+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is not a wind up

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We didnt strengthen our defence, but we signed an ageing player for old times sake and appointed 3 idiots masquerading as a management team....
    Spot on + a player or two that were injured when we signed them that the budget could have been spent on a decent League 2 defender/ goalkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We didnt strengthen our defence, but we signed an ageing player for old times sake and appointed 3 idiots masquerading as a management team....
    Spot on Durham

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Nobody would be pretending otherwise if Notts had done what almost any other club would have done and got rid of him after the utterly appalling run he took us on, they'd be praising the owners for realising they'd made a mistake and acting swiftly. It's only because he's still going to be here next season that fans have to convince themselves it was other factors.

Had Maynard replaced Williams mid-way through the promotion season and screwed it up to the point of missing out on the play offs, condemning us to another year in the NL, you'd have had some people making excuses on the basis we never genuinely looked like going up under LW, that we only won 1 of the opening four games, lost to Dorking and that LW could not have kept winning with that defence.
    Spot on. Pretty much everyone agreed Maynard was rubbish and had to go, but then the owners put that statement out and it all goes Saddam’s spokesman during the Gulf War with people falling over themselves to find reasons for our decline except the bleedin obvious.

whether or not SM turns out to be the new messiah, I applaud the bros effort to build an identifiable footballing culture at Notts. I'd still say there's a good chance he will turn out to be L2 to L1 promotion challenging standard - but it's also so v.ital we get recruitment right this off season.
    Last edited by Mud Pie; 19-05-2024 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion_Road View Post
    You seemed to be doing so well at first that I thought you were going up.
    What happened to derail you?
    Pretty simple really. We didn't score enough goals and we let too many in.

Poor close season recruitment. An ageing side, 3 key injuries, the departure of Luke Williams and the disastrous appointment of SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
    I'd still say there's a good chance he will turn out to be L2 to L1 promotion challenging standard.
    If he does get us promotion it will prove he was the right appointment. If he doesn't it will be down to the players. It's a win/win for SM. For those of us who don't buy green bananas, his 3 year contract seems like a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    If he does get us promotion it will prove he was the right appointment. If he doesn't it will be down to the players. It's a win/win for SM. For those of us who don't buy green bananas, his 3 year contract seems like a very long time.
    well not many manager's contracts go to term, but I just meant that SM was elevated into the spotlight with an already inconsistent team who'd lost a very popular manager. He didn't do very well, but with the support of the board, a full pre-season, and hopefully a bit of dosh to spend, he's got the perfect opportunity to prove his metal, if he has any. I don't know if he has any metal, bit erratic last season, but I reckon there's a greater than 50-50 chance the bros and their advisors know what they're doing.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 20-05-2024 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
    he's got the perfect opportunity to prove his metal, if he has any. I don't know if he has any metal.
    We lacked steel at the back, and Maynard couldn't iron out the problem.

But don't forget every cloud has a silver lining, so he could strike gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    We lacked steel at the back, and Maynard couldn't iron out the problem.

But don't forget every cloud has a silver lining, so he could strike gold.
    He lost all credibility with the last minute corner at FGR. Instead of urging the lads forward to get an equalizer, he stood there with his hands in his pockets and allowed them to take a short corner. Plus, his explanation at the fans forum when questioned about it. Obviously he hasn't got a clue..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast