+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The euros

Watched a bit of Bielsa's Uruguay playing last night. Brought back strong memories of how Leeds played under Bielsa. Expansive, using the full width of the pitch, pressing high, players crashing through the middle after the ball goes wide down the wing. Late goals when the opposition are tired from defending and the press. Uruguay's play is very much moulded in Bielsa's vision of football.
    Last edited by cherrypie7; 24-06-2024 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Typo

MBs team looked good although GFH ey looked vulnerable defensively the second half. Flashbacks of his hood years with us

I like the idea of Bielsa in the good - very good Spaldy (as he might have said)

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Hmmmn he has many qualities but also many negatives.

His system brings results over the course of a season but seems slow to react to individual games. It was obvious what wasn’t working in the Play off final (and in a lot of other games) and by the time he reacts it’s too late. Record in top leagues not great either.

Doesn’t rotate or sub earlier enough to keep larger squads happy.

Has a history of falling out with players. Saints manager being one of several Norwich players he fell out with.

Seems to have a big ego and his press interviews often grate on me.

Apart from that all peachy.

I get what you are saying H - but in fairness if you want a Coach who just picks a team by potential, or by name, then i'd always prefer a Coach who'll pick players that are desperate to play, are willing to work their socks off, know & accept the responsibility required to play & who will represent our club 24/7 physically, mentally with full understanding of what is actually required to be part of a working group each day.

So the Farke's mantra on what he expects is,
    "You have to show that you are ready to improve & that you are ready to work for the club, that you are fully focused & switched on.

For some players that has not always been the case at Leeds consistently or indeed Norwich. Certain players commitment wise has certainly been worked on for sure & some are still a work in progress, particularly the fringe younger element behind the public scene - as i see & hear it.

FWIW - Russell Martin (Saints coach) has addressed the topic of how he actually left Norwich saying:

“He (Farke) was a young manager at the time, I was an old player at the time whose hip and back was giving up on me and he was honest with me which is all you can ever ask for.

“I really didn’t like his decision at the time as I was at a club I’d been at for a long time and I wanted to help and I wanted to contribute and it wasn’t with his team because he had other ideas which is completely fine.

“I think when someone is honest with you you have to respect that – whether you like what is being said to you or not".

Farke also inherited an aging squad at Norwich so he made tough decisions & then he dealt with the talented younger ones who maybe thought 'paper talk' of moves meant they'd made it, thus taking the gas off the pedal development wise.
    Fine lines in short time frames for all - but i'll agree Farkes substitutions for tactical changes do require more work on. 🤐

He's human, a character among some rather mundane coaches around today & still learning for sure with regard to all players attributes & boardroom financial disciplines behind the scene - so i do hope he can press on now & finish the job. 👍

Back on thread. 😇

Too much football now ?

Player injuries in the EPL are up by 30% compared to last season while hamstring injuries are up an incredible 96% from last season !

Be happier if Leeds don't sign any more International players to be honest, as clubs can’t prevent players going on International duty under FIFA laws it sure can create issues.

The International football calendar needs to be addressed as a collective to protect the players & the quality of the product being produced. With UEFA & FIFA extending their comps into the summer, player’s now barely get any time off.
    The PFA & FIFPRO 66 unions rules clearly dictate a mandatory 3-week rest period between seasons.
    In addition to these 3 weeks, Medical experts believe that players really need another 3 weeks of pre-season to be prepared mentally/physically competitive.

So if the top players don’t play in certain competitions (who can blame them) then the value of the "football product" decreases - leaving fans like me cold with the amount of football now being played & big bucks available for those who do play for the bigger bucks on offer now even for pre-season mini-tournaments. 🙁

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Back on thread. ��

Too much football now ?

Player injuries in the EPL are up by 30% compared to last season while hamstring injuries are up an incredible 96% from last season !

Be happier if Leeds don't sign any more International players to be honest, as clubs can’t prevent players going on International duty under FIFA laws it sure can create issues.

