+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-Millers In The News (2023-24)

Saturday November 11th

Plenty of ex-Millers hitting the net today and ending up on the winning side. Quite a contrast when compared with our current XI.

In the Championship, George Hirst scored in Ipswich's 3-2 win over Swansea and both Wes Harding and Brooke Norton-Cuffy found the net at Hillsborough as Millwall beat Wednesday 4-0.

In League 1, Sam Hoskins grabbed a goal in Northampton's 2-0 win at home over Burton Albion whilst in League 2 Jordan Bowery got one as Mansfield won 2-1 at Salford City. In the National League, Will Grigg scored again for Chesterfield who beat Barnet 4-2.

It won't please many Millers to hear that, according to the commentary in the Man Utd v Luton game, Luton are lining up the sale of Cheo in January for a reported $30M

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Saturday November 11th

Plenty of ex-Millers hitting the net today and ending up on the winning side. Quite a contrast when compared with our current XI.

In the Championship, George Hirst scored in Ipswich's 3-2 win over Swansea and both Wes Harding and Brooke Norton-Cuffy found the net at Hillsborough as Millwall beat Wednesday 4-0.

In League 1, Sam Hoskins grabbed a goal in Northampton's 2-0 win at home over Burton Albion whilst in League 2 Jordan Bowery got one as Mansfield won 2-1 at Salford City. In the National League, Will Grigg scored again for Chesterfield who beat Barnet 4-2.

It won't please many Millers to hear that, according to the commentary in the Man Utd v Luton game, Luton are lining up the sale of Cheo in January for a reported $30M
    If that is true then it adds fuel to the fire about awful asset management by the club, I still think not having a proper reserve/u21 team hurts us more than people think as well, all the money has to be spent just on the first 15 players with no contingency plan or forward thinking leadership. Yes TS has been great for us and yes he runs a good lighting business, but I am not sure the people around him in the club are good football business people, that might be by his choice but it is hurting us a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    If that is true then it adds fuel to the fire about awful asset management by the club, I still think not having a proper reserve/u21 team hurts us more than people think as well, all the money has to be spent just on the first 15 players with no contingency plan or forward thinking leadership. Yes TS has been great for us and yes he runs a good lighting business, but I am not sure the people around him in the club are good football business people, that might be by his choice but it is hurting us a lot.
    If he was still with us he wouldn't have had the stage to showcase his talents so his value wouldn't be anywhere near a 10th of that.

Given our current predicament, if you was TS would you be raiding your piggy bank to commit more money to those who are contributing to the state we are in? We are quick to accept the recognition given to us as one of the best financially run clubs in the EFL but equally as quick to want that blueprint ripping up when the going gets tough. Yes we (or I should say TS) could do it but there are plenty of examples out there to show what happens when it goes wrong.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 11-11-2023 at 09:44 PM.

So you think we manage our assets well? If so why do you think that? I would like to point out at no point in my post did I say we should not manage tbe club well financially, why are so many things one extreme or another with you? He can manage tbe club finqncially well but still make mistakes, the two things are not mutually exclusive

I think we manage our assets carefully and probably make some good decisions (selling Wiles?) and some bad decisions (failing to get anything for Cheo). We can offer all the contract extensions we like but that doesn't mean to say the players will sign them. Let's say for example Olly is on 5K a week so we maybe can offer him an extension at 7.5K/week but to be prudent we need to write in a 50% reduction clause if we are relegated. Would you sign? On the other hand we could offer him 10K a week with no relegation deduction and he'd bite our hands off but how would we pay him on L1 income? On the other hand we could invoke a policy of selling all players with 12 months left on their contract if they refuse to sign an extension when presented with one. However, opponents would naturally be aware of this and offers would probably be well below market value.

Contrary to popular belief these dilemmas exist for all teams from Man City at the top to Sutton United at the bottom of the footballing pile.

Tuesday November 14th

In the FA Cup, Curtis Tilt bagged a pair of goals that pulled Salford back into the game at 3-3 and seemed to have guided them on their way to a 4-3 victory over Posh until JCH spoiled the party with a 120+3 equaliser to make it 4-4. JCH then stepped up to score in the penalty shoot out as Posh prevailed (5-4) in sudden death.

Saturday November 18th

Not much action but a few goals to mention. In L2, Richard Brindley managed to score in his own goal but no damage done as Notts County ran out 4-2 winners over Bradford City. In the National League, Will Grigg grabbed an early goal for Chesterfield at Southend as they went down 2-1 but retain top spot. Finally, in the EFL Trophy, Kieran Sadlier grabbed the only goal as Wycombe overcame AFC Wimbledon.

A few more if I may…..

David Worrall and Jamie proctor came on as subs for Barrow
    Anthony Forde played the whole match for Wrexham

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    A few more if I may…..

David Worrall and Jamie proctor came on as subs for Barrow
    Anthony Forde played the whole match for Wrexham
    No problem Flour, this thread is for anyone to use as they wish to report anything happening with ex-Millers. My summary is only based on the BBC scores page so I only really cover goals and red cards.

I guess I should have included this here which I had put on the Wrexham thread.

Don't know if anyone's actually watching the Wrexham program but it's not been good news for one of our ex-players, Anthony Forde, especially on the back of what happened with Josh Vickers earlier this year. Best wishes to him and his family and well done to Ryan Reynolds.

https://parade.com/news/ryan-reynold...ra-brain-tumor

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    No problem Flour, this thread is for anyone to use as they wish to report anything happening with ex-Millers. My summary is only based on the BBC scores page so I only really cover goals and red cards.

I guess I should have included this here which I had put on the Wrexham thread.

Don't know if anyone's actually watching the Wrexham program but it's not been good news for one of our ex-players, Anthony Forde, especially on the back of what happened with Josh Vickers earlier this year. Best wishes to him and his family and well done to Ryan Reynolds.

https://parade.com/news/ryan-reynold...ra-brain-tumor
    Meanwhile Rome burns with the political racist post on the choose the next manger thread.!.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast