+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 118 of 349 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Switzerland does pretty well banking and finance-wise and they're not in the EU either.
    You teally need to do your research before commenting. Switzerland is part of the Single Market and Customs Union through a series of 10 bilateral trade agreements. It has adopted the 4 pillars of the EU (free movement of people, goods, services and capital), is a member of the Schengen Area and has the European Court as its final court of arbitration.

We are leaving the EU and its Single Market and Customs Union.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Talk me through which manifesto policies you consider to be extreme and without which Labour might well have won?

And through simple logic, if Labour were well behind when May called the election, followed by Labour announcing their policies in the manifesto, how do you account for Labour picking up in the polls to stop May's desired majority?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7731536.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-free-markets
    Those are interesting articles, ranting.

It’s important to bear in mind that the sample sizes used in polls can be fairly low – perhaps a couple of thousand people – because it gets expensive to use large samples. It’s also important to bear in mind that opinion polls can be skewed to give the answer that the body commissioning them wants to hear. It’s generally a good idea to root around in the sample size and methodology used.

Setting the above aside, however, and accepting that the polls are accurate, they must be a huge cause of concern for you.

A few weeks after the poll reported in the Independent article, a very large opinion poll was held across the UK, in the form of a General Election. The sample size was in excess of 32 million and on the question ‘would you like a Labour government’, the answer appears to have been ‘not really’ (in fairness, they said the same about the Tories, but less emphatically).

So if the polices are right, there has to be another obstacle to Labour winning as opposed to not being trounced, doesn’t there? And I would suggest that the only reasonable explanation is that large numbers of people neither like nor trust the London Labour Party cabal who are currently at the top table (I appreciate that at this point, disparaging comments about the mainstream media generally appear – those pesky newspapers keep actually reporting things that The Great Leader has said and done over the years).

As I mentioned above, if success for you is Labour not getting wiped out as opposed to winning, you have nothing to be concerned about. Close those curtains, rock that carriage and maybe get the lads and lassess from the grime clubs to make train noises.

I have already explained why Labour came up in the polls. The Tories made the error of trying to fight the election on personalities alone with the ridiculous ‘strong and stable’ strap line. That was always risky (particularly as they must have known from the outset that May would decline to take part in televised debates etc.) They should have switched to policy as soon as that strategy started to unravel.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Report from Evening Standard "London will lose up to £700 billion to financial rival Frankfurt by the end of March as banks flee the UK ahead of Brexit, a lobby group has claimed.

At least 30 banks and financial firms are set to move their EU headquarters to Germany, according to lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance."

We dont have to believe any of it.
    I don’t know where you are going with any of this WanChai.

The arguments that you are making were made during the referendum campaign and are and were, in my opinion, well made. If the business environment in this country changes – as it clearly will, whatever form of Brexit is delivered – business will react. It’s what businesses do (see earlier comments – ad nauseum -above and elsewhere about Labour’s proposed corporate tax rises – generally denied by left leaning posters). The argument was lost, however and the electorate voted to leave – in part, I think, because they voted on issues other than pure financial well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Hasn't the financial industry destroyed it's self within the EU not too long ago ?
    No. They are still here, paying vast amounts of tax to support public spending.

You teally need to do your research before commenting. Switzerland is part of the Single Market and Customs Union through a series of 10 bilateral trade agreements. It has adopted the 4 pillars of the EU (free movement of people, goods, services and capital), is a member of the Schengen Area and has the European Court as its final court of arbitration.

We are leaving the EU and its Single Market and Customs Union.
    Are we?

Technically you are wrong & right at the same time

However, after a Swiss referendum held on 6 December 1992 rejected EEA membership by 50.3% to 49.7%, the Swiss government decided to suspend negotiations for EU membership until further notice. These did not resume and in 2016, Switzerland formally withdrew its application for EU membership.

I can quote Wiki just as well so stop pretending to be an expert Leave that to others, or at least one other

And 20 insurers questioned by Reuters moving its EU business out of London.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKL8N1J318Y
    Have you ever considered that you and politicians like minded like you who haven't accepted the brexit result are to blame for not getting behind the brexit at the start instead of undermining and trying to overturn the democratic result. I feel we would get a better deal if remainers got their tongues from out of the EU arse

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Have you ever considered that you and politicians like minded like you who haven't accepted the brexit result are to blame for not getting behind the brexit at the start instead of undermining and trying to overturn the democratic result. I feel we would get a better deal if remainers got their tongues from out of the EU arse
    Is it any wonder when we have a remainer leading the negotiations who has made a pigs ear of things from day one
    You might even wonder deliberately so
    Being so clever [supposedly]how can you make such a mess of things

True bout pm being a remainer. A general is only as good as the troops he leads and the pm has had little surport from most mps over brexit from all parties. I used to be a shop steward and I know you need your members behind you other wise you're pissing in the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    True bout pm being a remainer. A general is only as good as the troops he leads and the pm has had little surport from most mps over brexit from all parties. I used to be a shop steward and I know you need your members behind you other wise you're pissing in the wind
    6 out of the 10 Brexit cabinet sub committee were remainers & she appointed all of them didn't she?

So what do you expect?

Up until just a few weeks ago she never sought to gain any cross party support
    She was & is stubborn but not stubborn enough with the EU negotiators

And I'll wager you didn't have any members of management on your team
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 03-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Are we?

Technically you are wrong & right at the same time

However, after a Swiss referendum held on 6 December 1992 rejected EEA membership by 50.3% to 49.7%, the Swiss government decided to suspend negotiations for EU membership until further notice. These did not resume and in 2016, Switzerland formally withdrew its application for EU membership.

I can quote Wiki just as well so stop pretending to be an expert Leave that to others, or at least one other
    I'm not wrong. I did not say the Swiss werr members of the EU or EEA.

I said they have signed up to the Single Market and Customs Union (bringing into force many EU regulations in their country) through a series of 10 bilateral trade agreements. And each agreement has been approved by referendum.

Which is why they can trade freely across the border and there is no need for a hard border.

Page 118 of 349 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast