+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beating the parked bus

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Hopefully a few pints also George. I don’t get this call for a certain way to play, if we want to survive after promotion we will likely have to change players and style of play, only have to look at Saints for those who don’t. Like Wilko’s 11 we need a team prepared to battle our way out of this league. The club have shown this week their looking to be in PL, I don’t care how we get there..MOT
    As so often, we disagree. Would Bielsa have worked on the basis of "get to PL anyway you can"? He didn't, neither did the team, and we got to the PL.

It's not a "call for a certain way to play", certainly not from me, but more a call to give players the freedom to play to their best ability (and even I can pass a ball back forth a dozen times going neither forward nor back without too much effort). Possession is nothing if you don't use it. We, habitually, don't use it as we should and the complaints of boredom from a LOT of supporters suggest they DO care abwiut how we succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    As so often, we disagree. Would Bielsa have worked on the basis of "get to PL anyway you can"? He didn't, neither did the team, and we got to the PL.

It's not a "call for a certain way to play", certainly not from me, but more a call to give players the freedom to play to their best ability (and even I can pass a ball back forth a dozen times going neither forward nor back without too much effort). Possession is nothing if you don't use it. We, habitually, don't use it as we should and the complaints of boredom from a LOT of supporters suggest they DO care abwiut how we succeed.
    Then we got found out and the wheels came off as everyone’s 2nd favourite team then got hammered regularly.
    The city/fans have spent far too long away, we are everyone’s cup final and very few players are able to handle that target in the Championship, just get me to the PL, I didn’t care how we played or the players we signed under Wilko.. and I won’t care now either

Then we got found out and the wheels came off as everyone’s 2nd favourite team then got hammered regularly.
    The city/fans have spent far too long away, we are everyone’s cup final and very few players are able to handle that target in the Championship, just get me to the PL, I didn’t care how we played or the players we signed under Wilko.. and I won’t care now either
    Yes, we got "found out", just as we have now when teams "park the bus" and we have no way of penetrating a packed defence (like ****ty against ten men). Doesn't mean there isn't another way.

Wilko signed players who could play aggressive, stylish, attacking football and that's how we played. Maybe YOU didn't care but as with Bielsa HE did. You want football that is as entertaining as watching paint dry, in ANY division, you are more than welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Yes, we got "found out", just as we have now when teams "park the bus" and we have no way of penetrating a packed defence (like ****ty against ten men). Doesn't mean there isn't another way.

Wilko signed players who could play aggressive, stylish, attacking football and that's how we played. Maybe YOU didn't care but as with Bielsa HE did. You want football that is as entertaining as watching paint dry, in ANY division, you are more than welcome to it.
    You’re too busy giving your opinion and not reading my post…. As the biggest club outside the PL the only thing that really matters at this time is getting back. We have lost massive ground to what were smaller clubs including some who dropped to the Championship, Every club in this division look at the fixture list to see when they play us, that’s reflected in away attendances.
    Once back and survive 3 seasons (due to current ffp rules) we can then look to being more creative. When The Don took over his first priority was to stop the opposition scoring. How Farke has managed so many clean sheets with Firpo in defence is outstanding.
    Your obviously happy with us trying to be world beaters in the Championship… oh I forgot.. your never happy with anything LUFC, did you pass comment on the ambitious stadium plans this week???

You’re too busy giving your opinion and not reading my post…. As the biggest club outside the PL the only thing that really matters at this time is getting back. We have lost massive ground to what were smaller clubs including some who dropped to the Championship, Every club in this division look at the fixture list to see when they play us, that’s reflected in away attendances.
    Once back and survive 3 seasons (due to current ffp rules) we can then look to being more creative. When The Don took over his first priority was to stop the opposition scoring. How Farke has managed so many clean sheets with Firpo in defence is outstanding.
    Your obviously happy with us trying to be world beaters in the Championship… oh I forgot.. your never happy with anything LUFC, did you pass comment on the ambitious stadium plans this week???
    Did he Fcuk

Aren't we all, you included, giving opinions here? On this particular subject there are very few hard and fast facts to regurgitate, so opinions are what we discuss, yes? I did read your post, and responded by referring to two distinct, similar periods in the clubs history where we played scintillating football, under a manager who encouraged a group of talented players to play to their strengths and in doing so entertain those who go through the turnstiles. Both Wilkinson and Bielsa achieved great things at Leeds, winning "Championhips" (Wilkinson, and/or promotion (Bielsa), both were sacked when things didn't carry on being great, that's football I guess.

Neither, in their pursuit of success, adopted the kind of lack-lustre football we see being played now all too often, nor the "revert to type" behaviour when we are ahead in a game, sitting back and playing the tippy-tappy square ball possession football we saw most recently against Cardiff. I am most certainly NOT the only one to hold that opinion and yes, I'd prefer to see us trying to be world beaters, as we saw under Bielsa. Anyway, getting out of this division is as much about luck as it is playing style or skill. Look at Bielsas first tilt at promotion, and ours last season.

As for the stadium plans? They are just that, plans. The 49-ers said that stadium redevelopment was dependent upon promotion and I see nothing in the statements from Marathe or anyone else that changes that. You may use that as further justification for supporting the playing style we see at present, that's up to you. I'll get all worked up when I see the changes being made (Oh, and Tich, you just can't help yourself, can you?)

Yes less we get promoted then we wont grow back to being one of the biggest clubs with a ground deserving of that achievement. So I take results over performance whilst in this league, spent far too long pxssing about with stop start players and performances. Hopey mentioned the dire 8ts, we get at least double the crowds of then, we need to rise while we have generated so much interest (Much of it due to Bielsa)
    Wilko's signings included Chris Kamara and Vinnie Jones, not sure wonderous football was his priority.

Yes less we get promoted then we wont grow back to being one of the biggest clubs with a ground deserving of that achievement. So I take results over performance whilst in this league, spent far too long pxssing about with stop start players and performances. Hopey mentioned the dire 8ts, we get at least double the crowds of then, we need to rise while we have generated so much interest (Much of it due to Bielsa)
    Wilko's signings included Chris Kamara and Vinnie Jones, not sure wonderous football was his priority.
    We will grow because we win, and we will be successful because the supporters want to support the club. If all we do is bore the sh1t out of them, they will not only cease to support, they will criticise and attack the club they have supported (and it has already happened, just have a look at other social media). Playing as we do isn't any guarantee of promotion, far from it, neither is the Bielsa way, but why is it so improbable to suggest that an amalgam of the two techniques?.

Thing is, we see no such amalgam from Farke, he isn't capable of innovation, destined to repeat all the same things that led us to the play-offs last season, and nothing this season would suggest he has learned any lessons. Not sure Jones deserves any criticisms, and Kamara, well, lets counter that with Bielsa decision to recruit our most expensive flop of all time, JKA and (presumably) your positive view of the stateside sweep that we had a couple of seasons ago?

They were all sh1t, despite undoubted successes in terms of recruitment (e.g. Wilkinson brought in Strachan, Bielsa gave us Raphina), but the recovery from such failures is what counts, and so far, Farke shows no inclination to change.

Don't waste your time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)