+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Conservative vote 50.1😎

Obviously that stings a bit but hey ho......conservative.....unionist and liberal.....two cheeks same bum.

Conservative party has had more votes than any other party in Scotland.....ever.
    The Scottish Unionist party achieved success as a Scottish party, not a British one. As soon as they went full Brit, they declined rapidly. Becoming Conservative ended them and signalled the rise of the SNP. Moral of the story, never go full Brit.

Conservative and Unionist party the only party to ever achieve more than 50% of the popular vote in Scotland.
    Before they even existed, some going

50.1 .....incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I have been interested in this idea for a long time. When you look at other countries, mainly in Africa but elsewhere too, the people who were given the right to form the first government were usually members who had led the campaigns for independence. Some of them became dictators some were overthrown by armed struggle and all have not thought that being part of the British Empire was a better option. I think the SNP have distinct groupings within their party. They started out as Tartan Tories and once they were able to show that they were an effective opposition to Labour they swing to the left and picked up the anti Tony Blair loyal Labour voters who believed in clause 4.
    I was hopeful that Holyrood would not be dominated by one party if we voted for independence. That hope has been dented quite a bit by the trouble that The Salmond committee has encountered. This was a major surprise to me. It looks like all governments who have power act in their own rather than the national interest. It is possible to see Brexit as a discussion that was designed to save the Conservative party rather than an honest attempt to return power to the electorate.
    If we ever do vote for independence I hope that we do not end up with a one party state. I think the voting system is designed to create multi party governments and am hopeful that we will not face decades of single party governments.
    Interested on your take of the one party state,
    Years ago before a Scottish government and even when the British government was a Tory government, Scotland was still labour for a great number of years, almost like a one party state.
    I remember in Dundee, if the Labour Party in Dundee had put up a cardboard cut out for election, they word still have been elected.
    One party states in Africa are different because there are no politics in Africa because it always comes back to one thing, tribalism.
    The best example is Rhodesia (Zimbadwe), which was the bread basket of Africa, a rich country with minerals, mining, tourism and agriculture, which was destroyed by Robert Mugabe.
    Nykomo was pro-British, but More tribes had allegiance to Mugabe and stayed in power for decades.

50.1 .....incredible.
    Pretty poor attempt given unionist parties combined have had more than 50% of the popular vote share the entire history of the union. Enjoy your last few weeks of using that stat

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    Interested on your take of the one party state,
    Years ago before a Scottish government and even when the British government was a Tory government, Scotland was still labour for a great number of years, almost like a one party state.
    I think it's ok to have a one-party state if it's a unionist party in control. Like the UK.

Absolute bizarre of you bcram to bring up African states rather than New Zealand, Australia, Canada, you know, places that are alike?

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    I think it's ok to have a one-party state if it's a unionist party in control. Like the UK.

Absolute bizarre of you bcram to bring up African states rather than New Zealand, Australia, Canada, you know, places that are alike?
    Did not think they were alike. Their political parties had a discussion about keeping the Queen as head of State and becoming independent. The people decided and everyone accepted the decision. Scotland did the same and made a choice to stay in the union. The SNP have not accepted the decision, big difference for me.

Why are you talking about the queen, who cares? The SNP are a political party, the independence movement is wider than just a single party, even some tories support independence if the SNP stopped supporting indy, they'd cease to exist. Little actual sign of the SNP supporting indy though, just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Did not think they were alike. Their political parties had a discussion about keeping the Queen as head of State and becoming independent. The people decided and everyone accepted the decision. Scotland did the same and made a choice to stay in the union. The SNP have not accepted the decision, big difference for me.
    3 polls in a row now favour unity.

Sepratist high water mark was earlier this year....then the lies, corruption, sleaze and racism was exposed.

Gibson and Grady seem to be the two pests who groped the SNP staffer.

What is it about that party that attracts these folk.

Blackford up to his neck in it as well.

Shredders will be burning up again.😂

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)