+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The exodus begins

The exodus begins

Bye bye Nev

Gillingham! Must be wages only - wonder how much they're paying...

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Gillingham! Must be wages only - wonder how much they're paying...
    Its only a week ago since we lost at Wembley and wonder if he was speaking to them before that game? It seems a poorish move when as top scorer, L1 clubs could have signed him for a lot higher wages? So it is probably wages which one would think to be substantially higher than Crewe..Possibly double or triple?

LB was a bit presumptious suggesting he wanted to keep all the squad together and the Chairman said a couple of weeks ago that even if we won at Wembley and had a good season in L1, the club would only break even. That suggests we are losing quite a bit of money in L2 and why wages has always been an issue with that great big albatross around our neck that he thinks the club needs...He needs to look at most of the clubs in L1 and L2 to see they don't need a Cat2 and never have...

Gillingham is a similar size to us and so just wondered why Nevitt would go so far away in the same league?.. It doesn't seem like an improvement but money talks in this game! I suggest we need a new midfield and a new CH and some Strikers urgently. We surely will take a chance on injury prone players..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 25-05-2024 at 11:51 AM.

Hope for Nev's sake he does better than our last striker who jumped ship for Gillingham. (Mikael Mandron)

The speed at which the deal was concluded indicates that he must have had contact prior to the match. Obviously grateful for his goals this season but he is a bull in a china shop as a striker and I cannot see him as League One material. How quickly the offer of more money erases loyalty and gratitude.

I won't mention figures but from a reliable source we made him a very good offer, top end moneywise for us, Gillingham more than trebled our bid, a lot nearer to 5 figures than 4 per week, which puts him on an extremely good salary. Mind blowing. Can't fault him at all and just shows where we are in the pecking order.

What I can't understand is why he didn't hang on for an offer from a higher placed team. Surely there would have been better offers in a short while. Also, when is his contract up? Surely his contract hasn't finished.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    What I can't understand is why he didn't hang on for an offer from a higher placed team. Surely there would have been better offers in a short while. Also, when is his contract up? Surely his contract hasn't finished.
    End of June I guess as he signed for 18 months in January 2023 I think, though i agree often we only used to hear of these moves when actually out of contract. Helpful to know now of course for LB, looking at signing priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    He was unlikely to get an improved offer, if rumor's about his offer from Gillingham are correct. Get the deal signed then go and get some sun on a beach somewhere, no point in hanging around in the hope of something better. He's a big loss but I get where he is coming from, this is his best season in league football and now he has got the rewards for the goals he has scored, unfortunately elsewhere, but at his age you have to chase the money.

LB has been here a very long time and he knows that we pay one of the lowest wages in the whole of professional football and so no way is any player wanting to stay here if other clubs will play a lot higher wages. So it was highly presumptious to think all the squad would want to stay here...Its not a silly question to ask how the heck can Gills pay a lot more than we can...Are all these clubs run by american millionaires?

There is no such word as 'loyalty' in any job including football when its people's natural choice to go where the money is..It would be interesting to know how much we pay the players compared with other clubs in the lower leagues and even non league..We surely cannot afford to pay for a Cat2 academy when its costing the club so much money that we cannot compete with other clubs our size. Of course its possible that it cost the club next to nothing and why the Chairman persists with it...but we are losing a lot of money in L2..Is it possible we would be signing players who spend more time injured, than playing? Its still crazy to have so many non footballers at a club our size when each one means lower wages for the players!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 28-05-2024 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast