+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T are you more active since you retired?

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Grist. Hope you manage to make the most of circumstances as they are - go well
    Thanks for your good wishes. Three stays this year at Barnsley GH has given me an insight to the NHS. Haven't been on TV yet though 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Thanks for your good wishes. Three stays this year at Barnsley GH has given me an insight to the NHS. Haven't been on TV yet though ��
    Dean Andrews refuses to comment on you, says you're a much bigger star than him.

Just in the process of getting my 2 businesses valued ready to sell and retire. I’m 54 so I’m 5 years in front of when I planned to retire.
    I will then do voluntary work with a few charities and walk the dogs at RSPCA.
    I will keep myself active and spend time with family etc.
    simple things that I’ve not been able to do as much as I wanted due to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Dean Andrews refuses to comment on you, says you're a much bigger star than him.
    Well he would be right there 😝

The program though is very misleading, a white Caucasian female staff with “ tarn” accents. Roughly true for A&E but not representative of the hospital as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Just in the process of getting my 2 businesses valued ready to sell and retire. I’m 54 so I’m 5 years in front of when I planned to retire.
    I will then do voluntary work with a few charities and walk the dogs at RSPCA.
    I will keep myself active and spend time with family etc.
    simple things that I’ve not been able to do as much as I wanted due to work.
    Good luck with all that pal. Yea, family is a massively important thing and to be able to spend more time with them is great. Treasure it.

I’m also contemplating doing a some charity free hours at the new Rotherham Hospice shop/ outlet in Parkgate when it opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Managed to retire at 59 a year earlier than planned.

I had all these ideas what I wanted to do with my free time but have never got around to say 75% of them as something else always seemed to have cropped up more. Personal and mainly family issues, many times, set me back, then something else would come along and changed my next planned adventures/ chores.

I like DIY and have to say I'm a very good decorator/painter. Sometimes I wish I had taken the plunge and set up my own business many years ago. I had the self finance to get me going but never took the brave step in doing so.

One of my big loves was and probably still is, given the chance, photography, be it wildlife/ family/ historical so I feel this is my next aim to get back into this asap. Still have all my gear sufficient to fulfill my needs so yes why not, I'm sick to the back teeth of late of decorating my home, I need to get out more.
    Like you Brin I retired at 59 a year earlier than I planned. I've got a dog so walk about 10 miles a day. I love spending time with the grandkids they certainly help keep me active. I'm a voluntary Chairman of a charity which keeps the old grey matter exercised.

Bloody hell ! does nobody work any longer ? who is contributing to my pension, bus pass, xmas bonus etc, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Duncang1 View Post
    Like you Brin I retired at 59 a year earlier than I planned. I've got a dog so walk about 10 miles a day. I love spending time with the grandkids they certainly help keep me active. I'm a voluntary Chairman of a charity which keeps the old grey matter exercised.
    Well done and good for you pal. This walking thing, I've got to start and get out more and get me some mileage completed and like gru says, get some weight off.

I retired from a challenging and pretty demanding job with Rolls-Royce nearly six**** years ago. I hadn't realised what a shock to my self-esteem it would be not to have responsibilities and to be outside a corporate structure that gave me a sense of purpose and a position in the world.

It's uncomfortable in some ways admitting to these truths since they sound excessively self-absorbed and self-regarding. I'd say I've only really come to terms with not being part of the working world in the last five years or so. On reflection I should have eased myself into retirement by a gradual withdrawal via consulting or working part time. Going cold turkey was a mistake but for various reasons - mainly that I moved myself several thousand miles away from where my skills were most needed and this was 2008 at the height of the banking crash - I couldn't reverse the decision easily.

I haven't wasted the retirement years so far but I feel I could have used the time more constructively. My guitar playing and performing have improved, the garden is coming on and I now have two books published and a third on the way. I've done some volunteering (running the local historical society in my town) and became very involved in, of all things, English Country Dancing (hugely popular in the US. I was President of the San Diego ECD Society and called dances there regularly.)

This has felt a bit like arranging the deckchairs at times, though the book-writing has definitely been therapeutic. I still feel there is more - but it's often too easy to sit here like this and drone on and on about things on a football message board rather than get on with stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I retired from a challenging and pretty demanding job with Rolls-Royce nearly six**** years ago. I hadn't realised what a shock to my self-esteem it would be not to have responsibilities and to be outside a corporate structure that gave me a sense of purpose and a position in the world.

It's uncomfortable in some ways admitting to these truths since they sound excessively self-absorbed and self-regarding. I'd say I've only really come to terms with not being part of the working world in the last five years or so. On reflection I should have eased myself into retirement by a gradual withdrawal via consulting or working part time. Going cold turkey was a mistake but for various reasons - mainly that I moved myself several thousand miles away from where my skills were most needed and this was 2008 at the height of the banking crash - I couldn't reverse the decision easily.

I haven't wasted the retirement years so far but I feel I could have used the time more constructively. My guitar playing and performing have improved, the garden is coming on and I now have two books published and a third on the way. I've done some volunteering (running the local historical society in my town) and became very involved in, of all things, English Country Dancing (hugely popular in the US. I was President of the San Diego ECD Society and called dances there regularly.)

This has felt a bit like arranging the deckchairs at times, though the book-writing has definitely been therapeutic. I still feel there is more - but it's often too easy to sit here like this and drone on and on about things on a football message board rather than get on with stuff!!

Can’t comment on the USA situation but here in the UK the older you get the more invisible you become

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast