+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Euros

Over the 90 minutes the best team won

IMO, Safegate's belt and braces tactics cost us. We don't have the players to play that game. We do have the players to play the game Spain played. Same keeper, same back 4. Rice at 6, Jude at 8, Foden at 10, Gordon wide left, Saka or Palmer wide right. That would give Kane the 2 quick wide players he was used to at Spurs and also gets at Bayern. I think we'd have seen much more of him played in that team but I still think we'd have been even better off with Watkins there.

We have some excellent players but they were being asked to do different jobs to the ones they do for their clubs. If you're going to pick a style, then pick players who fit that style. Do NOT pick a style and then ask the players to do other than that which we see week in, week out at their clubs. It's going to end up hurting and it did.

Southgate? Got us further than any other manager of late and only Ramsey's '66 lads ever won a tournament. He deserves credit for that but I also think he takes the blame for us not winning either/both of the last 2 Euros.

I don't go with the "luck of the draw" argument. All teams got where they were in the last 16 due to their results from the group stages. They all got placed where their results placed them. Same for everybody.

IMO, he'll go. Who to replace him? Many are saying Mourinho. I say no as he plays the same way Safegate has. Keep it tight and hit on the break.

Klopp or Pep, but doubt either will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Klopp or Pep, but doubt either will do it.
    Pep won't be leaving Citeh just yet. Managing England would very likely be less intensive than being a hands on day to day top club gaffer. Might appeal to Klopp and I'd be happy enough with that appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Over the 90 minutes the best team won

IMO, Safegate's belt and braces tactics cost us. We don't have the players to play that game. We do have the players to play the game Spain played. Same keeper, same back 4. Rice at 6, Jude at 8, Foden at 10, Gordon wide left, Saka or Palmer wide right. That would give Kane the 2 quick wide players he was used to at Spurs and also gets at Bayern. I think we'd have seen much more of him played in that team but I still think we'd have been even better off with Watkins there.

We have some excellent players but they were being asked to do different jobs to the ones they do for their clubs. If you're going to pick a style, then pick players who fit that style. Do NOT pick a style and then ask the players to do other than that which we see week in, week out at their clubs. It's going to end up hurting and it did.

Southgate? Got us further than any other manager of late and only Ramsey's '66 lads ever won a tournament. He deserves credit for that but I also think he takes the blame for us not winning either/both of the last 2 Euros.

I don't go with the "luck of the draw" argument. All teams got where they were in the last 16 due to their results from the group stages. They all got placed where their results placed them. Same for everybody.

IMO, he'll go. Who to replace him? Many are saying Mourinho. I say no as he plays the same way Safegate has. Keep it tight and hit on the break.
    To an extent though, all the top teams were in Spain's side of the draw and if you look back over Southgate's tenure as manager, England have rarely beaten any of the top international sides except on penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    To an extent though, all the top teams were in Spain's side of the draw and if you look back over Southgate's tenure as manager, England have rarely beaten any of the top international sides except on penalties.
    Last 16 and on were decided by results in the group stages. Teams ended up where they "deserved" to be. Had any of those teams gained a different number of points they would have been in the England half of the draw.

Or in the case of Germany, gained less points and got into England's half of the draw instead of Switzerland.

How they must be regretting that last minute equaliser against the Swiss in the group stage!

Instead of Denmark - Spain - France as route to final, the Hun could have got Italy - England - Holland. Italy not being the usual great Italy, England, well they had their moments, but too few to mention, and a bang average Holland.

Missed opportunities for the host nation because they actually scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Or in the case of Germany, gained less points and got into England's half of the draw instead of Switzerland.
    I did post "a different number of points" which adequately covers less points as well as more...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)