+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan

Apparently he's in the running for the vacant Newport post.

Best of luck to him! His sacking here was a bit of a shock to me and definitely preceded a hell of a downward spiral

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Best of luck to him! His sacking here was a bit of a shock to me and definitely preceded a hell of a downward spiral
    While he did a pretty decent job in 2017/18, the way in which he prepared his squad for the next season absolutely didn't help though. How many players came back that summer overweight and completely unprepared?

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    While he did a pretty decent job in 2017/18, the way in which he prepared his squad for the next season absolutely didn't help though. How many players came back that summer overweight and completely unprepared?
    Spot on. He definitely lead by example with his own unhealthiness. A lazy unfit team that deserved to be relegated. Most of the ones that left didn't pick up another club in the EFL bar Hemmings and Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Spot on. He definitely lead by example with his own unhealthiness. A lazy unfit team that deserved to be relegated. Most of the ones that left didn't pick up another club in the EFL bar Hemmings and Dennis.
    I watched Shaun Brisley at Alfreton last season and I swear he had an extra yard of pace despite playing on their pudding pitch and being 6 years older, than when we played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    I watched Shaun Brisley at Alfreton last season and I swear he had an extra yard of pace despite playing on their pudding pitch and being 6 years older, than when we played for us.
    The thought of him is making me shudder.

Rumours at the time were that Nolan was fed up of Hardy interfering in team matters and had applied and interviewed for several.jobs in the summer after the playoffs. He'd checked out basically, now you could say it was unprofessional of him (I would) but also having another terrible boss after what happened to him at Leyton Orient probably didn't help matters.

Seems to be a big job at Newport bearing in mind they have only 10 players and it's already nearly July already, not quite Morecambe but still a bit squeaky for their fans

I knew someone in the club at the time.
    Preseason was the summer where we had record temperatures and no rain for months.
    He would regularly call off training due to the ground being unplayable but offer no alternative to get the squad fit.
    I think we also had a couple of preseason games cancelled from memory.
    We were hopelessly unfit come the start of the season.

It's sad that people's abiding memory of him is the 5 game start to 2018/19 after saving from us from the drop in 2016/17 and then taking us into the play offs where he was extremely unlucky to lose out to a club that's now expected to kick on in tier 2 after drawing with Man Utd at Wembley.
    I wish him all the very best if he gets that job.

I have to say that even when we were flying high under Nolan, we rarely looked convincing, despite picking up results. Compared with other sides in the division at the time and also having witnessed successful Notts teams in the past, we were well short of what's required. Although we were unlucky in the PO semi, a half decent side would've gained automatic from the start we had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast