+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

An inscription on the statue, which was built in 1895, read: “Erected by citizens of Bristol as a memorial of one of the most virtuous and wise sons of their city.”

Now that is patently not true is it?
    That is why I said it does matter who put it up & more importantly,why
    I think they should leave the plinth but add to the inscription that on this plinth stood the statue of a man who earned his fame by trading in slaves & was torn down by the citizens of this City once it gained public knowledge
    It's becoming more & more obvious that the public are only told part of the story with regard to many of our "heroes" who are commemorated but if you are happy with this state of affairs so be it but I'm not & the inscription on the plinth would be as much as most would have known
    Thank chuff we found out early about Jimmy Savile although the establihment fought tooth & nail to suppress it
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 11-06-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    An inscription on the statue, which was built in 1895, read: “Erected by citizens of Bristol as a memorial of one of the most virtuous and wise sons of their city.”

Now that is patently not true is it?
    That is why I said it does matter who put it up & more importantly,why
    I think they should leave the plinth but add to the inscription that on this plinth stood the statue of a man who earned his fame by trading in slaves & was torn down by the citizens of this City once it gained public knowledge
    It's becoming more & more obvious that the public are only told part of the story with regard to many of our "heroes" who are commemorated but if you are happy with this state of affairs so be it but I'm not
    Thank chuff we found out early about Jimmy Savile although the establihment fought tooth & nail to suppress it
    He also built many schools, and educational building. ( although I do accept that he was building these and other buildings for use ONLY for people within his own political circles) maybe that’s also why he’s so hated ?
    Last edited by Jules88; 11-06-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    He also built many schools, and educational building.
    Oh that's alright then
    So did Hitler
    He built the autobahn you know
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 11-06-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Oh that's alright then
    So did Hitler
    He built the autobahn you know
    Exactly my point. There are two sides to every story. Leave Hitler out of it. There’s no arguement there
    As far as I’m aware in my limited history knowledge, there isn’t any statue of Hitler to argue about. If there were, I’d want the government to remove it.
    We’ve established that both Colston and Hitler we’re racists. And that Jimmy Saville was a *****. All three deserve no statue.
    I think you are failing to grasp exile, ( and what others have already grasped) what my original point was.

There’s a way to do these things, and a return to mob rule, isn’t one of them. Also, the Labour leader says it.

Exactly my point. There are two sides to every story. Leave Hitler out of it. There’s no arguement there
    As far as I’m aware in my limited history knowledge, there isn’t any statue of Hitler to argue about. If there were, I’d want the government to remove it.
    We’ve established that both Colston and Hitler we’re racists. And that Jimmy Saville was a *****. All three deserve no statue.
    I think you are failing to grasp exile, ( and what others have already grasped) what my original point was.

There’s a way to do these things, and a return to mob rule, isn’t one of them. Also, the Labour leader says it.

Who exactly are these others who have already grasped your original post?
    You say if there was a Statue of Hitler you would want the gov't to remove it
    & if they didn't?
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 11-06-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Firstly, DONT, endeavour to swing your wooden spoon in such a way as to cause conflict and bad feeling. I am a little smarter than to grab at the hook you cast.

So I’ll give you one example, and apologise to Animal in advance if I’m wrong. sorry Animal, first one I came across.

“I said in an earlier post that I'm not in favour of erasing history”
    which I take to mean that he is unhappy with the situation of the statues being there, yet agrees with me that there is a place for these “artefacts” to be displayed somewhere”. As it’s part of our history, good and bad.

I’m not going to troll all the posts, not my style. But I think we understand each other.
    You want them torn down.
    I want a discussion, and an agreed process, based on a sensible debate. Not a screaming mob who decide their destruction.
    Last edited by Jules88; 11-06-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Firstly, DONT, endeavour to swing your wooden spoon in such a way as to cause conflict and bad feeling. I am a little smarter than to grab at the hook you cast.

So I’ll give you one example, and apologise to Animal in advance if I’m wrong.

“I said in an earlier post that I'm not in favour of erasing history”
    which I take to mean that he is unhappy with the situation of the statues being there, yet agrees with me that there is a place for these “artefacts” to be displayed somewhere”. As it’s part of our history, good and bad.

I’m not going to troll all the posts, not my style. But I think we understand each other.
    You want them torn down.
    I want a discussion, and an agreed process, based on a sensible debate. Not a screaming mob who decide their destruction.
    You simply don't get it do you Jules
    Are you aware how long the debate re the statue of Colston has been going on in Bristol?

You simply don't get it do you Jules
    Are you aware how long the debate re the statue of Colston has been going on in Bristol?
    Not in the least interested how long the debates been going on.
    The debate should happen. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that they upset people. Or wether they should be removed ( hope you’ve got that now).

I’ll say again... (Twice now to you today) , just so you understand my view. You don’t have to agree to it, I’m not trying to convert you.
    I DO understand your views.

I want a discussion, an agreed Process, based on sensible debate not a screaming mob.

I want the reason for this action to be the fact that this country recognises the slave trade as a horrendous practice and removes glorification of it. Yet doesn’t destroy the fact that it happened. Nor does it destroy people shops, some of whom are most probably in agreement with the mob!

As Roma says at bedtime ...... “off now” "............ Most definitely my butler will have prepared “Caviar and toast and eggs benedict.....“

I live in Huddersfield “don’t you know “
    Last edited by Jules88; 11-06-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Not in the least interested how long the debates been going on.
    The debate should happen. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that they upset people. Or wether they should be removed ( hope you’ve got that now).

I’ll say again... (Twice now to you today) , just so you understand my view. You don’t have to agree to it, I’m not trying to convert you.
    I DO understand your views.

I want a discussion, an agreed Process, based on sensible debate not a screaming mob.

I want the reason for this action to be the fact that this country recognises the slave trade as a horrendous practice and removes glorification of it. Yet doesn’t destroy the fact that it happened. Nor does it destroy people shops, some of whom are most probably in agreement with the mob!
    Not in the least interested how long the debates been going on. [/quote]

I want a discussion, an agreed Process, based on sensible debate not a screaming mob. [/quote]

Can you not see your contradiction

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast