+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Defensive Stylee?

New Defensive Stylee?

Maybe we are going for solid options for 3 and 4 at the back for tactical fluidity, quick defenders capable of playing a high line, combative individuals to win back the ball, plus ball carrying ability to get through the transitions quickly. A tough ask for L2 for sure, but the prospect is exciting no?

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Maybe we are going for solid options for 3 and 4 at the back for tactical fluidity, quick defenders capable of playing a high line, combative individuals to win back the ball, plus ball carrying ability to get through the transitions quickly. A tough ask for L2 for sure, but the prospect is exciting no?
    Looks like a complete overhaul, prioritising defenders who can primarily defend and addressing the lack of physicality we had at the back last season. If we can improve our defensive capabilities while maintaining our attacking ones, we'll do just fine next season.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Looks like a complete overhaul, prioritising defenders who can primarily defend and addressing the lack of physicality we had at the back last season. If we can improve our defensive capabilities while maintaining our attacking ones, we'll do just fine next season.
    I forget, did Notts continue with the short corners under Maynard or mix it up a bit?

If there's more aerial presence in the team next season, then as well as a more defensive approach, long corners might be back in fashion?

I hope we can play possession based football at times, but cut out some of the endless tip tapping along the back line.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    I forget, did Notts continue with the short corners under Maynard or mix it up a bit?

If there's more aerial presence in the team next season, then as well as a more defensive approach, long corners might be back in fashion?

I hope we can play possession based football at times, but cut out some of the endless tip tapping along the back line.
    Good observation. Long corners are surprisingly prevalent at the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post

Yes we did. Our very last corner at FGR in the dying seconds when we were losing was a short corner.. The theory of Williams that we scored more goals from short corners was the biggest load of bull sh*t ever....

One minute there's people in football who will tell you it's a simple game and that you shouldn't over complicate matters, the next minute you're hearing about clubs employing a throw-in coach. So you just have to hope you have a manager that knows his own team's strengths and weaknesses better than anybody else and trusts his own instincts enough not to buckle under pressure of owners and fans expectations of how an ideal 11 with every single tool in the box would play.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Yes we did. Our very last corner at FGR in the dying seconds when we were losing was a short corner..
    Well that short corner ended up protecting our 0-1 defeat by going back to the keeper.

The theory of Williams that we scored more goals from short corners was the biggest load of bull sh*t ever....
    His statement was that we retained possession and scored from an open play phase which was a continuation of the corner but defenders not knowing where their set positions were.

If you say "bull sh*t" to that then I'd like to see you evidence of goals scored from a long corner v goals scored as a result of play from a short corner.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Yes we did. Our very last corner at FGR in the dying seconds when we were losing was a short corner.. The theory of Williams that we scored more goals from short corners was the biggest load of bull sh*t ever....
    Exactly, if it's 0-0 after 15 minutes, keep the ball. but!

if you've got a minute or so left. Bang it in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Well that short corner ended up protecting our 0-1 defeat by going back to the keeper.

His statement was that we retained possession and scored from an open play phase which was a continuation of the corner but defenders not knowing where their set positions were.

If you say "bull sh*t" to that then I'd like to see you evidence of goals scored from a long corner v goals scored as a result of play from a short corner.
    I looked at an article ages ago and it was about 1% where someone scores directly from the kick, ie they head it in from the corner taker and total goals scored from them including the 2nd phase I think it took it up to just under 3%, probably explains why you see a lot of teams now taking short corners.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I looked at an article ages ago and it was about 1% where someone scores directly from the kick, ie they head it in from the corner taker and total goals scored from them including the 2nd phase I think it took it up to just under 3%, probably explains why you see a lot of teams now taking short corners.
    Those stats won't tell us anything about wearing the opposition down with unchallenged high balls into the box. It's the obvious opportunity to send your big lads up to intimidate defenders who don't enjoy being put under sustained pressure from crosses. How often do keepers take knocks in corner situations that leave them less than 100% for the rest of the match? Long corners can create panic in the opposition and get the crowd going.
    That's not to say that Notts should revert back to long corners, but there can be value in going long that many don't appreciate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast