroy lives too. So where do you draw the line?
    In principle I'm with you, the difference being that alcohol in one form or another has been around for millenia and (to an extent), it's ill effects have been moderated by the passage of time. Modern society has also recognised the harm alcohol can do, with many states, nations and organisations seeking to address that (with varying degrees of success). Same can be said of tobacco, with numerous "initiatives" aimed at limiting access by younger victims and highlighting the harm it does (not "might", DOES).

Nothing of the sort impacts the onward progress of online betting. No serious limits on advertising, no effective restrictions restrictions on the age of the new victims who partake, to replace those who die from the harmful effects of betting (more than one life ended every day here in the UK alone!).

Like I say, not advocating a nanny state (here or anywhere else), nor realistically wishing to to rewind time, but will we NEVER learn that prevention is sooooooo much better than cure?

Moderate in moderation.

Try harder.

If you equate a discussion about the real harms that a new technology is inflicting on society, particularly it's young, as a "schoolboy spat" which presumably in your view makes the "sarcastic post" a better expenditure of your time, I'd ask just what as a moderator you (and other moderators) think your role is?

You really are a thoroughly disagreeable fellow, aren’t you?

I don’t think anyone on here has sung the praises of online betting and I’d guess that most would also prefer different shirt sponsorship deals.

And go to bed, eh?

Moderate in moderation.

And by my last post, I wasn't suggesting you "take my side" but as a moderator you don't take sides of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And by my last post, I wasn't suggesting you "take my side" but as a moderator you don't take sides of any kind.
    I think you’ve just invented the concept of Schrödinger’s fence?

Anyway, if you’re not going to bed, I will.

You really are a thoroughly disagreeable fellow, aren’t you?

I don’t think anyone on here has sung the praises of online betting and I’d guess that most would also prefer different shirt sponsorship deals.

And go to bed, eh?
    "Disagreeable"?? Suggesting I should agree with what I FIND DISAGREEABLE in order to "fit in"?. Wasn't my point in the last few posts, simply that YOU found it worthy of your time as a moderator to post a hugely "humorous" post which quite clearly suggested I should shut the f00k up and go away, in a sarcastic way, of course. Sleep well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)