+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Play offs

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I just wonder what Collins would have achieved with Duffs squad.
    A trades man enjoys and does his work much better with quality tools.
    Collins tools were badly broken so let’s not put the blame just on him.
    The directors are totally to blame for providing the broken tools, just them and no one else.
    It’s unbelievable Nudge !!!
    Absolutely Poggy you are spot on , I bet the owners couldn"t believe their luck when Collins started to get some flack , all that resulted in was to deflect the blame off them and on to him, they then got carried away and decided to sack him in an effort to get the fans back on board which of course has turned out to be another massive own goal , Collins may not have been the flavour of the month but at least he got us to the play offs despite the owners best efforts to derail him from day one of his reign , he should have had chance to see the the job through but madness prevailed , why am I not surprised ?

The reputation of the club must be getting worse and worse too as time goes on. Amateur mistakes, bad decisions, unprofessionally run.

Who's gonna be the next mugpunter head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I just wonder what Collins would have achieved with Duffs squad.
    A trades man enjoys and does his work much better with quality tools.
    Collins tools were badly broken so let’s not put the blame just on him.
    The directors are totally to blame for providing the broken tools, just them and no one else.
    It’s unbelievable Nudge !!!
    How many HCs have been employed over this last few seasons and inherited the same players from the previous season ???

None.

All new HCs had to cope without good players that had left the club at the end of the previous season.

But Collins didn’t.
    Collins didn’t just fail in moulding a new defence - he failed to organise any department within the team.
    There was no coordination in either defence midfield or attack.
    Every player from last season has gone backwards this season.

Just watched Oxford v Peterboro - and both teams are miles in-front of Barnsley with regards to tactics and organisation.
    If Barnsley had that level of coaching - with the talent in the Barnsley squad - and within a weak league this season - IMO we should have achieved automatic this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    How many HCs have been employed over this last few seasons and inherited the same players from the previous season ???

None.

All new HCs had to cope without good players that had left the club at the end of the previous season.

But Collins didn’t.
    Collins didn’t just fail in moulding a new defence - he failed to organise any department within the team.
    There was no coordination in either defence midfield or attack.
    Every player from last season has gone backwards this season.

Just watched Oxford v Peterboro - and both teams are miles in-front of Barnsley with regards to tactics and organisation.
    If Barnsley had that level of coaching - with the talent in the Barnsley squad - and within a weak league this season - IMO we should have achieved automatic this season.
    I can honestly say I’ve seen worse than what we’d been served up this season - some of duffs games were awful but we bought into the down and out club drum he was banging - yet in reality we had the best back 3 in the division

I was okay with Collins being the manager - if the board have gone through a lengthy recruitment process to get their man in Collins then back him ffs - don’t sell the entire back line and give him players that aren’t up to it (through no fault of their own btw - in time they might come good). We should’ve got someone like Aidan flint in - a big lad, lives locally and has played at a good level all his career - he’s at Mansfield ! You can’t tell me we couldn’t have competed for his signature.

A lot of folk on forums had a pop at Birmingham for bulleting eustace when they were about 7th after 10 or so games - what we’ve done eclipses that and screams of desperation to get TV money to bang bungs in a many punctured inner tube metaphorically speaking.

We will never build anything by constantly changing managers - whether they are charismatic or not - that’s irrelevant - the facts are we won nearly 47% of our games under him and we had a resilience in coming from behind that duff failed to instil, so for all this about him not being the ‘poster boy’ type manager, he could clearly get a reaction from the players The failings of the board are not recruiting well enough full stop - but especially when we were in touch of automatic in January (this was the time for me to back him or sack him - if that was on the agenda), they don’t give managers enough time and finally , if there is something that has gone off then tell the fans - if it’s true then there won’t be legal repercussions - so this would fall under communication

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    I can honestly say I’ve seen worse than what we’d been served up this season - some of duffs games were awful but we bought into the down and out club drum he was banging - yet in reality we had the best back 3 in the division

I was okay with Collins being the manager - if the board have gone through a lengthy recruitment process to get their man in Collins then back him ffs - don’t sell the entire back line and give him players that aren’t up to it (through no fault of their own btw - in time they might come good). We should’ve got someone like Aidan flint in - a big lad, lives locally and has played at a good level all his career - he’s at Mansfield ! You can’t tell me we couldn’t have competed for his signature.

A lot of folk on forums had a pop at Birmingham for bulleting eustace when they were about 7th after 10 or so games - what we’ve done eclipses that and screams of desperation to get TV money to bang bungs in a many punctured inner tube metaphorically speaking.

