+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic Whistle v AFC the all in one threed

Its magic to be top again but surely to fvck Kari will be match fit for the diet huns match.

Still hoping we'll get another centre half and a central midfielder in before the end of the transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Random thoughts;

- we badly need a dominant, loud, shoutey, pointy, central defender
    - Shinnie had his worst 45 minutes in a Dons jersey in the 1st half
    - Bobby Madden is a useless c**t
    - Wrights goal was a thing of beauty.
    - That Thistle centre half for a blatant elbow in the face of May. An undeniable red card.
    - overall we deserved it but every time a cross ball came in I was nervous.
    - Good subs by DM today.
    - get Arnason fit & get him in at CB
    - what a brainless penalty Thistle gave away
    - Good support again. Over 2,000
    - too of the league, but a tough run to come.
    I'd agree with all of that apart from the May elbow in the face comment. Two players battling for the ball and the Jag player held him off/pushed him back with his elbow rather than smashed him in the face with it. More obstruction than anything, and certainly not violent conduct, or serious foul play. May made a meal of it.

That back 4 didn't work. Shinnie seemed to have difficulty in remembering how to be a full back, and O'Connor looked uncomfortable. The 2nd and 3rd Thistle goals were primary school defending.

Wright's goal was a beauty, and I dinna think anyone else in our sqaaad would have had the instincts of Rooney to nick the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I'd agree with all of that apart from the May elbow in the face comment. Two players battling for the ball and the Jag player held him off/pushed him back with his elbow rather than smashed him in the face with it. More obstruction than anything, and certainly not violent conduct, or serious foul play. May made a meal of it.

That back 4 didn't work. Shinnie seemed to have difficulty in remembering how to be a full back, and O'Connor looked uncomfortable. The 2nd and 3rd Thistle goals were primary school defending.

Wright's goal was a beauty, and I dinna think anyone else in our sqaaad would have had the instincts of Rooney to nick the winner.

Was watching the game on the Partick website PPV and the commentary team hit the nail on the head with our defence when they pointed out the gap between our centre halfs looked like a real problem area. Neither one seemed able to take responsibility when the ball was in that middle ground. Considine looked better with the ball at his feet than he has fo a long time but again both CB's just don't look dominant either in the air or positionally. Felt like a real bombscare waiting to happen. Other posters on here have alluded to the fact Arnanson is still working on fitness and i hope to god that's true as if he can't push into this team with the circus centre halfs we've got then he's got problems.

Shinnie was no doubt meant to shore up that left wing but as was pointed out was having a bit of a mar. GMS must have pumped Mrs McInnes as he apparently is struggling to get in even our first 11 and i would have thought he'd be flying in this side. Stewart does indeed look good but is rediculously one footed. I'm not liking this fascination with pushing Christie out wide as when he's tucked in behind a front line he's an absoloute nightmare for defenders to pick up with his agility and turns.

We really do have a cracking player in the making with Wright. Plays with zero fear and i've a feeling he's the sort of player that will thrive in big games against The Walking Dead and such. He's always pressuring the full back and causing problems. Final ball isn't there but surely it will improve. He can't half hit them though. Great goal.

You get the impression all in all that McInnes is unsure of what his best back line is. He said in the post-match interview that the changes were to encourage a ball carrying team to take responsibility in pressing the attack and that this led to a smaller physical presence but as far as i'm aware neither O'Connor or Considine have shrunk since last week so why we're getting beat at set plays should be a source of much concern.

As some said, we need a centre half and i think another left back to free Shinnie up to play his Captains role in the middle. It's a win so no compaints but make now mistake. For all our fantastic passing flourishes and connecting play, there were some real weaknesses exposed that a better team would have severely punished us for.

Top of the league though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansRed View Post

You get the impression all in all that McInnes is unsure of what his best back line is. He said in the post-match interview that the changes were to encourage a ball carrying team to take responsibility in pressing the attack and that this led to a smaller physical presence but as far as i'm aware neither O'Connor or Considine have shrunk since last week so why we're getting beat at set plays should be a source of much concern.
    because we have one less tall player at set pieces with Reynolds being off the park. He used May instead and he was meant to pick up a player at at least one of their set plays that resulted in a goal. There is some logic in DM playing with Considine at lb and it is to do with defending set plays.

Shinnie gave the ball away poorly in our own half three times in the first half - two directly resulting in goals and one causing a dangerous attack that came to nothing. I don't expect him to do that every week, but you'd have to say on balance that we looked a lot shakier in defence with him there than we have with Considine at LB (mainly because we're swapping out Reynolds for a player like Christie/Wright/Stewart at set pieces).

Partick aren't a dangerous side going forward. They'd scored one goal in three games prior to today and we only made them look dangerous by giving the ball away in our own half and failing to defend crosses properly. It was a reasonable demonstration of exactly what we are at present: a team that can look brilliant going forward yet still concede soft goals because we've neglected to strengthen the defence.

Those soft goals we conceded yesterday, were down to the way we set up rather than the players themselves. The way we defend set pieces is shambolic & has been since day one with McInnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Those soft goals we conceded yesterday, were down to the way we set up rather than the players themselves. The way we defend set pieces is shambolic & has been since day one with McInnes.
    Nothing to do with 2 awful passes by Shinnie? Or McLeans weird double knee jump attempt to clear a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by bpdon View Post
    Nothing to do with 2 awful passes by Shinnie? Or McLeans weird double knee jump attempt to clear a corner?
    Thistle still had a lot to do for their first. Well taken goal that one. The other two were shocking but If you put a player on the post, they don't get their 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Thistle still had a lot to do for their first. Well taken goal that one. The other two were shocking but If you put a player on the post, they don't get their 3rd.
    The 2nd and 3rd were very poor to lose. Basically corners dropping in or around our penalty spot with little challenge. Agree we should have men on the posts, but I also like to keep one up front from a corner to put some pressure on the opposing team. We can't satisfy all scenarios.
    Clearly it didn't work yesterday, but the team that started yesterday would be the one I pick every week with possible exception of Kari starting instead of O'Connor/Considine.

And we are still top of the league.

I wasn't at the game; and haven't seen any highlights, so all I have to go on is the BBC website match report.

From that, to me, it seems Thistle got lucky. 3 goals from 5 chances. That happens in football. We scored 4 from 16 chances.

Foxxake, the posts on here whining about the defence are almost as tiresome as the 2 trolls on the new stadium threads. If we continue winning 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 who gives a f@@k. We're top of the league today - get the beers in ....

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast