+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our owners.

Our owners.

Do they actually know what they're doing, or are they flying by the seat of their pants ?

https://www.playthegame.org/news/the...ator-oversees/

"The root of illegal betting: Britain's white label industry that not even the regulator oversees".

"Play the Game’s investigative series on the impact of illegal gambling has encompassed the globe. From opaque Asian-facing gambling houses and cyber slave camps to weak Caribbean regulation that cheats bettors, the root of this nefarious trade lies in Europe and more specifically, Britain.

From the City of London and a company registry that provides a cosy, unquestioned corporate home for illegal betting companies to an island in the Irish Sea that provides soft licences and space for server farms, Great Britain is, arguably, the home of the illegal betting industry. Here we find the data companies that supply the live information to keep in-play wagering turning over, the top football clubs with global fanbases which advertise illegal betting, and not least the negligent regulators.

At the heart of the illegal betting problem are the 750 white label licences provided by the British Gambling Commission. These white labels allow companies licensed by the Gambling Commission to rent that licence to a number of often shady operators, and - as we shall see later - there is little to no oversight by the Gambling Commission of these companies.

The operators are often hiding behind a maze of trusts and letter-box offices like 978 Tech, which operates the 8XBet betting operation that sponsors Manchester City. Another operator, XCM, has a UK office down a side street in the City of London. No one from XCM is there of course. The place is simply a letter drop.

Even licenced betting companies can be hard to locate. Midnight Gaming is a case in point. Based on an industrial estate in Poole, Dorset, the company provided white labels for brands such as Asian-facing betting brand W88, who sponsored Fulham and last summer paid out to sponsor another Premier League side, Burnley.

The club agreed this deal in June 2023 with W88, which operates under a UK licence held by Midnight Gaming. At the time, Burnley director Stuart Hunt said:

“Following lengthy discussions, we are pleased to confirm W88 as our front-of-shirt sponsor for the upcoming season. As a newly promoted club, a partnership such as this plays a significant role in helping us to compete in the Premier League. W88 have established successful relationships with several Premier League clubs and sports brands across the globe and we have been impressed by their experience, knowledge and proactive nature in this area. I’m looking forward to developing a successful partnership together over the course of the season.”

However, on 10 February 2024, Midnight Gaming surrendered its licence to Britain’s Gaming Commission. With no British licence, W88 is unable to operate in the country, but Burnley continues to wear the W88 logo.

Play the Game approached Burnley for a comment and received no answer. A visit to Midnight Gaming’s office in Dorset in late February found more closed and locked doors. A solitary letter nestled in the letterbox but, yet again, no one was home to answer any questions."

Come back Delboy, all is forgiven.

Betting has always been associated with the shady side of life. I am not a betting man so I can’t comment on individual companies or bookies. Sinkov is better able to do that.

It is a shame that football in general is linked so strongly to betting companies and their lucre. The old saying that “if you are going to sup with the devil, use a long spoon” springs to mind.

Does football really need shirt sponsors?

As usual Swiss --it is all about money and greed. Companies of whatever business are willing to pay, therefore, it is a no brainer for football clubs to get what they can.
    I do not think that they need shirt sponsors but ..................

You are right Super. It is sad really but inevitable. Without getting all religious, you can’t serve two gods. These days mammon wins out every time.

Talk about selling your soul to the devil! Dr Faustus has nothing on football!

Very true Swiss.

Mormons & betting? Whatever next?

I'm not going on one of my favourite rants but to answer a honest question by sinkov, "Do they actually know what they're doing, or are they flying by the seat of their pants ?"

Mounting evidence suggests not I'm afraid mon ami.

If we don't bounce straight back up I think we might be in serious bother.

I wonder where classic football shirts are made?

Quote Originally Posted by Positive pete View Post
    I wonder where classic football shirts are made?
    Türkiye.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Türkiye.
    Makes a change from China and their regime of repression and slavery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)