Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
To be fair you didn't say that, I maybe misread it.

However it does seem that at some point the council has stopped delivering sand bags and residents have not taken the cue that maybe they should do something to protect themselves. Smacks of the modern ethos of expecting everything to be done for you.

If I lived in an area that was susceptible to flooding or storm surge I'm pretty sure I'd do something to protect my property when the weather forecast had been shouting for a few days about a large storm and wouldn't sit and wait for a council employee to deliver sand bags. Fortunately I'm not reckless enough to live in such an area and performed strict due diligence on every property I've ever owned.

Fail to prepare - prepare to fail
If the Chief Executive of Argyll and Bute Council had made a statement at the beginning of April 2024 (the start of the Council?s current financial year) advising all the council taxpayers and businesses throughout Argyll and Bute that they were longer handing out sandbags to householders and businesses in areas prone to flooding throughout Argyll and Bute when storms were forecast people living in Frederick Crescent, Port Ellen would have been well warned.
Instead the Chief Executive said nothing.
If Argyll and Bute Council was hard up they could have used the funds in their Common Good fund to purchase sandbags to be filled by local residents in these areas prone to flooding thanks to inaction by SEPA who are responsible for flood prevention throughout Scotland.
Last Friday all the Argyll and Bute Council staff had a day?s holiday as they were told not to report for work due to Storm Eowyn.
This resulted in the residents in Frederick Crescent, Port Ellen being left to deal things themselves with assistance from a local Argyll and Bute councillor who told me that he called the local coastguard service for assistance and help.