+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Rises?

Tax Rises?

From what’s being said about the potential General Election result, with Labour possibly getting 462 seats and the Conservatives reduced to a sad rump of around 70-80 seats, it’s going to be carte blanche for them to do exactly what they want to do.

I’m resigned to it being a Labour government now for at least the next 10 years and possibly longer but I do wonder if every Labour voter has thought through the consequences of their vote?

People are in the mood for change, more due to the Tory infighting and the crass stupidity of Boris and Cummings, I think many voters will be surprised at what’s about to happen to taxes.

I don’t believe Starmer when he says that the likes of vat and income tax won’t increase.

It seems they’re looking to implement things such as a garden tax based on the size of your garden for starters.

It’s not as if the Tory’s have anything to shout about having taken us each to the highest tax burden since WW2 but I think it’s going to get a lot worse.

I’m lucky, I can just suck it up and pay any additions but I think many middle and lower income families are going to be hurting 18 months into the new Labour regime.

A lot of people seem to be voting Labour and Reform out of pure anger and frustration which are typical human traits.

It’s going to be interesting to see how quickly Labour start breaking their promises, they’re going to be able to do it with impunity with a 390 seat majority.

How about taxing dog owners depending on how much enjoyment you get. A garden tax! Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    How about taxing dog owners depending on how much enjoyment you get. A garden tax! Sheesh!

A garden tax would never work as you could have a huge garden but a house worth just 100k.

Tax those with more than one property more and council tax should be a percentage of the value of the property worth! The NHS should only be free for those on a certain salary or whose assets exceed X surely! Should a state pension be paid to individuals whose assets exceed X amount?

Fines should be calculated as a percentage with no maximum on a persons annual salary. Why should someone who commits a driving offence on say 20 grand a year be fined the same as say Marcus Rashford on 350 grand a week? This way the punishment would hurt the same to both people and in some countries they operate this!

On-line companies should pay more tax than high streets shops where the overheads are far greater!

I hate to think what illegal immigration is costing us and more importantly crashing the NHS and other services!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    A garden tax would never work as you could have a huge garden but a house worth just 100k.

Tax those with more than one property more and council tax should be a percentage of the value of the property worth! The NHS should only be free for those on a certain salary or whose assets exceed X surely! Should a state pension be paid to individuals whose assets exceed X amount?

Fines should be calculated as a percentage with no maximum on a persons annual salary. Why should someone who commits a driving offence on say 20 grand a year be fined the same as say Marcus Rashford on 350 grand a week? This way the punishment would hurt the same to both people and in some countries they operate this!

On-line companies should pay more tax than high streets shops where the overheads are far greater!

I hate to think what illegal immigration is costing us and more importantly crashing the NHS and other services!
    Spot on!

Of course Labour will increase the tax take, they can’t possibly do what they are suggesting without a huge influx of cash. Labour always increase taxes, it’s all they know how to do.

Care for the elderly (those that need it, before you pipe up, Mick) should be an absolute priority but would cost a vast sum; I would raise the money by not paying anything to look after illegals who have contributed nothing to the country, £6-7m a day!!!! Just cover the cost of the ferry back to France. We need to get our priorities right but don’t expect Labour to do it.

By these standards you get hung if you’re rich and you murder someone but get 10 years if you’re poor and you murder someone.

A crime is a crime, you can’t have different tariffs based on wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    By these standards you get hung if you’re rich and you murder someone but get 10 years if you’re poor and you murder someone.

There are countries (democracies) where fines are regulated to income. And only fines, eg for speeding. Finland is one example.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

That’s bollox! They operate fines in some countries based on annual income. Why should someone pay the same council tax in London in a 2 million semi than someone living in a 10 million pound large property? A 100 pound driving fine for someone on 20 grand a week hurts but it’s laughable to someone on a six figure salary! People who are very rich don’t care about parking tickets they laugh and ask any traffic warden in an affluent area!

Percentage everything so why is that unfair? 5% fine to someone on 100K probably hurts less still than someone on 20K a week or elderly and retired!

You don’t approve of the above as it could hurt your pocket more. Me too but I accept the above even if I paid more or was fined more.

On-line companies should be taxed far more than the high street too. We are on-line but again I accept this would only be fair!

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    There are countries (democracies) where fines are regulated to income. And only fines, eg for speeding. Finland is one example.

Exactly! Why should a millionaire be charged in Finland for speeding the same as a retired elderly person? The millionaire would be laughing his balls off as they do here! There’s a c unt in our town with a 200,000 plus car who
    Is super wealthy and he must get a parking ticket every other week - he laughs at the system as the fine is a joke to him! They should tow the f uckers car away and charge a percentage fine of its worth!

That’s bollox! They operate fines in some countries based on annual income. Why should someone pay the same council tax in London in a 2 million semi than someone living in a 10 million pound large property? A 100 pound driving fine for someone on 20 grand a week hurts but it’s laughable to someone on a six figure salary! People who are very rich don’t care about parking tickets they laugh and ask any traffic warden in an affluent area!

Percentage everything so why is that unfair? 5% fine to someone on 100K probably hurts less still than someone on 20K a week or elderly and retired!

You don’t approve of the above as it could hurt your pocket more. Me too but I accept the above even if I paid more or was fined more.

On-line companies should be taxed far more than the high street too. We are on-line but again I accept this would only be fair!

You talk utter b o l l o x about online companies.

People like me for example, I had to find a large warehouse purchase and pay huge business rates on my site and have to staff the place, I also operate a retail store from my site.

It’s different to how you operate, you do it from your own home and garden shed, maybe the likes of you should be paying more tax?

You’re stealing sales from retail shops and operating without business overheads……I’m not!

Business rates should be scrapped anyway, they should charge a % of turnover of each company who trade in the U.K. and not a % of profit, Amazon and the like “hide” profit, you can’t hide turnover.

If it was a % based on turnover it’s up to each business to ensure it makes enough profit margin to cover the % taken.

It would also enable more businesses to take a chance on opening in the vast number of empty retail High St units we have in the U.K. because
    they wouldn’t be saddled with huge and unfair rates bills, they’d only pay that small % of their turnover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)