+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matija Sarkic tragedy

Matija Sarkic tragedy

Such a sad thing hearing of the death of Matija Sarkic at only 26 years of age.

Lovely and funny story shared by Bobby Madley on twitter after the sad and sudden passing of Matija Sarkic at such a young age. Rest in peace.

Terrible news this week that 26 year old footballer, Matija Sarkic, passed away while on international duty. I met Matija in 2016 when refereeing my first U19 Euros Qualifying game between Montenegro and France. Matija was the captain which, as a goalkeeper, isn't always the easiest for a referee.

Standing in the tunnel before the game Matija came down and shook hands. Given that my grasp of the Montenegrin language wasn't the best, in a shocking broken English accent I tried to explain to Matija with many hand gestures and ridiculous facial expressions that as captain and goalkeeper it would be hard to work with him.

My question of "Is there player in team, speak English, maybe can speak with me if problem today?" was met his a blank look from Matija. I tried again with even worse broken English and the stone look remained on his face. I was defeated. I looked at Matija and said "Clearly I'm wasting my time and getting nowhere". Matija half smiled. He replied in a strong Balkan accent, "Nine. Speak English him."

Delighted and very proud of myself I replied "Ah you understand English little. This is good. He speak good English?"
    Matija smiled and replied... "Yeah it's not bad, it's my brother Oliver, we're from Grimsby...l just wanted to see how long you'd carry that nonsense on!"
    He'd done me like a kipper!

I didn't know Matija but I had the honour of sharing a pitch with this young man. That funny moment in the tunnel has stayed with me and I was devastated to hear this news.
    Sincerest condolences to his family and his friends.

Very sad news. R.I.P. Young man..Taken far too early.

When you get to my age it's always sad to hear of someone who has died young, especially children, life's a bitch.

What was the cause of his death? R.I.P. young man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    What was the cause of his death? R.I.P. young man.
    You thinking what I'm thinking mon ami ? Far, far too many seemingly fit and healthy young men dying for it to be a coincidence.

RIP Matija.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You thinking what I'm thinking mon ami ? Far, far too many seemingly fit and healthy young men dying for it to be a coincidence.

RIP Matija.
    I did not want to say it out loud mon ami but speculation here suggests the lad took his own life. It’s what frightened me with our very own centre forward. Suicide and young men. Why?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)