+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Celtic v Aberdeen

Painful as it remains that we got a 6-0 pastin, Ah think there's room for some mitigation here ... ie. nae excuses, but facts.

If ye care tae take a look at our mixed bag of results, you'll generally find that the shorter periods between fixtures correlates wi' our poorer results/performances. This is nae unique tae oor famous Reds, but here and now, it's ours.

The guys put in one hell of a shift on Thurs, away .. in fkn Greece, v PAOK .... I imagine they would hae got home sometime on Friday. Saturday? rest? Light training? A bit o' physio?
    ... then 2.30 kick off for an away game on the Sunday? So, mair like 2 and a half days between finishin' one game and gettin on the bus for the next.

In contrast, the green filth played on the Tuesday ... in Spain. It's perfectly feasible they could hae been hame in their fkn scratchers same night ... prob nae tho, but early enough next day tae get a proper rest .... maybe even anither day's full rest, and still had two full days tae get some physio/prep/trainin done ahead o' the game. FFS ... maybe even a bit o' warm up early Sunday ... bein at hame.

Surely you guys watchin the game spotted how sluggish the guys were, mere minutes efter kick aff, whilst the smellies were fleein aboot like fkn spring chickens.

So, whilst Ah agree there needs tae be better squad rotation, there also needs tae be a certain cohesiveness in the team. But Ah also agree wi Barry Robson that the SFA/SPFL need tae gie us a break re. fixture congestion. We were at an almighty disadvantage afore the fkn turnstiles opened ... even wi' a few changes, if Dons had played oot o' their wearied skins for the 103 minutes, and had a season's worth o' luck, we were still gettin' a doin' ... maybe nae by 6, but as Mark McGhee once said, "it's only 3 points".

I suspect Barry is very aware that stating 'tiredness/fatigue' is becoming 'tiresome' to fans, and therefore has refrained this time round ... but I wonder if this is unfair on the players, and to some extent the manager himself.

I repeat the second sentence of this post ...

"If ye care tae take a look at our mixed bag of results, you'll generally find that the shorter periods between fixtures correlates wi' our poorer results/performances."

If the fitba authorities cared at all about how clubs represent country in Euro games, they would act. Dare I say, Celtic might have a similar case ... re. their Donsesque performance v Athletico, and carbon copy 6-0 doin' ... 3 days efter an away game in the hielans. Maybe disna quite compare, but, Ah watched the game, and Timothy were like fkn geriatrics.
    Last edited by NaeMairNeeps; 14-11-2023 at 12:43 AM.

Oh .. and jist a wee point ... Ruby might be a bit o' a liability, but his 'intae them - heid first' challenge v Kyogo is fit we need a fkn heap mair o' if we're gonna get onythin at the Tattiedome or fkn Snake Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Painful as it remains that we got a 6-0 pastin, Ah think there's room for some mitigation here ... ie. nae excuses, but facts.

If ye care tae take a look at our mixed bag of results, you'll generally find that the shorter periods between fixtures correlates wi' our poorer results/performances. This is nae unique tae oor famous Reds, but here and now, it's ours.

The guys put in one hell of a shift on Thurs, away .. in fkn Greece, v PAOK .... I imagine they would hae got home sometime on Friday. Saturday? rest? Light training? A bit o' physio?
    ... then 2.30 kick off for an away game on the Sunday? So, mair like 2 and a half days between finishin' one game and gettin on the bus for the next.

In contrast, the green filth played on the Tuesday ... in Spain. It's perfectly feasible they could hae been hame in their fkn scratchers same night ... prob nae tho, but early enough next day tae get a proper rest .... maybe even anither day's full rest, and still had two full days tae get some physio/prep/trainin done ahead o' the game. FFS ... maybe even a bit o' warm up early Sunday ... bein at hame.

Surely you guys watchin the game spotted how sluggish the guys were, mere minutes efter kick aff, whilst the smellies were fleein aboot like fkn spring chickens.

So, whilst Ah agree there needs tae be better squad rotation, there also needs tae be a certain cohesiveness in the team. But Ah also agree wi Barry Robson that the SFA/SPFL need tae gie us a break re. fixture congestion. We were at an almighty disadvantage afore the fkn turnstiles opened ... even wi' a few changes, if Dons had played oot o' their wearied skins for the 103 minutes, and had a season's worth o' luck, we were still gettin' a doin' ... maybe nae by 6, but as Mark McGhee once said, "it's only 3 points".

