+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley v Pompey match thread

Burnley v Pompey match thread

Pompey sold all their tickets(2500).That's a great following to come up North ..I've a soft spot for Pompey(my second team) as my dad was a Royal Marine during WW2 and was stationed at Eastney Barracks in Portsmouth. He had the pleasure of playing football in friendly's with Two Pompey legends, Len Philips (Royal Marine)and the greatest ever Pompey legend Jimmy Dickinson during the war years .my dad was the goalkeeper for Pompeys friendly matches during the war years until he was wounded at Dieppe in a landing craft..Im Looking for another Clarets win,but will have a cheeky grin if Pompey come away with anything.lol

Did you know that Pompey hold the record for retaining the F.A cup for the longest period. 👌

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Pompey sold all their tickets(2500).That's a great following to come up North ..I've a soft spot for Pompey(my second team) as my dad was a Royal Marine during WW2 and was stationed at Eastney Barracks in Portsmouth. He had the pleasure of playing football in friendly's with Two Pompey legends, Len Philips (Royal Marine)and the greatest ever Pompey legend Jimmy Dickinson during the war years .my dad was the goalkeeper for Pompeys friendly matches during the war years until he was wounded at Dieppe in a landing craft..Im Looking for another Clarets win,but will have a cheeky grin if Pompey come away with anything.lol

Did you know that Pompey hold the record for retaining the F.A cup for the longest period. ��
    I attended Portsmouth Grammar School from 1960-1970 Alf. Most of my classmates were Pompey fans and I am still in touch with a few of them. I was a committed Burnley fan so I used to watch Fareham Town rather than go to Fratton Park or the Dell. It is great to see Pompey have sold their full ticket allocation. I hope they get to see a great match and go home with nil points. Mike Barnard who was a PGS pupil played for Portsmouth FC in the 1950’s as well as first class cricket with Hampshire.

My son lives in Alton and Jimmy dickinson was born and buried in Alton.I will ho out of my way to visit his grave when I'm down in November, he played 764 games for Pompey and 48 for England. A great guy.

Sorry to deflate the love-in guys but I predict a 4-1 home win.

Got to agree with you guys, Jimmy Dickinson was Pompey's equivalent to our own Jimmy Mc and you can't say fairer than that!

My 1st trip to Fratton Park was in 1972. Never forget the experience as I survived with my life after my Dad tried to blow the pair of us to smithereens.

We set off from Bacup with a car loaded with a full tank of petrol and a boot full of gasoline, he even stacked the back seat with deggen cans. We arrived at Fratton around 1pm then emptied the boot full of petrol ⛽️ into our tank. We both stunk of petrol and the locals gave us some funny looks

No-one gave a *** about H&S in those days, certainly not mi owd fella. You just did what you had to, to get from A-B

Next visit to Fratton was 2019 after a Bournemouth away match. We were catching the ferry to Santander from Pompey. I filled the car up with fuel at the Tesco next to the ground, drove round to the stadium, got out of the car and sang play up Pompey, and reminisced about my previous trip

Portsmouth is our favourite departure point for going to France and Fratton park isn't far from the ferry port, I've often pondered about visiting the ground though I don't think I could start singing "Play up pompey, pompey play up". It doesn't have the same ring as "You'll always be a Bast*rd"

Portsmouth's Fratton Park's location on Portsea Island is unique in English professional football, as it is the only professional English football ground not located on the mainland of Great Britain.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)