+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia Tour Not Gone to Plan

Australia Tour Not Gone to Plan

Performed poorly against Spurs.. and just beaten 8-0 against A-League All Stars..

I thought we were supposed to be raising our profile.....

It was a money play and a way for Howe to assess the youth players he took along.

Don't think the result makes much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    It was a money play and a way for Howe to assess the youth players he took along.

Don't think the result makes much difference.
    It makes a huge difference for Newcastle fans and potential Newcastle fans that paid money to see that..

I'm sorry but there is no positive spin on that result for anyone in Australia

I don’t take any notice of preseason friendly results and so take even less notice of this one.

I agree, though, that if this was a commercial exercise then it seems strange. If I was paying to watch the toon in Oz, I’d want to see the star players on the pitch.
    I get the impression that the MCG game was the main (only?) event and this game was a kick about for the youngsters against a local side, tacked on.

Jeez - I hadn't seen that - which shows how meaningless it is to me I guess.
    But, boy, that is not a good look, to say the least......... You can't be growing a "product" if your product is going to get tonked 8-0

Aye, the optics aren't good, young team or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Aye, the optics aren't good, young team or not.
    Aye never good to take a humping however it depends on who's optics we're viewing through.

If EH had told the higher ups 'I want to showcase the quality of the academy player to gauge the level of players we've got in the youth set up' he made his point that the majority of the youth we have on the books are not good enough to come through the ranks and that this is an area needing major investment and development.

So a bad result might have a major long term benefit for the club as a whole.

Either way taking a mauling is never good for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

So a bad result might have a major long term benefit for the club as a whole.
    Well, I thought I was always looking on the bright side of things - but you have me beaten into a cocked hat!: Great!

I mean at the end of the day, after a long season and then a game against Spurs . . . that we won to highlight a point, even if we played poorly - isn't the sign of a good team, winning when playing badly.

We were never going to put out all the first team again 2 days later.

Yes - it's **** for the Aussie fans and I'd be massively pissed if I was them but I get why he's done it, highlighted the point that below first team we need money spent.

Futher end of the day, earned us £3 million which is the equivelent of 49K a week on wage bill for next season.

Oh, aye, definitely no blame attached to Eddie here.

Just glad it's done now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)