+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

VAR would be a lot better if we simplified the rules. For example, offside! If a defender the other side of the pitch can keep you onside, it shouldn't matter if you're "interfering" with play or not, you're offside if there is only one player between the attacker and the goal. With this change, we can use cameras like in the world cup to do offside nearly instantly and automatically. This frees up the assistants to help the ref on penalties and fouls meaning no real need for VAR. Then switch to a review system (FIFA are trialing it) where the ref just goes to the screen and can direct the camera views themselves to review the incident. No need for a bunch of refs to be video refs then, its simpler and we don't have the whole wait for a goal to be checked

VAR vote done and it was 19-1 in favour of keeping it, only Wolves voted against it.

That's a strange outcome given the amount of bleating Florist have been doing (including this morning, indirectly, with an interview on the BBC with Clattenburg). You would have thought they would have sided with Wolves.

Go to have something for the cretins to talk about over and over on Match of the day

In my opinion they started all this by showing the mistakes in games over and over again on Match of the Day...

Today's vote was a publicity stunt by Wolves. VAR isn't going anywhere. The important discussion is how to improve the quality of the referees interpreting it, which is where the real problem lies. All VAR does is provide officials with the chance to watch back incidents and correct mistakes, but it has served to expose - albeit in a small number of cases that get a lot of attention - how poor the knowledge of some referees is.

Spot on (Jackal). Wolves threw their toys out of the pram, albeit understandably. What VAR has shown, and we shall eventually be grateful, is just how poor and how lacking in basic intelligence most of our refs are. For the sort of money they get, you'd have thought they would know their job rather better. Other than the perennial Taylor and Oliver, only Madley who I thought was outstanding in the Cup Final stands out as understanding they are enabling a multi billion pound business for 90+ minutes

Quote Originally Posted by M0ufMk3 View Post
    Spot on (Jackal). Wolves threw their toys out of the pram, albeit understandably. What VAR has shown, and we shall eventually be grateful, is just how poor and how lacking in basic intelligence most of our refs are.
    I couldn't disagree more. The officials in general do as good a job as human error allows. VAR will look at something for 5 minutes with the benefit of all camera angles and slow motion replays, and still get it wrong. Even then the 'experts' on MOTD will disagree on what was right. How the f@ck can you expect a ref and lino to get it right in a split second?????

Human error has been part and parcel of the game since day one. We win some, we lose some, and I said exactly the same after Coventry were gifted a 3 goal advantage in the playoff semis. If VAR ever came to our level, I would seriously consider calling it a day.

It might be a clever ploy by Wolves, maybe the officials will be a bit more biased in their favour in future.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It might be a clever ploy by Wolves, maybe the officials will be a bit more biased in their favour in future.
    That was Forest's plan when they employed Clattenburg.

It failed miserably.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast