+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Wrexham

Putting the Farrell v Deadpool discussion to one side, and I kniw I'll get grief and comments like "go and support Wrexham then" but I watch the first series (before their promotion etc.) and I wish we had had the kind of owners with their belief in the club, the supporters, the community, when the guardianship of LUFC passed from Mr Silver. We would have been, and remain, unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Putting the Farrell v Deadpool discussion to one side, and I kniw I'll get grief and comments like "go and support Wrexham then" but I watch the first series (before their promotion etc.) and I wish we had had the kind of owners with their belief in the club, the supporters, the community, when the guardianship of LUFC passed from Mr Silver. We would have been, and remain, unstoppable.
    Mmm, I've noted your flag waving of Mr Silver (quite rightly) & certainly back in 1992 Leeds Utd were a football club with an industrious team harnessed together under Wilko, which 4 years later sparked Caspians interest (who bought us) when we were floated.
    They said they wanted Leeds to "form the cornerstone of their strategy to create one of Europe's leading sports, leisure & media groups".

For me the words "group" or part of a group (above) still don't resonate even today after several owners because of the local disentachment elements missing at Boardroom level.

But regardless, i personally know fans that'll be at Wembley of ages 7 to 70 still supporting the club & team - some of whom still yearning for those Civic old school duty core values of Mr Silver.

As a 9 year old my first trip to Wembley in '96 ended with Villa stuffing us 3-0 & i hope the 49'ers can revisit that year & try even harder to get more locals on the actual Board to further enlighten what the team actually means to its city like back in '96.

But ultimately the likes of Mr Silver back then, who were all for selling-up clubs by being floated on the Stock Exchange, were also moving away the valued ethical "football club" element of those businesses into the hands of cold calculating holding companies which is a question rightly or wrongly to be looked at too, surely when flag waving owners virtues back in the day ?

For me in essence, English football was being monetised even then via greedy-eyes only focused on the then 1997 PL Tv deal which then was worth £670m over 4 years which later then jumped into £1billion by 2001.

So was English football transformed for the better back then lke now - as in my eyes all financial opportunity scenarios of "He Who Dares" often attracts many £'s selling & buying & Mr Silver by his own humble admission knew when to buy, sell & move on did he not.

Possibly, Tony Bloom the Brighton owner is a model of how a club should be run nowadays?
    Dunno how many philanthropy folks the city of Leeds has nowadays but they sure aint looking to join the 49ers yet even if they've been hunting them out.

Just saying.😊

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...t-a127966.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Mmm, I've noted your flag waving of Mr Silver (quite rightly) & certainly back in 1992 Leeds Utd were a football club with an industrious team harnessed together under Wilko, which 4 years later sparked Caspians interest (who bought us) when we were floated.
    They said they wanted Leeds to "form the cornerstone of their strategy to create one of Europe's leading sports, leisure & media groups".

For me the words "group" or part of a group (above) still don't resonate even today after several owners because of the local disentachment elements missing at Boardroom level.

But regardless, i personally know fans that'll be at Wembley of ages 7 to 70 still supporting the club & team - some of whom still yearning for those Civic old school duty core values of Mr Silver.

As a 9 year old my first trip to Wembley in '96 ended with Villa stuffing us 3-0 & i hope the 49'ers can revisit that year & try even harder to get more locals on the actual Board to further enlighten what the team actually means to its city like back in '96.

But ultimately the likes of Mr Silver back then, who were all for selling-up clubs by being floated on the Stock Exchange, were also moving away the valued ethical "football club" element of those businesses into the hands of cold calculating holding companies which is a question rightly or wrongly to be looked at too, surely when flag waving owners virtues back in the day ?

For me in essence, English football was being monetised even then via greedy-eyes only focused on the then 1997 PL Tv deal which then was worth £670m over 4 years which later then jumped into £1billion by 2001.

So was English football transformed for the better back then lke now - as in my eyes all financial opportunity scenarios of "He Who Dares" often attracts many £'s selling & buying & Mr Silver by his own humble admission knew when to buy, sell & move on did he not.

Possibly, Tony Bloom the Brighton owner is a model of how a club should be run nowadays?
    Dunno how many philanthropy folks the city of Leeds has nowadays but they sure aint looking to join the 49ers yet even if they've been hunting them out.

Just saying.��

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...t-a127966.html
    Interesting post MT, and appreciate the inclusion of the link.

Mr Silver was no saint, that's for sure, but as your post and the linked article point out, he WAS Leeds, as much a part of the community as anyone, and with an extra dose of commitment borne out of his Jewish faith and the experiences gained during WWII. I suspect that both played a part in his discussions with Manny Cussins!.

Clearly that can't be said of the new Wrexham owners, but even in the short time covered by the first few episodes of Series one, plus the evidence provided by their performance on the pitch, their effect on the club is quite remarkable.

Of course you're right regarding the monetising of football, in terms of its longevity and effects. Doing what has been done at Wrexham in the Championship is nigh on impossible, given the sums of money required, so my wish for it is just that, a wish, unlikely ever to become reality......but.......Changes on the part of the board (the inclusion of community representatives as you mention being one such), can help to repair broken links from the Cellino/Radrizzani periods. A great deal can be achieved for not much money, if the will is there.

Well, after todays debacle, I thought I'd try and rekindle my belief in the footballlng gods by watching a couple more episodes. Glad I did, but makes me long even more for something at Leeds that echoes the "stuff" that Reynolds and Mackilhenny (?) has done at Wrexham.

Spoiler alert;

First season of their tenure, they finish second, so no auto promotion to the football league (sound familiar?)

They lose in the final of the FA Trophy at Wembley (not something we have been troubled by)

They lose the playoff game against Grimsby and fail to get promotion (Sound familiar?).

But.......their failures are writ large on the faces of ALL concerned, the players, coaches, staff, supporters AND OWNERS. They have been "in it" for less than twelve months, but they GET IT.

Did anyone see Parathe today? He might have been seething inside, but he looked like he was made of stone. I DON'T WANT THAT.!!!!!! I'd rather have a maniac like Cellino and his passion on display than some detached, civilised, "professional" owner who DOAN'T get it.

Watch the last four episodes (that's only about two hours!), well worth your time.

Ignore all my posts if that suits, apart from this.....

Watch this series, every episode of every series, and you're not moved by what foitball in general and the new custodians of Wrexham specifically can achieve, you have no soul.

Ok, i'll bite (gently).

Fans & owners expectation & expectancy from their football clubs today ?

For many expectations versus expectancy seem synonymous but in fact are emotionally different. They both deal with "anticipated" behaviours.

The 'former' we impose on the people we care about whereas the 'latter' we accept.
    Withdrawal of that acceptance is the issue that is of concern for most fans.
    Such acceptance (Wrexham) runs the risk of indulging in repetitive acts of compliance - great for now but for how long ?

Unfortunately, many of us get expectation & expentancy confused because we believe or assume others have our expectations when the truth is they don’t !

Now into my third year of a Diploma study for BSc (Hons) Psychology, a four year part-time online study option available to non-residents of the UK which allows me to remain in French employment & manage other commitments regarding my health while studying which has taught me lots about finding balance.

Football gives an interesting logical way into writing a thesis sample & gives you useful research experience, not strictly necessary but it awakens on mass a plethitude of emotions to work on, for sure.So thanks for that WTF👍

Just watch the series, please. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Just watch the series, please. Nothing more.
    I have seen the Wrexham series 1&2 via Canal plus access but i am also aware of some friction the club has created in their quest, through FSA correspondence & various English news journals - hence my "expectation" reference & wider comments for balance & fair consideration over the portrayed series you enjoy. 😇

The Spectator August 2023.

Sir: In his otherwise astute defence of non-League football, Neil Clark states that since being taken over by Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, Wrexham FC ‘have not looked back’.
    Here in north Wales, this is not the view of all Wrexham supporters. The actors’ determination to make the club a global brand may have widened its fan base and helped secure promotion last season. However, in the process, the club has forfeited much of the homespun identity that Clark alludes to when explaining the appeal of lower League football. With so many new fans and with blocks of seats routinely put aside for the club’s international supporters, many lifelong fans from the Wrexham area now find it impossible to obtain match tickets. And while pre-season games once involved trips to places not too far away – Stoke, for example – today’s team jets off to the USA to play a Manchester United youth team.

Richard Kelly
    Nant Mawr, Flintshire

I’ve watched some and read the Paul Mullen autobiography, it is a good watch so far, I feel we’ll be playing Wrexham in the league soon in some capacity, either they’ll keep climbing to meet us, or god forbid we go the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    I have seen the Wrexham series 1&2 via Canal plus access but i am also aware of some friction the club has created in their quest, through FSA correspondence & various English news journals - hence my "expectation" reference & wider comments for balance & fair consideration over the portrayed series you enjoy. ��

The Spectator August 2023.

Sir: In his otherwise astute defence of non-League football, Neil Clark states that since being taken over by Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, Wrexham FC ‘have not looked back’.
    Here in north Wales, this is not the view of all Wrexham supporters. The actors’ determination to make the club a global brand may have widened its fan base and helped secure promotion last season. However, in the process, the club has forfeited much of the homespun identity that Clark alludes to when explaining the appeal of lower League football. With so many new fans and with blocks of seats routinely put aside for the club’s international supporters, many lifelong fans from the Wrexham area now find it impossible to obtain match tickets. And while pre-season games once involved trips to places not too far away – Stoke, for example – today’s team jets off to the USA to play a Manchester United youth team.

Richard Kelly
    Nant Mawr, Flintshire
    In a situation where the support is numbered in the tens of thousands (before and after the acquisition), it is inevitable that not all will be on board with everything that the new owners instigate, plus ca change.

I wasn't suggesting that all in the Wrexham journey is perfect. I WAS suggesting that by watching the series it shows the essential essence of what football can achieve, for those who support it, those who manage players, those who strategise and plan for the future, and the players (not the overpaid prima-donnas of the Premiership (and The Championship), but those in many cases who are paid not much more than the national average wage). That's not simply as a successful football team, but as catalyst for change and improvement in both material and psychological/emotional ways, far outside the realms of the club itself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)