+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Mandatory National Services to be brought back in by the Tories

Just getting them to pick up litter in their neighbourhood might be a better more manageable idea. But even that would be doomed to failure, because like the bigger idea of national service, it's utterly unenforceable. People have an aversion to being told what to do, unless they've taken the King's shilling

An ill-conceived idea cynically rolled out half-cocked and a blatant attempt to woo a few wavering Mail/Express readers.

I’m not against the idea of a carefully thought-through plan to reintroduce National Service but this is just an act of desperation and not the way to go about it at all.

Sounds like somebody made a few notes on the back of a fag packet and said “Right - that’ll do. Get it out to the papers and see what happens.”

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    An ill-conceived idea cynically rolled out half-cocked and a blatant attempt to woo a few wavering Mail/Express readers.

I’m not against the idea of a carefully thought-through plan to reintroduce National Service but this is just an act of desperation and not the way to go about it at all.

Sounds like somebody made a few notes on the back of a fag packet and said “Right - that’ll do. Get it out to the papers and see what happens.”
    Sounds like it had been proposed, rejected and now revived.

I don't think it's that bad an idea as long as you don't have to go into the armed forces.

What a laugh. This from people on here like grist who hate anybody telling them what they should do or how to act. How many squaddies are free to say what they think? I think it will lose the tories votes particularly from the young.So bring the fecker on.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    What a laugh. This from people on here like grist who hate anybody telling them what they should do or how to act. How many squaddies are free to say what they think? I think it will lose the tories votes particularly from the young.So bring the fecker on.
    I think you're overanalysing this Roly.

It's not about forming a paramilitary squad of youngsters armed and trained to kill. It's about getting the feckless off their arses and giving them something useful to do that benefits society as a whole.

Turning them into good human beings if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I think you're overanalysing this Roly.

It's not about forming a paramilitary squad of youngsters armed and trained to kill. It's about getting the feckless off their arses and giving them something useful to do that benefits society as a whole.

Turning them into good human beings if you like
    Complete tosh.

If that’s what they want to do, Make people get off their arses and work in the community for their benefits/handouts.

Most ****agers I come across ARE good human beings. If it’s a case they aren’t, target them and give them community service, boot camps etc.

In schools:

Mechanic courses, plumbing, joinery, metalwork, cooking, gardening/landscaping etc.

Get some professionals teaching these skills in schools instead of the shyte they do teach.

In theory it’s a great idea but it’s just a gimmick.
    Most of my family are ex armed forces Marines, Paras and RAF. My son and nephew are both in Paras now.

It’s a political point scoring exercise which is shameful really.
    I notice the usual suspects though are having a dig at our armed forces probably the same ones who are supporting Hamas defending themselves as loyal and protecting their freedom.
    Unfortunately now there is no respect for professions like the armed forces police etc.
    Self entitled society we have now.

This has given them a couple of days of headlines which is the best outcome they could have hoped for.
    It is the equivalent of corbyns free broadband.
    The reform voters might like it but in reality it is just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    This has given them a couple of days of headlines which is the best outcome they could have hoped for.
    It is the equivalent of corbyns free broadband.
    The reform voters might like it but in reality it is just noise.
    Yes indeed, a brilliant smokescreen, taking the debate away from government failures and bringing up a topic that the Labour Party hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes indeed, a brilliant smokescreen, taking the debate away from government failures and bringing up a topic that the Labour Party hadn't considered.
    That is something we can agree on.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast