+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Random possession stat

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    We were the only ones to get nothing, not even play offs, out of the season, illustrating how ineffective we were.
    That’s a point overlooked by fans who think a high possession rate leads to points. Time and time again we’ve seen our defenders continually passing sideways without seriously considering a lob forward for a change, Macca dodges left and right in vain. Opposition managers know in advance what we do and the canny ones tell their midfielders to just bide their time, the inevitable will happen err… inevitably.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    I think it shows high possession football is largely effective but that we need a better defence.
    This. The other teams have defenders that are at least as good as the level they operate at. If we'd had an average defence, we'd have finished in the playoffs.

Our attacking stats show that the system was highly effective at creating chances, and I doubt a team has ever scored as many goals as we did and not finished in at least a playoff spot.

Funnily enough, one of the criticisms opposition fans have of us is that we have "no end product", which is spectacularly wrong.

But how much of the 62.3% was in the oppositions half, these stats are meaningless, bet the teams in the play offs or the final had less possession stats

Quote Originally Posted by LincsPie View Post
    According to a piece in Mail On Sunday sports pages possession in the 4 top leagues:

Soton 66.1%
    Man C 65.5
    Notts and Leicester C 62.3
    Peterborough 62.2

Read into that whatever you want!!
    I read into this that it is a massive contributing factor to success. The more you have the ball the more your opposition don’t. They then have two choices they either let you play and try to keep you out of dangerous areas. Or they try and close you down and force mistakes and errors. That requires a fit team. Whatever way the opposition set up it means generally you are the one more in control of the game.

What it does show is how poor we really were at defending because when the opposition did have the ball we would be punished too easily.
    As we know our downfall was the individual mistakes and our out of possession play that led to goals against.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I read into this that it is a massive contributing factor to success. The more you have the ball the more your opposition don’t. They then have two choices they either let you play and try to keep you out of dangerous areas. Or they try and close you down and force mistakes and errors. That requires a fit team. Whatever way the opposition set up it means generally you are the one more in control of the game.

What it does show is how poor we really were at defending because when the opposition did have the ball we would be punished too easily.
    As we know our downfall was the individual mistakes and our out of possession play that led to goals against.
    When implemented perfectly, this is definitely the case. The problem is, most of our possession was at the back (Baldwin had the most touches per 90 minutes of any player in L2), meaning it was probably more dangerous for us than the opposition, who just had to wait for us to make a mistake.

I think Matty Palmer was/will be instrumental in linking defence and midfield. He used to drop deep to collect the ball from the CBs and then start moves from there. Without him, the defenders were far more exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    When implemented perfectly, this is definitely the case. The problem is, most of our possession was at the back (Baldwin had the most touches per 90 minutes of any player in L2), meaning it was probably more dangerous for us than the opposition, who just had to wait for us to make a mistake.

I think Matty Palmer was/will be instrumental in linking defence and midfield. He used to drop deep to collect the ball from the CBs and then start moves from there. Without him, the defenders were far more exposed.
    I completely agree. It’s no surprise that Matty Palmer played so much under LW. He was that ultimate link and key to how we played between defence and midfield. Having him back will be like a new signing.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in to take on the Baldwin role you allude to, as in the defender who has the most touches of the ball in the games. It could be Matty Platt or maybe someone else. One thing is for sure we have to be better playing the ball out from defence and make less mistakes and also when under attack be stronger at dealing with this. The signing of Matty Platt is a good start.

Means sfa. Balls in the back of the net are what count

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I completely agree. It’s no surprise that Matty Palmer played so much under LW. He was that ultimate link and key to how we played between defence and midfield. Having him back will be like a new signing.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in to take on the Baldwin role you allude to, as in the defender who has the most touches of the ball in the games. It could be Matty Platt or maybe someone else. One thing is for sure we have to be better playing the ball out from defence and make less mistakes and also when under attack be stronger at dealing with this. The signing of Matty Platt is a good start.
    I think with Palmer there, the central CB won't need to be on the ball as much. Palmer was willing and able to receive the ball in tight spots and find a way to play through the lines. His awareness of what's going on around him is amazing, as is his first touch. Bostock tried to do it, but he's just not the same player - too one footed and slow to turn. I can't think of a single time that we conceded as a result of Palmer giving the ball away or being dispossessed in a dangerous area.

I suspect Platt will play in the Baldwin position, but he won't be asked to do quite as much with the ball at his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Possession stats are meaningless

Manchester City boasted 74.3% possession in the first half, completing 349 passes (over three times as many as United) but only mustered three attempts and a single shot on target. Guardiola’s men notched just 0.15xG in the opening 45 minutes, while United registered 1.37xG.

https://www.planetfootball.com/lates...varane-ten-hag
    I was going to post similar on Saturday after watch the game on telly. A bit like Notts v Boreham Wood except City didnt have Jodi Jones. I was expecting Grealish to come on and run direct at the defence. ManUre played a clever game.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Means sfa. Balls in the back of the net are what count
    In both a positive (us scoring) and a negative (them scoring) way.
    There was some very naive decisions made last close season about our ability to defend (I would love to know who said we could manage with what we had!).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast