+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 📝Matty Platt signs

He or RM mentioned he’s played in a back 3 and it just makes me wonder what we are going to do regarding WBs? I just can’t see how we can keep playing Jones and Nemane there as I think that was a big part of our defensive issues.

Some will argue Nemane may not start and I personally would like to see JJ more inside, as one of the 2 10’s if play that way.

Then you have another 10 and striker and have Mcgoldrick, Langstaff, Scott, Jatta, Crowley and dare I say Morias for those positions which makes me think Jones will stay there or someone will go, feels like someone will go anyway as we have so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle95 View Post
    It's an outstanding signing. We don't need 3 ball playing defenders. Platt in the centre with 2 ball players either side will work just fine. Statistically he's been one of the best defenders in the league for the last 3 years. Ian Evatt and Mark Hughes are 2 gaffers that like the ball on the deck, Platt was a key performer for both. If we could get Rawson from Morecambe, a back 3 of Cameron, Platt and Rawson would work well together imo.
    Not sure Kyle will be with us next season, heard from reliable source ( a current player) he is looking for a move closer to family as his mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckPie View Post
    Not sure Kyle will be with us next season, heard from reliable source ( a current player) he is looking for a move closer to family as his mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    If that is the case i can fully understand. Family should always come first.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Seemingly a great signing.
    An upgrade on defenders is obviously a good thing but my opinion throughout most of last season was our main issue with conceding was the commitment to attack. Particularly away from home we would lose the ball in midfield and by the time that ball hit the back of our net, we were outnumbered.
    When we lost the ball we would often have 8 players ahead of the ball. You can have the best defenders in the world but if you get outnumbered on a counter attack, you’ll concede.
    Matty Palmer plugs those gaps so well, even though he’s not tough tackling. And that’s what we so sorely missed.
    We obviously made way too many individual errors but defending as a unit is where we need to improve.
    This,

I would add that Palmer running laterally ahead of the defensive line looking for the right pass, meant that he did a lot of running, and our defensive players didn't have to do that much at all, relatively. This season we've missed his incisive contribution, but no Matty means the others are knackered. That might explain tiredness leading to a loss of concentration later

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    He or RM mentioned he’s played in a back 3 and it just makes me wonder what we are going to do regarding WBs? I just can’t see how we can keep playing Jones and Nemane there as I think that was a big part of our defensive issues.

Some will argue Nemane may not start and I personally would like to see JJ more inside, as one of the 2 10’s if play that way.

Then you have another 10 and striker and have Mcgoldrick, Langstaff, Scott, Jatta, Crowley and dare I say Morias for those positions which makes me think Jones will stay there or someone will go, feels like someone will go anyway as we have so many.
    I share worries about Jones defensively as a wing back, but why would you move him inside when he got about twelve million assists crossing it from wide?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Yeah, I was hoping we'd move to a back 4 but it doesn't seem to be the case
    If we're sticking with a back three with such attack-minded wing-backs, we'll have to hope that Matty Platt and the other defensive additions to follow really are a very significant upgrade capable of playing as a much more robust unit. The three centre-halves and our deep-lying midfielders will have to be very defensively aware and able if they going to reduce the numbers of goals we concede.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I share worries about Jones defensively as a wing back, but why would you move him inside when he got about twelve million assists crossing it from wide?
    I think he was starting to get less effective as teams started doubling up on him and their not going to do that if he’s inside more, plus with all his attacking threat I personally don’t think you want him constantly running back to our corner flag

Our new signing Matty Platt excited to be playing for Notts County

The defender turned down a new contract at Bradford City - External Link

[Threads merged - SwalePie]
    Last edited by SwalePie; 28-05-2024 at 11:14 PM.

In other news, the wheel has been invented.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast