+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notts County First team 24/25

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    You know me, I link the very attacking, entertaining football with the 11-12,000 through the gate. I want to see more of that, not to set up worrying about the other team.
    There is a difference between setting up worrying about the other team, and setting up to exploit their weaknesses. I felt Williams had a formula and stuck to it come what may, Maynard changes things too readily. Somewhere in between and we should be very hard to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Those are fair points.

I like our latest signing being described as an excellent 'one-v-one' defender. It also tells us what they've been looking for. With Jones, Nemane, that's what we need. And what many were saying last summer. It didn't happen.

Ditto, with the formation. If we have a guiding approach/philosophy, I'm sure it doesn't say we must play a back 3. Great attacking football can be play with a back 4, of course. We've seen it all our lives. Two things there though A) you need FBs who can overlap, play good football and get forward, B ) I don't think our fans should expect a back 4, or start demanding it, SM is more likely to prepare and start with a back 3. He's already shown he's more willing to change formation than LW, between and within games.
    To be honest we have no idea if our new signings will turn out to be any better than the previous bunch. We will only know when they put on the shirt and play in competitive games. It wasnt that long ago when some were raving about the signings of Randall, Morias and Stone, they all turned out to be crap..... Plus, we have a coach who doesn't always seem switched on..

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    There is a difference between setting up worrying about the other team, and setting up to exploit their weaknesses. I felt Williams had a formula and stuck to it come what may, Maynard changes things too readily. Somewhere in between and we should be very hard to play against.
    Sign of weakness tinkering with side to suit the opposition. Let them worry about you, everybody singing from the hymn sheet as they say

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    To be honest we have no idea if our new signings will turn out to be any better than the previous bunch. We will only know when they put on the shirt and play in competitive games. It wasnt that long ago when some were raving about the signings of Randall, Morias and Stone, they all turned out to be crap..... Plus, we have a coach who doesn't always seem switched on..
    Fair point. But when the first League team is announced, we want our strongest eleven on the pitch, (accepting that there may be tweaks for home/away or the opposition.
    Me personally, just put the strongest team out regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Sign of weakness tinkering with side to suit the opposition. Let them worry about you, everybody singing from the hymn sheet as they say
    I suspect we are talking about different things. I am not thinking about changing to negate the opposition, which I agree is a sign of weakness, you should be confident enough to rely on your team to execute. If you se a weakness in the opposition that you can exploit with a system change, then it makes no sense to ignore it. Not necessarily a formation change (although we did that successfully at Newport), but as we saw in the second half of the season, teams had worked us out, made changes and pressed harder and put more balls into the box.
    Last edited by Kent Magpie; 14-06-2024 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Rewording

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    I think Maynard was more willing to change formation than Williams... probably too willing at times.
    Yes, but what idiot would play both Nemane and Jones on the same wing...

I cant remember a single person "raving" about those signings Morias and Randall were seen as squad fillers, Stone not so and turned out to be under par but I cannot remember any raving at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Slocome*

Macari Bedeau Matthew Palmer Chickson*

Nemane Matty Palmer Robertson Jones

Langstaff Crowley

Subs McGoldrick, Cameron, Rawlinson*, Austin*, Scott, Jatta, Stone

Not too controversial * indicates possible strengthening.

Okay. Squad looks promising for early summer. For me the two big issues are:

1. We have got to get a new first choice keeper.
    2. Palmer: Is is he fit? Will he be the player he was?

Yes, but what idiot would play both Nemane and Jones on the same wing...
    LOL, maybe to confuse the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    LOL, maybe to confuse the opposition.
    To the extent that we lost again...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast