+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crewe Alexander Post Match Thoughts

Way I look at it you've either got it or you haven't. Younger players Edmunds Green & Bola haven't. Our 30 something players Mattock Ferguson Grigg have lost it somewhat depends how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I had to Google what Malbec was🤔, I'll try some of that. UTM
    It is to the 2020s what Liebfraumilch was to the 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Way I look at it you've either got it or you haven't. Younger players Edmunds Green & Bola haven't. Our 30 something players Mattock Ferguson Grigg have lost it somewhat depends how much.
    But Edmunds Green looked really sharp warming up the other week? That has to count for something? You saw it with your magic eye.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    I don't know correct rules but they weren't going to score & Wes wasn't last man stopping them scoring so harsh decision
    Pulling a man back like he did is a foul and a booking anywhere on the pitch so 2nd yellow and penalty. Also, nothing to do with him being at left back and everything to do with him being wrong side of the man. I bet Mr. Wood had something to say to him about that?

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    But Edmunds Green looked really sharp warming up the other week? That has to count for something? You saw it with your magic eye.
    Both Reg and Bola will do well for us given pitch time

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Pulling a man back like he did is a foul and a booking anywhere on the pitch so 2nd yellow and penalty. Also, nothing to do with him being at left back and everything to do with him being wrong side of the man. I bet Mr. Wood had something to say to him about that?
    We owe Wes something like Ihiekwe for last season unbelievable they didn't start yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Both Reg and Bola will do well for us given pitch time
    I know mate, most of us with an ounce of football understanding can see that. Bola in particular IMO.

well PW states that "we can't coach them any better" in his post match interview, seems a strange thing to say when we had twenty shots and only a handful on target, perhaps some shooting practice might help. I thought we played well and should have won it 3 or 4 nil, crap finishing, poor use of subs (again) for me cost us. Warne got his in game decisions wrong today and this is his biggest weakness. Yes Mattock was injured (again!!) at this state of his career he shouldn't be our first choice at the back, for the last couple of seasons he is getting more and more prone to niggly injuries, he played well today and he can do a job for us but to keep starting him is introducing unnecessary risk. Now it is clear at half time due to that injury we had to make a change, and rightly the management had noticed we were getting a lot of joy down their right, so fergusan was a good decision. Warne has confirmed Mattock was injured but Bola was not. Why not play Bola in Mattocks position and see how he did there, that would have meant we didn't waste that second substituation too early., this is a position he has played before in his short career. We played some good stuff today when we passed through the middle, Rathbones work got us the goal and Wiles never stopped running, Barlasar played great for 75 mins but the last 15 he was getting overrun in midfield, the perfect sub would have been Lindsay for Barlasar to tighten up midfield, unfortunately due to poor team selection and poor substituations we did not have that option, this is time and time again, the management team get it wrong far too many times. Yes we have built a good squad and credit to all concerned for that, but we have to use them right and coach them right to get the best from this group of players a group that should be finishing in the top 6 in May if we avoid injuries.
    Fergusan is clearly the best left wing back at the club, so why didn't he start? If he was fit enough for the 45 mins he shouild have started, but the real question is what has gone on with Ike if you have to bring on a CB at halftime why not our best most consistent CB a guy that was brilliant in the Championship and started well this year? Is this another player that Warne now has an issue with or is it just a bad decision? Harding is a good player but that position is not natural to him he is out of position on his weaker side, 3 home games he has made mistakes that has cost us points, we have to stop playing players out of position. I cannot agree with Gru about Wood he was outstanding again today and Edmunds-Green did ok he is improving with game time, not very good in the air but he is calm on the ball.
    The sequence of events went Rathbone goal, Crewe brought on Porter 3 minutes later (he always does well against us) we made the final change 14 minutes later, another like for like change. Warne says Grigg looked tired, so did Barlasar I thought we were the fittest team in the league!! That meant we had nearly 15 mins to watch how the game was starting to change and how Porter was causing our back 3 more issues and bringing their midfield into the game, so why oh why would you keep it the same and do a like for like change for a bloke that doesn't chase or close down, beyond belief that we make these in game errors time and time again, this is not a one off issue. Then we were pushed back and as others said we could all see what was going to happen. It is so annoying watching us throw home points away. Now it is correct we should have been at least 2 up by the last 15 mins and the game dead and buried, however in games like yesterday where it is one goal, those in game decisions are critical and are the difference on getting 3 points or not.
    We should have won that game by 3 or 4, we do not hit the target enough with our shots we have that needs more work as well but we are creating chances and that is good. We are very close to being a good team, I still think we need another coach to give us some new ideas, clearly this is supported by the manager who now admits they can't coach them anymore. I hope we are up for it on Tuesday and don't make silly errors on the pitch or from the bench, Wimbledon are a decent team. Up the millers and keep the faith.
    Last edited by Derbymiller; 26-09-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    well PW states that "we can't coach them any better" in his post match interview, seems a strange thing to say when we had twenty shots and only a handful on target, perhaps some shooting practice might help. I thought we played well and should have won it 3 or 4 nil, crap finishing, poor use of subs (again) for me cost us. Warne got his in game decisions wrong today and this is his biggest weakness. Yes Mattock was injured (again!!) at this state of his career he shouldn't be our first choice at the back, for the last couple of seasons he is getting more and more prone to niggly injuries, he played well today and he can do a job for us but to keep starting him is introducing unnecessary risk. Now it is clear at half time due to that injury we had to make a change, and rightly the management had noticed we were getting a lot of joy down their right, so fergusan was a good decision. Warne has confirmed Mattock was injured but Bola was not. Why not play Bola in Mattocks position and see how he did there, that would have meant we didn't waste that second substituation too early., this is a position he has played before in his short career. We played some good stuff today when we passed through the middle, Rathbones work got us the goal and Wiles never stopped running, Barlasar played great for 75 mins but the last 15 he was getting overrun in midfield, the perfect sub would have been Lindsay for Barlasar to tighten up midfield, unfortunately due to poor team selection and poor substituations we did not have that option, this is time and time again, the management team get it wrong far too many times. Yes we have built a good squad and credit to all concerned for that, but we have to use them right and coach them right to get the best from this group of players a group that should be finishing in the top 6 in May if we avoid injuries.
    Fergusan is clearly the best left wing back at the club, so why didn't he start? If he was fit enough for the 45 mins he shouild have started, but the real question is what has gone on with Ike if you have to bring on a CB at halftime why not our best most consistent CB a guy that was brilliant in the Championship and started well this year? Is this another player that Warne now has an issue with or is it just a bad decision? Harding is a good player but that position is not natural to him he is out of position on his weaker side, 3 home games he has made mistakes that has cost us points, we have to stop playing players out of position. I cannot agree with Gru about Wood he was outstanding again today and Edmunds-Green did ok he is improving with game time, not very good in the air but he is calm on the ball.
    The sequence of events went Rathbone goal, Crewe brought on Porter 3 minutes later (he always does well against us) we made the final change 14 minutes later, another like for like change. Warne says Grigg looked tired, so did Barlasar I thought we were the fittest team in the league!! That meant we had nearly 15 mins to watch how the game was starting to change and how Porter was causing our back 3 more issues and bringing their midfield into the game, so why oh why would you keep it the same and do a like for like change for a bloke that doesn't chase or close down, beyond belief that we make these in game errors time and time again, this is not a one off issue. Then we were pushed back and as others said we could all see what was going to happen. It is so annoying watching us throw home points away. Now it is correct we should have been at least 2 up by the last 15 mins and the game dead and buried, however in games like yesterday where it is one goal, those in game decisions are critical and are the difference on getting 3 points or not.
    We should have won that game by 3 or 4, we do not hit the target enough with our shots we have that needs more work as well but we are creating chances and that is good. We are very close to being a good team, I still think we need another coach to give us some new ideas, clearly this is supported by the manager who now admits they can't coach them anymore. I hope we are up for it on Tuesday and don't make silly errors on the pitch or from the bench, Wimbledon are a decent team. Up the millers and keep the faith.
    We can’t coach them any better?

Probably correct, they’ve reached the aptitude level of the coaching team.

Same old ideas, same old everything

So maybe changes are needed in PW’s support team and not within the squad?

BTW paragraphs are your friend 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I pretty much agree with most of that but I would have replaced Grigg with Lindsay and pushed Rathbone up.We were getting overrun down the centre and Lindsay with fresh legs would have solved that.Freddie is just not up to it.I would involve Miller on Tuesday for sure.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast