+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Game in Australia

Game in Australia

Just watched the first half at work (currently 1-1)..

Game is just so slow, all players look knackered.. Trippier came off after 30 minutes..

This whole thing is just stupid.. jet lagged players, Joelinton went down at one point holding his knee..

I'm not watching second half but I hope he substitutes the full team and lets the young'uns play

Agreed, it's absolutely ridiculous. At least it gets it out of the way straight off the bat.
    Unfortunately, raising our profile to raise our profits means we have to do things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Agreed, it's absolutely ridiculous. At least it gets it out of the way straight off the bat.
    Unfortunately, raising our profile to raise our profits means we have to do things like this.
    Not a fan of it but the crowd absolutely loved it. Lot of Exiled Geordies live down under. 80,000 turned out to see that match and most were in Black and White.

Shows the force of support we have all over the world. Unlike Spurs or City who had to generate their fanbases artificially.

The Geordie Empire covers the globe.

Well worth the trip for the lads and lasses down under who get up at 2-3 am to watch us kick off on a saturday afternoon in the UK.

It's a money grab sure but if it means we go on to sign Eze or Olesa or a player of that quality due to these over seas trips giving us the additional income, then so be it!

The Trips sub was planned apperently to support his recovery.

I think Australia was a bit far… but, just how hard are these really working? And, it may be the end of the Prem season, but with the FA cup and Champs League final still to play (of which we have competed in both - and not going to lie, wouldn’t be complaining if we were still to play in either of those ) I don’t see the fuss of flying the squad to Australia for what I suspect is a working holiday.

In that sort of vain, not a fan of a 39th game abroad… but what are people’s thoughts of Champs League final being played outside of Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    In that sort of vain, not a fan of a 39th game abroad… but what are people’s thoughts of Champs League final being played outside of Europe?
    no, it's a European competition of European Clubs & the fans of those clubs deserve to be able to be in full force. It is not a toy for UEFA to send over to Saudi or China to milk for money.

FIFA and UEFA need to get a grip. Get the other world regions to up their game and make their domestic leagues & regional competitions more competitive with the European quality.

I live in the Middle East, here in Qatar, the 'Stars League' matches have an open door policy at the stadiums where you can just walk in as it's free and less than 1000 people are in the stands. Al Ahli get some bigger crowds but never capacity.

They don't have the engagement, their kids are not obsessed like Europeans so why do they deserve to have the Finale of Football's Elite club competition dropped on their lap?

I understand the business and finance side of things. However, as a football fan, a true fan of the game, I will object to all the Super League and games going out of Europe to my dying breath.

It is unacceptable.

Funny how UEFA said 'Any club who continues with Super League proposals will be banned from all competitions & their players will not play in the UEFA European Cup.

Yet Madrid who are the champion of Super League are in the final of the Champions League this season and not one word has been mentioned about banning their players from this summers European championship.

Stinks as bad an ManUre's dodgy dealings to sign C-Ashworth.

So Raga, I take it that the WC in Qatar didn’t quite give the footballing ‘lift off’ that was promised in the region? Never mind, the brown envelopes have all been delivered.

I agree - our leagues and cups are popular around the world because they are in Europe. Why dilute it by playing finals outside the Continent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    no, it's a European competition of European Clubs & the fans of those clubs deserve to be able to be in full force. It is not a toy for UEFA to send over to Saudi or China to milk for money.

FIFA and UEFA need to get a grip. Get the other world regions to up their game and make their domestic leagues & regional competitions more competitive with the European quality.

I live in the Middle East, here in Qatar, the 'Stars League' matches have an open door policy at the stadiums where you can just walk in as it's free and less than 1000 people are in the stands. Al Ahli get some bigger crowds but never capacity.

They don't have the engagement, their kids are not obsessed like Europeans so why do they deserve to have the Finale of Football's Elite club competition dropped on their lap?

I understand the business and finance side of things. However, as a football fan, a true fan of the game, I will object to all the Super League and games going out of Europe to my dying breath.

It is unacceptable.

Funny how UEFA said 'Any club who continues with Super League proposals will be banned from all competitions & their players will not play in the UEFA European Cup.

Yet Madrid who are the champion of Super League are in the final of the Champions League this season and not one word has been mentioned about banning their players from this summers European championship.

Stinks as bad as ManUre's dodgy dealings to sign C-Ashworth.
    Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not all for it… but with say the Saudi’s chucking money around, and seemingly becoming the ‘go to’ place, do you see this as something that may eventually happen?

I honestly don’t know. Would UEFA sell their souls for a world stage, would the clubs (owners in reality) want to play the biggest club came in world football outside of Europe to the highest bidder?

It is just something I’m starting to see as a big possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    So Raga, I take it that the WC in Qatar didn’t quite give the footballing ‘lift off’ that was promised in the region? Never mind, the brown envelopes have all been delivered.

I agree - our leagues and cups are popular around the world because they are in Europe. Why dilute it by playing finals outside the Continent?
    Not really. Qatar has a native Qatari Population of 300,000. They each earn $110,000 a year in salary to start. If they don't work they still get paid. They simply don't care so much about anything unless it's the absolute best of the best of anything. No one buys or wears a Tudor, it's Rolex only. The call watches 'Rolex' not Wrist watch.

Their interests are very varied, the love love love their cars, watches, handbags & shoes for the women. There are brands I've never heard of that are here in the malls. Some sell swimming shorts for $1200 etc. Totally insane spending. The UAE are the same.

They are patriotic people and support Qatar national team but at club level, the majority couldn't care less.

They don't care about the sport they care that they, Qatar were first to host a World Cup. Saudi were jealous so they decided to host the World Cup, then 'won the bid'. Now Saudi will have to host the World Cup Bigger and better than anyone has ever seen on any continent to eclipse the fact Qatar were first.

It's Ultimate 'one-up-man-ship!'

The Saudi's are far more engaged in football and love the sport, they all have local Saudi Pro league teams but also they support a European team. One of the things I'm engaged with is the strategy to convert the Saudi Real Madrid, Barca, Liverpool fans to NUFC fans.

FIFA be FIFAING!

We all know how dirty that organisation is, the stuck 3 bids together so that Saudi could have the 2034 World cup. It's so blatant, what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not all for it… but with say the Saudi’s chucking money around, and seemingly becoming the ‘go to’ place, do you see this as something that may eventually happen?

I honestly don’t know. Would UEFA sell their souls for a world stage, would the clubs (owners in reality) want to play the biggest club came in world football outside of Europe to the highest bidder?

It is just something I’m starting to see as a big possibility.
    I just don't see it happening.

Saudi are not a UEFA nation, they aren't and never will be. They will invest heavily in the 'Pro League' however it will be more like the Chinese project than something that will rival UEFA.

The region just isn't strong enough.

Personally I would like to see Russian, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan etc and possibly even Turkey compete in a Middle East regional competition.

It would make more sense than English teams flying to Kazan in Tatarstan (yes it is where the fish sauce originates) for a mid-week European match when they are 3 time zones east of me in Qatar which is still completely mental in my opinion.

Also the fans of the likes of Real Madrid or a Bayern (especially the Germans who absolutely hate the Middle financial influence in Europe in general) allowing that to happen. A German club would probably pull out of the final if they tried to move the final outside of Europe to a Gulf state.

Also the crowd will be flat. During the world cup the locals got some insanely good seats. The Turned up for kick off, took their Snap Chat Selfies and were heading for the exit after 30 mins.

They just don't get it or care, too rich, too many other things attracting their attention.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)