+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: England

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Agree that this would certainly give more balance to the team and allow both to better play to their strengths but Southgate still has to get over his obsession with protecting his defenders and sitting so deep all the time. We have the players to press or make runs but he needs to allow them more freedom to do so.

The other obvious issue is of how disjointed England look. Each player needs to clearly understand their role and tactics and know when to press and when to cover so that they operate as one. Clearly, this is not currently happening and needs addressing sharpish.

Despite their best efforts to appear otherwise, I think this is the first time I have seen the players themselves hint at the same frustrations they have as the fans/pundits in their post match interviews. This, for me, speaks fathoms as regards the main cause of these concerns.

Despite Walker, and being quite impressed with Guehi, I still think our defence is not the greatest but we have a wealth of talent going forward and if we are not reaping the rewards from such quality then surely the bulk of the blame has to lie with Southgate.
    The general opinion in the media is that our supposed weakness (the defence) is actually playing better than any other part of the team, it’s constantly under pressure and performing well.

I agree with Steve Warnock, he can’t understand how with “footballing” defenders and CH’s in particular, does Rice have to come do deep.

3-4-3 would suit us much better, with the pace and footballing ability of Walker, Guehi, and Stones we could easily play them as a back three.

The problems further up the pitch stem from the old “Lampard/Gerrard” problem of the past, Southgate is trying to placate his best players in Foden and Bellingham and play both when the answer probably lies in leaving Foden out.

Personally, I’d play Bellingham alongside Rice as he’s a superb athlete and will still get forward like Bryan Robson used to do.

You can then put Trent on the right of the midfield and Gordon on the left because they are both attacking and direct but they also work back and are quick.

The front three is then Saka, Foden and either Kane or Palmer.

Playing Bellingham and Foden so far up the pitch is causing big issues, Bellingham is better being given a more free role and allowed to arrive late in the box.

We f u c k e d up Lampard and Gerrard, surely we’re not going to do the same with Foden and Bellingham!?

For me, Kane should not be a shoe in anymore, we need the best team, not the best players.

We all know what the solution is to this squad, but mr dimwitgate doesn’t sadly. I don’t think he ever will. F kin viler.

Being scared of losing, is very much what its going to do - lose. Alarm bells should have rang with Southgate a long time ago, he’s out of his depth and should never have been the manager - but all because he did well at under 21s.. ahem, so did our Darren Moore with our players.
    How much more in terms of better players does this mbecile need. I really hate this sit back and play deep.. fkin attack, we’ve got the players to do this. If he wanted a defensive squad he really should have picked a squad of defenders. Then guess it would have been Pulis in charge.

A chance for this viler to redeem himself from euro96.. and chance of winning a trophy - but no he’s actually going to go one better to annoy the country and bring the boys home early.

If he performed like that for 10 games elsewhere, be it championship or prem- he’d be sacked. But he’s the yes man the FA want. He reminds me of a modern day politician he doesn’t see the frustrations everyone up and down the country sees.

And ManU wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    We all know what the solution is to this squad, but mr dimwitgate doesn’t sadly. I don’t think he ever will. F kin viler.

Being scared of losing, is very much what its going to do - lose. Alarm bells should have rang with Southgate a long time ago, he’s out of his depth and should never have been the manager - but all because he did well at under 21s.. ahem, so did our Darren Moore with our players.
    How much more in terms of better players does this mbecile need. I really hate this sit back and play deep.. fkin attack, we’ve got the players to do this. If he wanted a defensive squad he really should have picked a squad of defenders. Then guess it would have been Pulis in charge.

A chance for this viler to redeem himself from euro96.. and chance of winning a trophy - but no he’s actually going to go one better to annoy the country and bring the boys home early.

If he performed like that for 10 games elsewhere, be it championship or prem- he’d be sacked. But he’s the yes man the FA want. He reminds me of a modern day politician he doesn’t see the frustrations everyone up and down the country sees.

And ManU wanted him.

Good post Regis and so true! I fell asleep literally in the second half as the football was so boring! The FA though think this t osser is the best thing since Bell discovered the telephone! P ricks all of them!

And ManU wanted him.
    I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Why are we so scared to be attacking and take a chance though?

It’s not as if the previous 58 years have been an unbridled success.

Something has got to change, I think in this social media age in which we live the FA won’t dare put a blazer and tie type in charge after Southgate.

Can you imagine with Klopp in charge of this lot, Heavy Metal international football.

And ManU wanted him.
    I’m not going to get into him being an ex Villa player. I am not sure that makes any difference in truth but, I have to agree his fear of losing is absolutely holding back this team.

The problem is with many in management is that they have a theory and no matter how many times it does not work they know better. Well Gareth Southgate has proved one thing, he doesn’t know better, and really needs to throw out his ‘to scared to lose ethos,’ and show the nation we can be winners without fear.
    Last edited by On Balance; 21-06-2024 at 05:36 PM.

I’m reminded of WC 86 under Robson, we were terrible in the first couple of games and he was pretty much forced to put in Beardsley and Peter Reid.

Both played well against Poland and Lineker got a hattrick, the point is that the media forced Robson into the change.

I didn’t rate us much under Robson, I thought he got lucky and then unlucky in the two big games v Argentina and Germany in 86 and 90.

We play such stolid and uninspiring football in the 52 years I’ve watched England games.

It’s time for a massive change.

It was a really poor performance but just for some context over the tournament some of the big names have hardly hit the ground running yet. France are yet to score a goal (only goal was an own goal by Austria) Belgium lost their opener, Germany and Spain have started really well. Germany were handed a perfect start thanks to Scotland, so they have momentum and are on home turf.

What a shame they messed up yesterday (cricket).

I would like to see us play:
    Pickford
    Trent Walker Guehi Stones Gordon
    Rice Bellingham
    Saka Kane Foden

I would play Pickford, Walker, Stones, Guehi, Trippier, Bellingham, Rice, Saka, Palmer, Foden, Gordon

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)