+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 113 of 923 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Andy. What Anna really meant to say is we should told even more lies

swale are you nicola sturgeon in disguise she talks bollox all time as well

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    This discussion hasn't, but the general stance of the beaten remainers has made me want to dissociate myself from them. Anna Soubry on the radio this am is a prime example, she just won't let it go, and she as good as admitted that she basically wanted a rerun because she/they hadn't done a good enough job of selling remain. OK Anna, rearrange the Derby/QPR playoff final and I might consider it.

The general stance of the Remainers??? Thats a rather sweeping statement! What some politicians say and what other more informed people say about the advantages of remain are different.

What is telling for me is that most of the arguments for leave have been either untrue, wild assumptions about what might happen in the future or pure xenophobia, fear and distrust of foreigners. I had thought we'd developed as a country, but seems not and whats really funny is that it will be those who voted for leave who will be impacted negatively when we do.

It'll be interesting to see if someone ressurects this topic in a few years time and says 'I told you so'.

Having said that, I think we'll still be discussing it then, without a break.

If it wasnt for this thread there would be no point having this message board. It stands out like a beacon uniting us by dividing us. On transfer deadline day about 10 posts on football, a couple of which were spam.

I looked at the "board that cannot be named" for the first time yesterday. Huge post count (albeit mostly bollox and continually saying the same thing) but it shows that there are opinionated people out there: just so few come here.

Is it worth keeping open I wonder? Maybe a cremation is the kindest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The general stance of the Remainers??? Thats a rather sweeping statement!
    That's me all over - broad brush statements, generalisations, unsubstantiable facts - now where's that form I had knocking around, 'Application to be a politician'

Seriously, I can confirm that the general stance of the remainers in the social groups where I've heard it discussed is a bit pathetic - namely:

Politicians. Get over yourselves and go do a deal for God's sake! Having commented on Anna Sourby yesterday it was good to See Imelda Mae put her and others back in their box by being very clear (OK at summary level) that Brexit means we are leaving the EU, and everything therefore is underpinned by that. I like her style at the mo.

Business seniors in soft industries. Hardly unexpected that they are gagging for the status quo to somehow re-emerge as IMO they are the most likely to be collateral damage if things do go wrong

Business leaders in value added industries. For the most part have decided to roll their sleeves up and get on with it, good for Warren East at R-R for instance.

My family and friends group. Totally in denial at the moment, and bear in mind some of those folk were already in denial about the Scottish independence vote so imagine their pain!

Facebook. My fb friends voted poss 90% leave, but of the 10%, a number are quite high profile in public life due to a hobby interest I have (think Billy Bragg level of profile) and my God are they whinging like buggery, in fact getting quite vitriolic about it

This forum. Jury's out, but as a Remain voter I for one am 100% for making the best of Brexit now

While I continue to find more in common with Swale's outlook than most, but admire the stance of the likes of Andy and mac in looking for the positives and seeking to make the best of things, what I really struggle with at the moment is the number of influential people who are saying, time and time again, something along the lines of...'we'll have to wait and see what Brexit actually means'.

Honestly...even if you accept that the Referendum was an excercise in informed democratic decision making - which, regulars may have noted, I don't - how can we have voted for something we still don't understand the consequences of? If anyone can give me a positive example of a good decision being made without a clear understanding of the likely implications I'd be grateful.

Roger...think it's worth keeping open. Even without this thread our board is healthier than most. Perhaps the dearth of football comments is possibly down to holidays, the current two week hiatus in football matters and a degree of disillusionment. Meaningful incoming signings used to be genuinely exciting with the arrival of players (think the likes of Saunders and Stimac) leading to a real case of 'when Saturday comes' expectation. Unfortunately our most recent expensive signings have been largely disappointing and the whole transfer window/deadline day has made things all too predictable. We've still got ten days or so to wait till we begin to see what a post Martin DCFC with the input of Anya and Vydra etc can achieve. Suspect the board will be busy with football related stuff after that.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;38257881] how can we have voted for something we still don't understand the consequences of? If anyone can give me a positive example of a good decision being made without a clear understanding of the likely implications I'd be grateful.

Sorry to refer to the radio news for the millionth time, but check this report out as mentioned this am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37238641

Clearly the Electoral Reform Society share some of your concerns

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;38257898]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    how can we have voted for something we still don't understand the consequences of? If anyone can give me a positive example of a good decision being made without a clear understanding of the likely implications I'd be grateful.

Sorry to refer to the radio news for the millionth time, but check this report out as mentioned this am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37238641

Clearly the Electoral Reform Society share some of your concerns
    I get all that Andy and, without taking sides, I've consistently maintained that it's always been the case that most of the electorate were insufficiently well informed and misled (by both sides) to make a meaningful decision.
    Nothing about that has changed, but what is truly alarming is that we now have those who are supposedly informed and are, in some cases, responsible for overseeing the Brexit process suggesting that they don't yet know what is involved and what the consequences will be. Can't remember anything quite as absurd or potentially dangerous.

We didn't vote for any particular brexit deal, we voted to reject the best deal that the eu was prepared to let us have if we stayed in.

Page 113 of 923 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213613 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)