+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Private schools.

Private schools.

I just don’t understand why Starmer is placing VAT on private schools. Doesn’t he realise that it is estimated that 50% of those now attending private schools will in future be unable to do so. Where are they going to be educated? They will return to the state system which is already under extreme pressures. Basically, it is Labour ‘let’s bash the rich’. It won’t make the slightest difference to the rich as they will still be able to afford it. All it will do is make private education more elitist as those who put education high on their agendas and give up other things in order to send their children to private schools won’t be able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I just don’t understand why Starmer is placing VAT on private schools. Doesn’t he realise that it is estimated that 50% of those now attending private schools will in future be unable to do so. Where are they going to be educated? They will return to the state system which is already under extreme pressures. Basically, it is Labour ‘let’s bash the rich’. It won’t make the slightest difference to the rich as they will still be able to afford it. All it will do is make private education more elitist as those who put education high on their agendas and give up other things in order to send their children to private schools won’t be able to do so.
    It’s the politics of envy that so many people dislike about Labour.

I believe Starmer’s own school was pretty much private wasn’t it?

I sent one of my three to a private school because by then I could afford it but it didn’t suit him so he went back into a state school and faired just as badly there.

Putting vat on school fees and driving so many back into state education that hadn’t got the capacity to deal with them is typically Labour type thinking.

If they want to charge vat it should be means tested so that only the very wealthy pay the vat, this is a pretty easy thing to check and to instigate.

Anyone with a joint income of say £100k could be made exempt from vat.

Sorry, I do apologise for giving such a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It’s the politics of envy that so many people dislike about Labour.

I believe Starmer’s own school was pretty much private wasn’t it?

I sent one of my three to a private school because by then I could afford it but it didn’t suit him so he went back into a state school and faired just as badly there.

Putting vat on school fees and driving so many back into state education that hadn’t got the capacity to deal with them is typically Labour type thinking.

If they want to charge vat it should be means tested so that only the very wealthy pay the vat, this is a pretty easy thing to check and to instigate.

Anyone with a joint income of say £100k could be made exempt from vat.

Sorry, I do apologise for giving such a simple solution.
    it's being introduced to keep certain elements in the Labour Party quiet for a while. Probably those who watch Animal Farm and Dr Zhivago over and over again.

I sent my two lads to private school and they thrived there. We weren’t wealthy, both my wife and I were teachers, but as an only child I inherited my parents’ property. We decided to use that money on the boys’ education. It didn’t cover it all, we had to top it up to a degree. If there had been VAT on top we probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it. In the future, people in a similar position to us probably won’t be able to do this.

I sent my two lads to private school and they thrived there. We weren’t wealthy, both my wife and I were teachers, but as an only child I inherited my parents’ property. We decided to use that money on the boys’ education. It didn’t cover it all, we had to top it up to a degree. If there had been VAT on top we probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it. In the future, people in a similar position to us probably won’t be able to do this.
    Which is why it could easily be means tested to only catch those with very comfortable income Leics.

My own dad was one of the first six boys to ever gain a scholarship to a very exclusive private school called Ashville College in Harrogate in 1946, it was very expensive even 78 years ago and his mum and dad could never have afforded the fees.

Grandad was a bus driver and nan an orphanage nurse so it was a massive bonus for dad to get that education.

The only downside, dad was a very talented centre forward and when he was 14-15 Huddersfield Town who were top division at the time wanted him to sign schoolboy firms for them.

Nan refused due to his scholarship! 😩🤣

At that time in Yorkshire Derek Kevan was my dad’s contemporary, he was from Ripon and dad played against him, dad said he was awesome as a young ****ager.

I suppose in a different universe, dad might’ve ended up at Albion instead of Derek! 😇

Back to education though, poorer and middle income families could easily be protected.

It’s beyond the wit of politicians though.

Pure stupidity. I know a few people who scrape every penny to send their kids to private school and forego holidays. A child going to state school still costs the tax payers around 10K

Starmer is a p rick! He went to Reigate grammar where I used to live - when there it was one of the best state selective grammar schools around and it actually turned private before he left!

Labour wrecked the state grammar school system and Blair refused to produce any more!

I note university was FREE when Starmer and Sunak and Co went there and todays kids are saddled with HUGE debt. What’s their answer to this then the absolute k nobs?

More doctors? Who wants to fund 5 years of medicine on a student loan and living fees so around 120K minimum of debt! Absolute
    F uckin idiots!

Then some individuals say Farage is not bright enough to run the country. My answer to that is Sunak - Starmer or Boris?

More people will start moving houses because the best state schools will always be in the more affluent areas as many parents will be professionals. A child will always be a product of the parent.

Who would you want to send their child to a school where Christian values are not taught or many kids speak different languages? What chance FFS would your kid have? Sad but true!
    Last edited by baggieal; 18-06-2024 at 04:04 PM.

Back to education though, poorer and middle income families could easily be protected.

It’s beyond the wit of politicians though.[/QUOTE]

Yet they spend millions on an NHS fraud team just to administer the prescription charge which now only applies in England and only covers some lifelong medical conditions and not others, never been reviewed. Bonkers.

Al - have you heard of the ARRS scheme, it's basically free money to GP surgeries to recruit additional staff who have had 2-years training following a degree in anything, pass rate is 100% and they get MORE than GP's, some of whom are being made redundant. Who would you want to see when you start to experience symptoms of an illness - crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post

It’s beyond the wit of politicians though.
    Yet they spend millions on an NHS fraud team just to administer the prescription charge which now only applies in England and only covers some lifelong medical conditions and not others, never been reviewed. Bonkers.

Al - have you heard of the ARRS scheme, it's basically free money to GP surgeries to recruit additional staff who have had 2-years training following a degree in anything, pass rate is 100% and they get MORE than GP's, some of whom are being made redundant. Who would you want to see when you start to experience symptoms of an illness - crazy!![/QUOTE]

Unbelievable WCV and nit heard of it! This country is getting third world every year that passes!

I would love to ask Starmer - you had a fantastic education at one of the best state grammar schools and went to Uni for free. Why is this not the same for today’s kids when salaries have not barely increased with inflation?

W ankers the lot of them!!! I can see the appeal of Farage even if it’s a dream!

The Labour Party, packed with envious hypocrites; never, ever will I vote for them.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)