+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Pet Gripes

re: O/T Pet Gripes

Quote Originally Posted by sweeneywolf
    Bit of a serious one this...

Why do the media outlets, the main culprit s being TV news... Persist in prolonging the pain and suffering of the families of murdered victims ( especially children) by showing photos or clips of the victim(s) every time reference is made to the killer.

The images of the unfortunate victims get burnt into your memory and must wrench at the hearts of the child's parents and loved ones.

By all means show a picture of the vile perpetrator but not the sad victim.

Rant
    over ...
    I agree, Sweeney, but until proven guilty, all accused or those under suspicion, and their families, do have a right to their identity to be hidden...lest a vengeful citizen decides to heroically and mistakenly kills an innocent individual.

Why show the suffering victims? As the old newspaper adage goes, "If it bleeds, it leads!":/

Tunds, that is why it is a gripe.

Moving on...

Chewed gum left under chairs or desks in the work place.

TV directors panning away when a streaker invades a sporting event.

People who shoot animals for fun/sport

Motorists using a filter lane to turn right who leave the rear of their vehicle in the main lane, more or less defeating the object of the filter lane. Surely it's not that difficult to get it right and thereby demonstrate that you are not a complete to$$er after all?

'In regards to' and 'fed up of'. What's that all about then? You weren't taught that at school.

'With regard to' and 'regarding' and 'fed up with' are what you should have been taught.

I find it interesting how these malapropos (not to be confused with malapropism), creep into common usage. I have seen examples in individual's newspaper columns in the national press (Whatever happened to proof-readers, or are they as bad?) and, worryingly, with the first cited case, from a secretary at work.

I can understand confusion over the use of such words as 'hear' and 'here' and 'there' and 'their', but that is just spelling.

If anyone is interested in getting our beautiful language right, at least most of the time, this is an excellent book;

and no, it is not about me and my gran!

In the same vane(sic)...TV news captions and ticker feeds, that carry either spelling mistakes or typos...

Probably done by some highly qualified graduate. Who is dead clever on paper but lacking the art of spelling and or 'reading their own copy

The BBC are not immune, which is somehow particularly galling

The spelling and grammar police that are often found on forums like these. They often pounce without actually putting a point across about the subject that is being discussed. They are happy to pick up on any grammar or spelling mistake, but even they do exactly the same from time to time.

The type of people i'm on about often rush to create threads without actually reading the link they have posted, they also post a totally different to the one the article is referring to.

Even those with a so called higher education get caught out.

Hook, line and sinker?

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88
    Hook.line and sinker?
    Lee Bowyer

Bridgenorth

Note the incorrect spelling of 'Bridgnorth' above

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    The spelling and grammar police that are often found on forums like these. They often pounce without actually putting a point across about the subject that is being discussed. They are happy to pick up on any grammar or spelling mistake, but even they do exactly the same from time to time.
    I have run across several examples of the above on the Burnley Board, '71.

There is a big difference between the odd misspelt word and persistent bad grammar. My point was entirely about grammar.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)