The International football calendar needs to be addressed as a collective to protect the players & the quality of the product being produced. With UEFA & FIFA extending their comps into the summer, player’s now barely get any time off.
    The PFA & FIFPRO 66 unions rules clearly dictate a mandatory 3-week rest period between seasons.
    In addition to these 3 weeks, Medical experts believe that players really need another 3 weeks of pre-season to be prepared mentally/physically competitive.

So if the top players don’t play in certain competitions (who can blame them) then the value of the "football product" decreases - leaving fans like me cold with the amount of football now being played & big bucks available for those who do play for the bigger bucks on offer now even for pre-season mini-tournaments. ��
    You mean like that v i t a l trip by Newcastle down under to play Spurs, not at the behest of any footballing organisation but down to the greed of the clubs concerned. If clubs (at all "premium" levels) wanted to they could make it quite clear to the likes of FIFA and UEFA that "enough is enough". They don't because they want the money. Players won't be "protected" by their club or the footballing authorities as long as the likes of Sky, and 7Sports, MP & Silva etc wave large cheques under their greedy snouts

Congratulations to Scotland.....usually it takes just two games before they enter the "we're supporting whoever's playing England" phase. This time, it took them into stoppage time in their third game.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje White View Post
    Congratulations to Scotland.....usually it takes just two games before they enter the "we're supporting whoever's playing England" phase. This time, it took them into stoppage time in their third game.��
    F00k em and good riddance (although I suspect England wont be far behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    I get what you are saying H - but in fairness if you want a Coach who just picks a team by potential, or by name, then i'd always prefer a Coach who'll pick players that are desperate to play, are willing to work their socks off, know & accept the responsibility required to play & who will represent our club 24/7 physically, mentally with full understanding of what is actually required to be part of a working group each day.

So the Farke's mantra on what he expects is,
    "You have to show that you are ready to improve & that you are ready to work for the club, that you are fully focused & switched on.

For some players that has not always been the case at Leeds consistently or indeed Norwich. Certain players commitment wise has certainly been worked on for sure & some are still a work in progress, particularly the fringe younger element behind the public scene - as i see & hear it.

FWIW - Russell Martin (Saints coach) has addressed the topic of how he actually left Norwich saying:

“He (Farke) was a young manager at the time, I was an old player at the time whose hip and back was giving up on me and he was honest with me which is all you can ever ask for.

“I really didn’t like his decision at the time as I was at a club I’d been at for a long time and I wanted to help and I wanted to contribute and it wasn’t with his team because he had other ideas which is completely fine.

“I think when someone is honest with you you have to respect that – whether you like what is being said to you or not".

Farke also inherited an aging squad at Norwich so he made tough decisions & then he dealt with the talented younger ones who maybe thought 'paper talk' of moves meant they'd made it, thus taking the gas off the pedal development wise.
    Fine lines in short time frames for all - but i'll agree Farkes substitutions for tactical changes do require more work on. 🤐

He's human, a character among some rather mundane coaches around today & still learning for sure with regard to all players attributes & boardroom financial disciplines behind the scene - so i do hope he can press on now & finish the job. 👍

I don’t mind firm managers - loved Wilko who was probably tougher than Darke and likewise Bielsa.

On the Russell Martin thing - he came out post play off final and said that which shows how mature Martin is.

Cresswell seems to have been sidelined for wanting to play too badly and being unhappy at not - yes it escalated in other ways then. Same with Spence.

He is decent as a manager but has serious flaws and I don’t like how he seems to treat people and make a show of it - more a sign of his own insecurity possibly?

Anyway onwards and upwards.

Sorry to change topic. Interesting coincidence in Copa America. The other night, Uruguay managed by Bielsa played Panama managed by Thomas Christiansen. Tonight I am watching Canada managed by Jesse "Ted Lasso" Marsch playing Peru. Canada playing like a Jesse Marsch team. 40 min, Canada 0 shots taken, 0 shots on goal. Shapeless, clueless and hopeless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)