We will never build anything by constantly changing managers - whether they are charismatic or not - that’s irrelevant - the facts are we won nearly 47% of our games under him and we had a resilience in coming from behind that duff failed to instil, so for all this about him not being the ‘poster boy’ type manager, he could clearly get a reaction from the players The failings of the board are not recruiting well enough full stop - but especially when we were in touch of automatic in January (this was the time for me to back him or sack him - if that was on the agenda), they don’t give managers enough time and finally , if there is something that has gone off then tell the fans - if it’s true then there won’t be legal repercussions - so this would fall under communication

Good post renno. Totally agree 👍

They gave Collins a 2 year contract too, thus not backing him or themselves. This is why our reputation as a football club is on the slide. They just don't get it do they?
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 05-05-2024 at 06:31 AM.

How can the recruitment strategy be described as poor - when as a 3rd Tier club we have just sold £8.5 Million quids worth of players ???

Then we have the argument - we should have signed like for like.
    In that case we should have bought 2 players in valued at £8.5 million quid.
    Is that what supporters are suggesting ???

Then there’s the argument that we sold the defence - true - but no player was put up for sale by the club.
    An agreement was made with Mads to leave - and we all saw the video he made.
    And the club fought tooth and nail to keep Kitching.
    Also worth mentioning that Mads and Kitching got slagged off to hell when they first joined Barnsley.
    Just like Mael and Earl are now being subjected to.

Given the right level of coaching - Mael, Pines and Earl will become a significant force next season in the 1st Division - and IMO they could do a good job in the Championship.

How can the recruitment strategy be described as poor - when as a 3rd Tier club we have just sold £8.5 Million quids worth of players ???

Then there’s the argument that we sold the defence - true - but no player was put up for sale by the club.
    Also worth mentioning that Mads and Kitching got slagged off to hell when they first joined Barnsley.

Given the right level of coaching - Mael, Pines and Earl will become a significant force next season in the 1st Division - and IMO they could do a good job in the Championship.

Stop tekkin pyss nar ffs. Tha just repeating stuff tha said a few week ago hoping for a reaction and it's becoming really boring.

All players are available for sale. That is the business model.

We dealt with Coventry at just the right time as they were awash with funds having sold Gyokeres for £20 million and Hamer to Sheff Utd for a fee well in excess of £10 million. Robins knew the Barnsley set up and bought Kitching, Collins and Thomas (from parent club Burnley)

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

They gave Collins a 2 year contract too, thus not backing him or themselves. This is why our reputation as a football club is on the slide. They just don't get it do they?
    Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

I can only speak for myself , but I’m not hungry to get in the PL - I’ve no desire to see star studded teams spank us week in week out , with their overpaid toddlers with facial hair rolling around on the floor every five minutes. I want to see a club that mirrors what I think our town is historically about and what I grew up around - which was people who worked hard and if the chips were down you scrap harder. I understand that if we get a player that is young and talented he will move on - and good luck to him - as long as he does what I mentioned I expect then they go with my best wishes. If I’m not mistaken , Kane found it amusing being taken off - and there is the reason why he plays in league 1 at the age he is - because in the grand scheme of things he’s a below average footballer . If I was him and it wasn’t going my way I’d be going round sticking the shoe in and revving the fans up. Yet the bloke probably earns in 3 weeks the average annual salary in the area - this is also a likely reason for the disconnect with fans in that a lot of the players are detached from reality - Step forward devante Cole - one of the first off the reproduction line of the modern age of middle class footballers - I know it’s not their fault they’ve grown up with wealth , but as a parent it’s your job to instil your working class values into your children otherwise the desire to succeed might not be their (I’m not saying this is the case with DC)

What the board don’t see is that as fans it’s likely most would put themselves in neill Collins position and think if that was them in a work environment would they feel it unjust - the answer is likely yes . There were passages of play that were better under Collins than duff, but the fannying about at the back certainty wasn’t - and with worse quality defenders. What’s to say that this board don’t dictate to a coach a way and system they want to play ? (All supposition). Collins deserved to see the season out and I would imagine most fans would agree - after giving him the bullet I didn’t care whether we got in or not , because on the whole he’d done a decent job with the tools he was given - what the board should then say is what do you need to get out of this division - but let’s look at that mentality- NP has done exactly what lee/Conway did with heckingbottom,Stendel,Struber,Ismael under their stewardship and not backed decent coaches when necessary . My concern is that NP is possibly a Churchill nodding dog and mouthpiece for others - all supposition of course!

I’m guessing - and only animal can answer this- but RL seems to be more connected to the working man than football and not this huge disparity in earnings , this then coupled with the lack of identity route we’re going down.

The idea of this model is you buy at £100000 and sell at £1m, you then buy at £500000 and sell at £3m+, the signings are then at £1m and sell at £4m+

If we sell £8.5m worth of defenders, we should realistically see £3/4m in either signing fees or wages reinvested back into the squad - how much have we spent back in to the playing side ?

Since their tenure the cash balance of the business is gone and we’ve sold many a player for a decent fee
    Last edited by renno; 05-05-2024 at 07:36 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast