+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: He was our No 1 choice from the outset.

Personally at this moment in time bringing Stendal back in my "opinion" would be a good move. We need someone with his fire and personality to bring the fans back together and put some belief and confidence into the players.
    He always struck me as people person in a similar mould to Klopp in that department showing them and the fans love! When you have that kind of relationship players will run through a brick wall for you.
    Don't get me wrong there will be mistakes while he gets a handle on the players and he gets the team to gel, but that would be the same for anyone who comes in.
    1/4 Stendal betting now so I'd be surprised if he wasn't appointed.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    Personally at this moment in time bringing Stendal back in my "opinion" would be a good move. We need someone with his fire and personality to bring the fans back together and put some belief and confidence into the players.
    He always struck me as people person in a similar mould to Klopp in that department showing them and the fans love! When you have that kind of relationship players will run through a brick wall for you.
    Don't get me wrong there will be mistakes while he gets a handle on the players and he gets the team to gel, but that would be the same for anyone who comes in.
    1/4 Stendal betting now so I'd be surprised if he wasn't appointed.
    Recent Rumours

Hourihane would be a mistake.
    As a player - his legs went 2 years ago.
    As a coach - he hasn’t shown to be a successful coach - and where would he fit in - where would that leave loyal individuals such as Disco ?
    So it’s a no from me.

Stendel would be a good appointment as HC,
    A few things to remember about Stendel.

He got the sack - but it was Conway who sacked him.
    Later we got to know a little bit more about how Conway operated at the Club.
    So is there any wonder Stendel had a falling out with Conway and was looking to work elsewhere ?

When Stendel was last in charge here - the club was still going through the transitional stage from the old system of 442 to how we line up now at 352 or 343.
    For example - the Stendel squad had wingers and what would be described as proper full backs .
    Those positions no longer exist at the club.
    That is to say Struber was trying to win games while also trying to adapt the system with the players he had got.
    He wouldn’t have to adapt the system now.
    The system is in place - and it’s one that Stendel will be more accustomed to and comfortable with.

Although saying that - Collins has ridden a coach and horses over the system so it will take any new HC a while to reset things.
    That could take a couple of weeks to more than a couple of months.

A further consideration is the quality of players back then - is far better than what we have now.
    Players from the Stendel squad had been in the Championship team.

But as said before - because of the recent HC we haven’t really had a chance to properly gauge the new players we have now.
    Plus of course there’s new players to come in during this summer.

If it is Stendel then I’d be pleased with that.
    Only concern is - I hope that his hunger and willingness to win hasn’t diminished over the years.

And repeat

If Nudge agrees with my view about wanting Stendel back perhaps i need to reconsider what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    If Nudge agrees with my view about wanting Stendel back perhaps i need to reconsider what I said.
    A while ago I’ve being saying that I would like to see Stendel and especially Ismael back at the club.
    So it might be you agreeing with me.
    So it could be me that needs to reconsider.

It probably will be me that needs to reconsider.
    I can’t see you thinking about it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Recent Rumours

Hourihane would be a mistake.
    As a player - his legs went 2 years ago.
    As a coach - he hasn’t shown to be a successful coach - and where would he fit in - where would that leave loyal individuals such as Disco ?
    So it’s a no from me.

Stendel would be a good appointment as HC,
    A few things to remember about Stendel.

He got the sack - but it was Conway who sacked him.
    Later we got to know a little bit more about how Conway operated at the Club.
    So is there any wonder Stendel had a falling out with Conway and was looking to work elsewhere ?

When Stendel was last in charge here - the club was still going through the transitional stage from the old system of 442 to how we line up now at 352 or 343.
    For example - the Stendel squad had wingers and what would be described as proper full backs .
    Those positions no longer exist at the club.
    That is to say Struber was trying to win games while also trying to adapt the system with the players he had got.
    He wouldn’t have to adapt the system now.
    The system is in place - and it’s one that Stendel will be more accustomed to and comfortable with.

Although saying that - Collins has ridden a coach and horses over the system so it will take any new HC a while to reset things.
    That could take a couple of weeks to more than a couple of months.

A further consideration is the quality of players back then - is far better than what we have now.
    Players from the Stendel squad had been in the Championship team.

But as said before - because of the recent HC we haven’t really had a chance to properly gauge the new players we have now.
    Plus of course there’s new players to come in during this summer.

If it is Stendel then I’d be pleased with that.
    Only concern is - I hope that his hunger and willingness to win hasn’t diminished over the years.
    Hourihane will be back with us in some capacity I'm sure, before too long. I've been saying that he'll be a decent coach one day since the time that he was playing for us. He was a good captain. He's just proven that with Derby. His legs may have gone to some extent but he's still got a footballing brain that makes up for his lack of energy. So maybe there are opportunities to integrate him into the squad. He's certainly got plenty of experience including what it takes to get promotion at this level.

I agree, and for those who say he is past it he played in 47 games last season in which 41 of those were in the league which resulted in a promotion season , so his contribution was significant , if his fitness levels are good and there is nothing to suggest they are not then there is no reason why he cannot continue in the same vain for us this year. I also think Nudger dismissing him as a coach is harsh, who knows ? they all have to start somewhere and Barnsley fans should remember what happened when we gave a similar opportunity to a certain Danny Wilson , for me he should be given a chance , he has played at international level and knows our club and fan base , he would bring great experience both on and off the pitch , so for me if he wants the gig then give him a go .

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    Hourihane will be back with us in some capacity I'm sure, before too long. I've been saying that he'll be a decent coach one day since the time that he was playing for us. He was a good captain. He's just proven that with Derby. His legs may have gone to some extent but he's still got a footballing brain that makes up for his lack of energy. So maybe there are opportunities to integrate him into the squad. He's certainly got plenty of experience including what it takes to get promotion at this level.
    Get him in that’s what I say Arbs a no brainer.

I’m not a big believer in going back, whether it’s a player or manager, they’ll be with a different group of players with different work ethics and abilities but one things for sure they’ll get the backing from the terraces so if they do come back let’s hope it works.

I would love to see Conor back. He might not be quite as impressive as when we last saw him here but he would still bring something to our squad. Much needed experience for one. As those set pieces again…

Warming more to the idea of Stendel and getting his passion and press back. That probably means we’ll not even appoint him and instead will be someone not even in the betting list!

Whoever is in the dugout come August will need some decent signings over the summer to help them. Big summer ahead.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast