+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Year or Fear!

I repeat what I said earlier in this thread, beware a) the fickleness of the population and b) the Tories determination to win, and don’t bet against a Tory victory. I declare no allegiance in saying this but there will be many a twist and turn

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I repeat what I said earlier in this thread, beware a) the fickleness of the population and b) the Tories determination to win, and don’t bet against a Tory victory. I declare no allegiance in saying this but there will be many a twist and turn
    I don’t bet, AF, and neither do I have quite the political allegiance you, and certainly Tricky, might imagine…but I’ll be bloody glad to see the end of this particular group of smug, cruel, dishonest, corrupt incompetents. It’ll take something astonishing to prevent a Tory hammering…biggest question, imo, is likely to be how the void is filled…i.e. how well Richard Tice’s bunch, the Liberals and the Greens do. We’ll see.

We all know what happened in 92. I think a coalition is a possibility, although both labour and lib dems have ruled it out but suspect if they needed to form one they would.

Normally I'd agree and of course almost anything could happen, BUT I shall certainly be betting against a Tory victory, however, by what margin Labour win is open to question., I suspect it will be tighter than some pundits are forecasting.

The only way the Tory party might be able to shore matters up is if Reform don't field that many candidates, which I'd say is the reason for the election being called, to minimise Reforms ability to organise, its already running short of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Normally I'd agree and of course almost anything could happen, BUT I shall certainly be betting against a Tory victory, however, by what margin Labour win is open to question., I suspect it will be tighter than some pundits are forecasting.

The only way the Tory party might be able to shore matters up is if Reform don't field that many candidates, which I'd say is the reason for the election being called, to minimise Reforms ability to organise, its already running short of funds.
    Yes a well run Reform effort may sink the Tories and one thing I’d def bet on, Reform won’t get a seat

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t bet, AF, and neither do I have quite the political allegiance you, and certainly Tricky, might imagine…but I’ll be bloody glad to see the end of this particular group of smug, cruel, dishonest, corrupt incompetents. It’ll take something astonishing to prevent a Tory hammering…biggest question, imo, is likely to be how the void is filled…i.e. how well Richard Tice’s bunch, the Liberals and the Greens do. We’ll see.
    Answer = Reform 0, Greens 1, LibDems not enough to make a difference as usual, the impact of Reform on Tory performance being the potential ‘killer’.

I think you’ve worn your small p political allegiances fully on your sleeve although I don’t think there’s a party that fits it, reinforced by your quaint inability to refer to those you dislike by their common names (‘Richard Tice’s bunch the latest)

It's not going to happen but I'd love to see the state of "gammonness" that would engulf rA if the Tories overcame the odds and retained power! That, along with a return of Trump across the water, may see blood pressure levels reach unprecedented levels, so be calm rA, we need you.

Answer = Reform 0, Greens 1, LibDems not enough to make a difference as usual, the impact of Reform on Tory performance being the potential ‘killer’.

I think you’ve worn your small p political allegiances fully on your sleeve although I don’t think there’s a party that fits it, reinforced by your quaint inability to refer to those you dislike by their common names (‘Richard Tice’s bunch the latest)
    ‘Quaint’…love it…been called worse…not an adjective I’ve ever been associated with before, makes me sound like a Devon tea shop.

My point, in response to yours, was…I don’t think there is much doubt the Tories will lose. Complacency and failure to turn out
    might prove the biggest problem. Hopefully not.
    Beyond that the biggest question may be, where will the many disgruntled Conservatives who can’t bring themselves to vote Labour - GP springs to mind - decide to place their cross?
    Team Tice/Oakeshott - though not Farage, who has apparently decided that supporting Trump is now more important/lucrative - will be hopeful under the name of ReformUK. Let’s face it though, they’re just UKIP in disguise…but then you’d want a disguise, having been responsible for the greatest self inflicted wound in modern history, wouldn’t you?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-05-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Red Tories it is then. Very little will change... IMO.

FYI rA I have only ever voted conservative once (to get Bliar out) and never labour: Green since the disposal of Bliar. I might vote for a left-centre party but it would need to change it's name from "labour" as that name has too many negative overtones to attract me.

Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)