+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Managers, old players other clubs

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    If we play a pressing high tempo, up and at em type of game.

How do the ageing legs of Hourihane fit into that approach?

Good player but not sure about him
    Yep.
    You might not be sure - but I am.
    It’s a big NO from me.
    It’s a football club - not a care home.

From the Sormaz interviews - there are indications coming from the club that we will be seeing a much more attractive and energetic style of play this coming season.
    Exciting times ahead.
    Hourihane - although skilful - was a relatively slow player the last time he was here - he’s not going to get any quicker as he gets older.

Only reason I can see Hourihane coming to Barnsley will be because he was well liked as a person by Patrick - so he may be a friend of the family.
    They might find him a job somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Yep.
    You might not be sure - but I am.
    It’s a big NO from me.
    It’s a football club - not a care home.

From the Sormaz interviews - there are indications coming from the club that we will be seeing a much more attractive and energetic style of play this coming season.
    Exciting times ahead.
    Hourihane - although skilful - was a relatively slow player the last time he was here - he’s not going to get any quicker as he gets older.

Only reason I can see Hourihane coming to Barnsley will be because he was well liked as a person by Patrick - so he may be a friend of the family.
    They might find him a job somewhere.
    Was it a care home at Derby 4 weeks ago when Hourihane captained his team to promotion ? He played in 47 games which does not indicate that his legs have gone and how many of our players managed that amount of game time for us last season ? . He would bring a wealth of experience from the top levels of football both on the pitch and in the dressing room which would be invaluable but I have already worked you out Nudger , you pick out a player who you know is a good player , who you know would be a popular player with the fans and then you set about pulling him down at every opportunity, last season you did it with Kane and if Hourihane comes here then he will become your target , it appears to me that you take great pleasure in trying to wind people up but unfortunately for you we are not the gullible targets from the BBS and contributors on this forum can see right through you .

Doug O’Kane:

Conor Hourihane still in talks with Barnsley over a return, I understand.

Not aware of deal being done yet but getting close.

I'm a believer of getting young uns in and to hell with experienced players. Why would tha need experience or a player with any genuine football nous and intelligence?

The club felt last season that any kind of experience was unnecessary in order to gain promotion. They signed a novice head coach, got rid of Norwood, brought in 3 novice defenders from nowhere. Makes great sense to me!

What I'd class as a pretty safe bet is Hourihane if he returns that is .

Your going to get a consistent 7 out of 10 every game and his value will not just be limited to the field , someone the lads can look up to for guidance etc etc .

His attributes aren't the same has he displayed in his first spell although that quality delivery at set pieces won't ever leave him , the legs aren't the same of course they aren't but the brain still works .

Wide right or wide left of the midfield is where I picture him playing and just keeping the ball moving with the ball doing the work and not the legs .

Looks like there are more positives than negatives regarding Connor returning. Hes been quality and would bring much needed onfield experience.

I hope he fits the playing style. It would be a more inspiring signing than many I have seen under this ownership.

Good luck if he arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Was it a care home at Derby 4 weeks ago when Hourihane captained his team to promotion ? He played in 47 games which does not indicate that his legs have gone and how many of our players managed that amount of game time for us last season ? . He would bring a wealth of experience from the top levels of football both on the pitch and in the dressing room which would be invaluable but I have already worked you out Nudger , you pick out a player who you know is a good player , who you know would be a popular player with the fans and then you set about pulling him down at every opportunity, last season you did it with Kane and if Hourihane comes here then he will become your target , it appears to me that you take great pleasure in trying to wind people up but unfortunately for you we are not the gullible targets from the BBS and contributors on this forum can see right through you .
    Personally - I don’t think Hourihane fits the team.
    Kane didn’t either - who most on here and other Barnsley outlets thought was one of our better players.

The club allowed Kane - a player that cost £1.2 million - to walk out of the door without making any attempt whatsoever to get him to sign another contract.
    I think we can safely say the clubs assessment of Kane was on the same lines as mine.

Also - dont be shocked to see Phillips sold.
    Who is another player that doesn’t fit the mould.
    Phillips goes missing for long periods in a game.
    The club will have stats showing that.
    Duff said he needed to increase his output.
    He hasn’t done that.
    Sormaz IMO will be looking to offload.

But expect Grant - or players similar to Grant - ie quick, high energy, high input midfielders - to be brought in.

Personally - I don’t think Hourihane fits the team.
    Kane didn’t either - who most on here and other Barnsley outlets thought was one of our better players.

The club allowed Kane - a player that cost £1.2 million - to walk out of the door without making any attempt whatsoever to get him to sign another contract.
    I think we can safely say the clubs assessment of Kane was on the same lines as mine.

Also - dont be shocked to see Phillips sold.
    Who is another player that doesn’t fit the mould.
    Phillips goes missing for long periods in a game.
    The club will have stats showing that.
    Duff said he needed to increase his output.
    He hasn’t done that.
    Sormaz IMO will be looking to offload.

But expect Grant - or players similar to Grant - ie quick, high energy, high input midfielders - to be brought in.
    You are guessing, you have no idea if the club tried to keep any of the departing players or not & neither have I , now if I copied you and offered my guesswork I would guess that our regular first team players who have let their contracts run down would prefer to move to a higher standard and also move to clubs who actually have ambition and are run by people who actually know what they are doing but like I said it is only guesswork .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    You are guessing, you have no idea if the club tried to keep any of the departing players or not & neither have I , now if I copied you and offered my guesswork I would guess that our regular first team players who have let their contracts run down would prefer to move to a higher standard and also move to clubs who actually have ambition and are run by people who actually know what they are doing but like I said it is only guesswork .
    Didn’t you see his interview ?
    And the mood he was in ?

Didn’t you see his interview ?
    And the mood he was in ?
    Nudger you have not read my response , I am referring to all our departing players who let their contacts run down , I have not mentioned any individual and I repeat you you are guessing that the club did not try to keep any of them , you do not know what conversations have taken place , you guess and express your guesses as fact but you do not know any more than the rest of us .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast