+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Lineker to step back from MOTD

I fast forward through the pundidts on Match of the Day anyway so to me they are a waste of licence fee payers money.

I

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Yup

Back in the day they weren't adverse to show lower league games from time to time
    ITV have the rights for the EFL though so the BBC couldn't show them.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    As someone pointed out on here a few days ago this issue relates to what is in Lineker's contract with the BBC and not freedom of speech.
    If it says he cannot make statements like he has then he's not abiding by the terms of his appointment. If he signed up to that then he's limited his ability to make free speech and express his opinion. He's getting paid a lot of money to abide by those terms so he can't have it both ways.

If he hasn't signed up to those type of terms, or they are too vague, then the BBC is wrong in its stance
    He obviously can have it both ways.The snowflake hierarchy have caved in .Who actually runs this state funded BBC?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    As someone pointed out on here a few days ago this issue relates to what is in Lineker's contract with the BBC and not freedom of speech.
    If it says he cannot make statements like he has then he's not abiding by the terms of his appointment. If he signed up to that then he's limited his ability to make free speech and express his opinion. He's getting paid a lot of money to abide by those terms so he can't have it both ways.

If he hasn't signed up to those type of terms, or they are too vague, then the BBC is wrong in its stance
    From the up to date events it looks to be the BBC in the wrong as they have agreed with Linekar that they are to get an independent panel in just to create these terms for their presenters, so that all are clear and can choose whether they sign on or not. Sounds fair enough but poor show from the beeb for acting to suspend when they had no such social media guidelines in place for their staff.

Wonder if Alan Sugar will sign up to whatever they come up with?! After all, he did tell everyone to vote for Boris and that he'd leave the country if Labour got in!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Wonder if Alan Sugar will sign up to whatever they come up with?! After all, he did tell everyone to vote for Boris and that he'd leave the country if Labour got in!
    He was previously a Labour Lord and one of their biggest donors.

This whole episode just demonstrates what’s wrong with the BBC hierarchy.
    However the suggestions that the BBC has bias towards the government is absolutely tosh.
    It’s riddled with wokery at best and at worst it undermines the democratic freedoms which the nation is built upon. This same crowd will disappear overseas with their pots of money when the country goes down the pan.
    It’s ABC…. anti British corp
    Needs overhauling.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    He was previously a Labour Lord and one of their biggest donors.
    Not sure what that has to do with the fact that he was able to make sucha big political statement but not be subject to the same scrutiny, outrage and suspension that Linekar received?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    He obviously can have it both ways.The snowflake hierarchy have caved in .Who actually runs this state funded BBC?
    Caved in to whom? The hundreds of thousands of people who support Lineker’s right to freedom of speech? I know it might come as a surprise to some on here, but MillersMad is not a barometer of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by millersrus View Post
    This whole episode just demonstrates what’s wrong with the BBC hierarchy.
    However the suggestions that the BBC has bias towards the government is absolutely tosh.
    It’s riddled with wokery at best and at worst it undermines the democratic freedoms which the nation is built upon. This same crowd will disappear overseas with their pots of money when the country goes down the pan.
    It’s ABC…. anti British corp
    Needs overhauling.
    Had to double take at this MRU? Who on here is suggesting that the BBC has bias towards the government?

I think you'll find that there are people on the left and right, usually quite polemical, who are able to give lots of examples that the BBC is biased. Which for me indicates that, on balance, they get a very difficult balancing act more or less right.

Still waiting for Derby to link me to the sources, articles and books that show the BBC is left wing biased. Come on Derbs!

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    The Guardian reported it so it must be true. Lol. How disingenuous of you to post it less than 12 hours ago, after ALL involved refuted it. Typical of your sort really.

Gary Lineker can say anything he likes for me. What I hope is that the BBC now do some soul searching and stop paying these average presenters and even worse pundits astronomical salaries.

Don’t need to.

The Guardian previously reported Friday that the show was intended as a sixth episode to the Wild Isles series and that it had been pulled to avoid criticism from Conservative MPs and right-wing newspapers. It said insiders at the BBC accused the corporation was bowing to pressure from lobbying groups by broadcasting it only on iPlayer.

A spokesperson from the BBC replied: "This is totally inaccurate, there is no sixth episode. Wild Isles is – and always was – a five-part series and does not shy away from environmental content.

An Open University spokesperson said: "We are proud to lend our academic expertise and co-produce Wild Isles with the BBC which consists of five episodes. Saving Our Wild Isles is a separate film inspired by the series that was commissioned by the RSPB and WWF and does not have input from the Open University."

A joint statement from WWF, the RSPB and the National Trust said: “Saving Our Wild Isles, which the Guardian article is referring to, is a complementary documentary to the Wild Isles TV series. Saving Our Wild Isles is produced by Silverback, commissioned by WWF, National Trust and RSPB, and will be available on iPlayer.
    Not disingenuous at all. I posted the info believing the article to be true. If you're right and I'm not, then fair enough.

No harm in jumping to conclusions to justify your prejudice though. Eh?
    Last edited by mygiddypant; 13-03-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast