+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1047

Thread: O/T Democracy

One day you may surprise me young Kerr...

I know one thing its gonna be a fascinating election worrever side you are on. I can see me being glued to the swingometer all neight and yet I suspect nowt will really change much at the end of the day... if Brexit aint done by 31st Oct, this is gonna roll on for years potentially...the EU will naturally dissolve in my opinion eventually though so biglad and co if you are patient and wait long enough you will get your wish...the remainers will lose cos there wont be owt to remain in...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 30-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.

I agree. I think it's impossible to call the election at the moment given that the two largest parties seem to be unelectable.

Think the Libs will catch the hard remain vote and Brexit party the hard brexit vote. I can see an increased Lib presence in the h of c and a few brexit party MPs which will be at the expense of both Cons and Lab. A major party might get a small majority but not enough to do much without some collusion with other parties. What's tha think Kerr?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I think most of the extreme Left in this country have joined the Labour Party, Roly. TUSC didn't put up candidates in 2017 for that reason.

No, the Labour Party can't count on my support in its current iteration.
    The last Labour Party leader I had anything in common with was Michael Foot who had some very good ideas (and a few bad ones) but all in all he was a man of the people and a man of conviction. Everyone after him seems to have gradually sold out and has now more in common with big business than they do with the working man which is why Corbyn seems happy to sell out traditional Labour supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Think the Libs will catch the hard remain vote and Brexit party the hard brexit vote. I can see an increased Lib presence in the h of c and a few brexit party MPs which will be at the expense of both Cons and Lab. A major party might get a small majority but not enough to do much without some collusion with other parties. What's tha think Kerr?
    There are too many uncertainties to do anything more than guess. With Labour sitting firmly on the fence, I can see them taking a hit from both the Lib Dems and Brexit Party. The Lib Dems will also gain from Tories who are remain inclined or who cannot stomach BoJo.

The main uncertainty is the extent to which the Brexit Party and Tories reach an accommodation (and yes, I know what BoJo says about that) and avoid splitting the leave vote. If they don't they may well fail to take seats in firmly leave constituencies.

I'd be surprised if any party gained an overall majority, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    There are too many uncertainties to do anything more than guess. With Labour sitting firmly on the fence, I can see them taking a hit from both the Lib Dems and Brexit Party. The Lib Dems will also gain from Tories who are remain inclined or who cannot stomach BoJo.

The main uncertainty is the extent to which the Brexit Party and Tories reach an accommodation (and yes, I know what BoJo says about that) and avoid splitting the leave vote. If they don't they may well fail to take seats in firmly leave constituencies.

I'd be surprised if any party gained an overall majority, but who knows?
    What would you be pleased to see Labour do over Brexit? What stance would you personally like them to take? Or even think that they should take?

My fear for Labour is that 1. They lose the Brexiteer vote 2. They lose the Centre Left vote and 3. They lose much of the remain vote.

Some going.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    The last Labour Party leader I had anything in common with was Michael Foot who had some very good ideas (and a few bad ones) but all in all he was a man of the people and a man of conviction.
    Putting aside Brexit who do you vote now Biglad?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    My fear for Labour is that 1. They lose the Brexiteer vote 2. They lose the Centre Left vote and 3. They lose much of the remain vote.

Some going.
    True but note that many of the hard Brexiters wouldn't touch labour again with a barge pole, and would only me even the slightest bit tempted to Labour again if Labour went No Deal. And in my experience, many of the old centre left and hardcore remainers are one and the same thing - just as unwilling to compromise as the No Dealers. They will go to Lib Dems.

Just a case of how many non extremists are left and will the manifesto appeal to them sufficiently to get beyond the 'Corbyn' issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    What would you be pleased to see Labour do over Brexit? What stance would you personally like them to take? Or even think that they should take?
    I don't particularly want Labour to do anything over Brexit. It's a matter for them. Should the calamity come to pass and they get into power, the disaster would be for them to agree the nonsensical Norway style monstrosity envisaged by their 'six tests'.

They are caught by the disparate nature of their support - the 'traditional' Labour in the North and the more internationalist Labour in the South.

Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 LastLast