+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our high press

Our high press

A standout feature of the previous season and one of the main reasons for our success.

Only saw it intermittently at best last season. Was that almost all down to injuries/fatigue meaning we just couldn't play that way or was there a change of style in there too?

Not only do I want to see it return -the football we played was the best since Keegan, imo-but we need it to return if we're to have a shot at the top 4 again.

(and yes, Tut, I know-and agree- we need new players to do this too )

I can see us returning to it next season.

A fit squad and no European football should let us do that.

The midfield 3 will play a massive part in it, all three of them pressing forward instead of all the sideways and backwards passing we saw last season.

Would love to see a right winger with pace a bit more strength than Miggy, and the ability to use both feet… that’s the biggest piece of the jigsaw missing with Big Jo and Tonali available (imo)

I think we'll see it back next season.

Massive issue last was the injuries to players and then them not being able to have a rest period between games as it was so consistent with the same players.

Like you say Zip we need new players.. I think last season with all the injuries we just didn't have the quality in the to do it right..

I also think a lot of teams adapted to the way we played and countered us.. this is no fault of Eddie's so don't get me wrong but I think woth the players we had on the bench there was no Plan B last season..

We need a minimum of 4 players in without losing anymore.. 4 players in.. lose one and replace that one..

RW is a must
    CB is a must
    Striker is a must

Then we need a squad player who improves us and we can improve them

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    A standout feature of the previous season and one of the main reasons for our success.

Only saw it intermittently at best last season. Was that almost all down to injuries/fatigue meaning we just couldn't play that way or was there a change of style in there too?

Not only do I want to see it return -the football we played was the best since Keegan, imo-but we need it to return if we're to have a shot at the top 4 again.

(and yes, Tut, I know-and agree- we need new players to do this too )
    Aye Zip. Convinced it was due to injuries/ short squad for Europe.

Although this is where I will criticise Howe...he should rotate more BEFORE it's necessary so as to enable the squad to be fitter throughout the season.

Hopefully that's something Bunce will bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    Like you say Zip we need new players.. I think last season with all the injuries we just didn't have the quality in the to do it right..

I also think a lot of teams adapted to the way we played and countered us.. this is no fault of Eddie's so don't get me wrong but I think woth the players we had on the bench there was no Plan B last season..

We need a minimum of 4 players in without losing anymore.. 4 players in.. lose one and replace that one..

RW is a must
    CB is a must
    Striker is a must

Then we need a squad player who improves us and we can improve them
    Spot on there.

A RW on the same/similar level to Flash and Isak.(That will terrify Defences!)

Top quality right sided CB to compete/ take over from Schar.

Striker...Wilson is class but always injured. I'd love David. But if we break the bank for a RW..then at least a young striker that we can develop and play when Wilson is missing for his usual 2/3 of the season.

I would like a DM. We could rest Bruno or play him higher.

Let's see..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)