I suspect Barry is very aware that stating 'tiredness/fatigue' is becoming 'tiresome' to fans, and therefore has refrained this time round ... but I wonder if this is unfair on the players, and to some extent the manager himself.

"If ye care tae take a look at our mixed bag of results, you'll generally find that the shorter periods between fixtures correlates wi' our poorer results/performances."

If the fitba authorities cared at all about how clubs represent country in Euro games, they would act. Dare I say, Celtic might have a similar case ... re. their Donsesque performance v Athletico, and carbon copy 6-0 doin' ... 3 days efter an away game in the hielans. Maybe disna quite compare, but, Ah watched the game, and Timothy were like fkn geriatrics.
    There isn't any mitigation when we make the same mistakes time and time again.

We all knew it was going to be a tough season with European fitba, but the rotation policy and tactics are down to the manager. He knows no team can keep playing the same players game after game, like we are.

I'm quite sure we'll be ok once Europe is finished and we go back to playing once a week.

If we get Europe next season I really hope he learns from this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post

Rotate the players properly then. You have a squad, use it.

Robson hasn’t and doesn’t. He’s relied on the same 13/14 players all season.

He’s seen the results and performances post European games - yet he’s persisted with the exact same approach regardless.

I cannot believe the rest of the squad is that bad. They couldn’t have done any worse than that shower of utter shïte on Sunday.

Dress it up however you want, the fault lies 100% with Robson - and I haven’t even mentioned his appalling tactics yet…

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    Rotate the players properly then. You have a squad, use it.

Robson hasn’t and doesn’t. He’s relied on the same 13/14 players all season.

He’s seen the results and performances post European games - yet he’s persisted with the exact same approach regardless.

I cannot believe the rest of the squad is that bad. They couldn’t have done any worse than that shower of utter shïte on Sunday.

Dress it up however you want, the fault lies 100% with Robson - and I haven’t even mentioned his appalling tactics yet…
    We've certainly got the squad to rotate the defence and attack and to be fair he does rotate the midfield to an extent with Polvara/Clarkson and Barron making way for each other. Problem is, with playing four central midfielders each game that's not really giving any of them much of a rest and Shinnie isn't getting any.

Robson's high-tempo approach is reliant on the midfield more than anything, so if they're getting fatigued playing every game...it's bound to lead to lifeless and totally ineffective performances like Celtic, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Hibs, Hearts...and the others might have missed.

We need to sign another midfielder or have a plan B (like 433) if we're going to use our squad and also be less fkn predictable to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbull666 View Post
    We've certainly got the squad to rotate the defence and attack and to be fair he does rotate the midfield to an extent with Polvara/Clarkson and Barron making way for each other. Problem is, with playing four central midfielders each game that's not really giving any of them much of a rest and Shinnie isn't getting any.

Robson's high-tempo approach is reliant on the midfield more than anything, so if they're getting fatigued playing every game...it's bound to lead to lifeless and totally ineffective performances like Celtic, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Hibs, Hearts...and the others might have missed.

We need to sign another midfielder or have a plan B (like 433) if we're going to use our squad and also be less fkn predictable to play against.
    This does seem to be the most likely cause & solution ? Mind the days when all we had were central midfielders. And played them everywhere else but in midfield ?!!

haha yep. I also remember that entirely ginger midfield we had for a while, Baz, Rob Milsom and a couple of others - a glorious sight

For once I think the team is in a decent place - I can't see us having to do too much in January (please don't start that thread yet)

Unless Liverpool are paying 99% of Williams wages then terminate the loan and just bring in two - a solid CB and a midfielder to properly deputise for Shinnie and replace Barron when the times comes - as sadly I think he's away. If you're not going to play them then send Dadia back too and MacDonald out on loan while you're at it

With the formation Baz plays (constantly) that should be enough to get what we need by the end of the season

I'd love to see a return to the 4-2-3-1 as I think Miovski would be rampant with that support but its a pipe dream

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910