+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Was LW overrated

Overrated by who?

What rating?

He was the best head coach we've had in my time of following notts. By stats, by gain in the pyramid, by every measure.

Sad to see him go, but may the next one be better.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    Or perhaps Shankly owed his success to Paisley?
    Not heard that suggested before but maybe Paisley doesn't get the credit he deserves, though I am struggling to see what he brought to the table other than some form of continuity, he didn't seem to have any charisma about him at all. Maybe less is more. IIRC Lawrenson's abiding memory of him seems to be after they lost at Brighton and BP made one single brief comment as they got on the bus after saying nothing in the dressing room, which made them all think. Souness tells how Paisley overruled the acting manager when Bob was ill, which led to Souness withdrawing a transfer request. Leeds players talk about Revie just standing in front of the mirror combing his hair to signal his disapproval.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Not heard that suggested before but maybe Paisley doesn't get the credit he deserves, though I am struggling to see what he brought to the table other than some form of continuity, he didn't seem to have any charisma about him at all. Maybe less is more. IIRC Lawrenson's abiding memory of him seems to be after they lost at Brighton and BP made one single brief comment as they got on the bus after saying nothing in the dressing room, which made them all think. Souness tells how Paisley overruled the acting manager when Bob was ill, which led to Souness withdrawing a transfer request. Leeds players talk about Revie just standing in front of the mirror combing his hair to signal his disapproval.
    Paisley bought LOTS to the table at Liverpool possibly their greatest ever manager look at the leaders he had in the dressing room Souness, Hughes, Smith, Kenny not one of them has a bad word to say about him he was a tactical genius who also had the man management skills.

He was also a physio at one stage and told someone just by watching him walk and what the injury was it is in a book someone had written about him.

His famous saying was “Nobody gets old on LFC watch he can do it at another club”

Although the game is totally different now and as you say he was apparently a quiet man but he had the respect of the dressing room that goes along way too.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Now can you give some of the same medication to Suckerman?
    Unfortunately not, it only works on people with an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    This is a joke, right? Some Notts County fans in-the know joke that I'm not privy to?
    I follow Bayern after living in Munich for a while, he isn't well regarded there at all and was close to the sack. Stick to North Wales matters

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    This is a joke, right? Some Notts County fans in-the know joke that I'm not privy to?
    Or think they are😂

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Brian Clough failed at Leeds.
    Sir Alf Ramsey failed at Birmingham City
    Alex Ferguson failed to qualify with Scotland in a relatively weak WC finals group with 3rd place available and was also, as legend has it, one match from the sack at Man Utd.
    Shankly went 6 seasons without winning a single trophy at Liverpool.
    Wenger 8 trophyless seasons at Arsenal.
    Even Sirrel failed at Sheff Utd.

Bob Paisley is just about the only manager I can think of who had a flawless record, but I imagine everybody would agree he owed his success to Shankly.
    Bob Paisley was a brilliant manager and a gentleman. His gravestone in Liverpool sums him up so well: 'He remained an ordinary man amid extraordinary achievements'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I follow Bayern after living in Munich for a while, he isn't well regarded there at all and was close to the sack. Stick to North Wales matters
    Cool. Well chuffed for you.

How do you know that no team has come in for him since he's been at Man City? Newsflash; You don't. So whilst you may be correct about Bayern the rest is just nonsense. Stick to Nottingham matters.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112