+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sheff United v Barnsley match thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Laiking for who animal?
    Rose n Crown from Darton Ethel , late 90's .

Laiking for who animal?
    We only ran when we had to run Ethel and didn't chase the ball down in areas where we'd limited chance of success .

I made runs only when we had the ball which suited me fine at 34 years old .

We were playing against a league full of young lads who were fitter than us , almost everyone was fitter than us to be fair .

The lad who ran us just said make those runs animal when we have the ball .

He made the pitch 40 yards smaller for the likes of me which obviously I appreciated .

I only ran when I could really hurt the opposition .

Absolutely flumexed the league and we weren't great as a team by any means but it just shows what you can do in this game .

Nobody owns this game tactically and they never will .

Shillito?

Shillito?
    Before then Ethel , not as good as him he was Barnsley Park Avenue before they came to the Rose n Crown if memory serves me right , could be wrong mind .

34 would have me at 1996 so maybe I'm out on the late 90s .

I'd a few games for Park Ave in the late 90s but my legs had gone by that time if the truth be told .

I was alright but just alright and the recovery killed me .

Round about Friday when my legs felt normal .

Time to jack it up I thought .

Wisely .

I know the team and after when billy was manager. I had finished by then I’m a bit older than you. Had the same problems as you working away all week and staying fit got more difficult. My last season we won the league and reached the quarter final of the Sheffield cup (not bad for a pub team)!

I Miss it but I did a bit of vets stuff after health problems and loved it. Paying the price now mind.

I know the team and after when billy was manager. I had finished by then I’m a bit older than you. Had the same problems as you working away all week and staying fit got more difficult. My last season we won the league and reached the quarter final of the Sheffield cup (not bad for a pub team)!

I Miss it but I did a bit of vets stuff after health problems and loved it. Paying the price now mind.
    I wasn't ever going to make it in pro football Ethel , however a scout from Emley asked me to go up there and train with em with possibly play for the reserves and see how it went .

It went terribly wrong I was hopeless and didn't work out .

Just about as good as it got for me personally .

I had ability to a certain extent but in the grand scheme of things almost nothing really .

At Emley level you could be kicked off the park because I wasn't the biggest but I had speed .

I could run the 100 mtrs in 11 seconds at Dorothy Hyman @ 16 year old .

At a lower level it was another matter and I like to think I did well .

Football is what it is and absolutely nobody has this game wrapped up in my opinion is my point .

We’ll done on that mate. Not a bad standard at emley. I played against them in the yorkshire league they went on to bigger things.

I liked going there when glav and banksy were up there. Shame they went to wakey, I understand why but it didn’t work out for them.

An old cricket mate was on the committee up there and left when they moved. I think he saw his cricket retirement being involved in the village club, he must have been gutted.

We’ll done on that mate. Not a bad standard at emley. I played against them in the yorkshire league they went on to bigger things.

I liked going there when glav and banksy were up there. Shame they went to wakey, I understand why but it didn’t work out for them.

An old cricket mate was on the committee up there and left when they moved. I think he saw his cricket retirement being involved in the village club, he must have been gutted.
    Thing is as a kid I always loved running , these days I can hardly put one front in front of the other .

I was proper quick without wanting to give it the Billy big *******s , it was a gift I was given .

Jeez I wish it was 1980 again .

I wish I could play golf with some kind of natural gift , these days .

That clears isn't going to happen .

Keep trying. It’s participation that matters.

I used to go to Dorothy Hyman back in the day. I enjoyed it, I was quick but not good enough to compete. I think my coach was another Olympian, val peat, is my memory correct?

Those were the days. Blue vest with yellow trim.

Keep trying. It’s participation that matters.

I used to go to Dorothy Hyman back in the day. I enjoyed it, I was quick but not good enough to compete. I think my coach was another Olympian, val peat, is my memory correct?

Those were the days. Blue vest with yellow trim.
    Aye that's right Ethel , My PE teacher told me I should go along to Dorothy Hyman and see how I went on , I'd never heard of the place back then which would be around the mid 70's .

Felt like a superstar sprinting on a proper track .

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast