+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 'cancellation'

Problem here living in a rural French region is that the Parisians and others (with a second home) have arrived … ......... given that the supermarket has been stripped in last two days by 'em so tempers are fraying.
    Personally our self isolation is my elderly Mum cooking downstairs for all whilst we are decorating all rooms upstairs in between lining the chimney whilst my two younger kids are 'supposed' to be doing school lessons on line.
    Luckily I'm overlooking the beach so it's nice to do kayaking too as its been quite warm.
    Also I have been busy getting refunds ......... for card deposits I've made & other Leeds fans have made.
    (45% of online payments in Spain are made with a debit or credit card.
    Like France the most common form of debit cards used in Spain are Visa and Mastercard).

The gist being If you made booking via such card the Section 75 conditions rule may get you a refund minus booking fee - I have used this law to good effect numerous times (cover up to €33,000) for coach/van rentals services for switched Sky games etc in the past
    Not sure if it's applicable to all folks circumstance but ................... money up front cannot be helped particularly deposits,travel arrangements,hotels and van/coach hire to attend events etc so my Irish Bank has had quite an earful from me.
    https://www.ukecc.net/consumer-topic...protection.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Again, not a view I could agree with.

The economy will recover but you are a long time dead.
    Me too FTW, businesses won't have anybody to sell to anyway. look at Italy its a disaster, people first always...

The leagues postponed indefinitely a positive thing, the stalker on this thread can feck off for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Me too FTW, businesses won't have anybody to sell to anyway. look at Italy its a disaster, people first always...

The leagues postponed indefinitely a positive thing, the stalker on this thread can feck off for a while..
    Won't have anyone to sell to anyway??? Where did you get that estimate from?

Actually, the economy does not always recover. Check 1929- 1940 if you need an example of that. Took a war that killed 50,000,000 + people to snap out of it. A pretty high price by any measure.

Government's can always print money. The people that are screwed by this are the elderly, poor and anyone on a fixed income. Inflation is nothing but a tax that robs those classes. Plenty of examples of that worldwide but Venezuela, many of the third world African countries and Weimar Republic are examples of that. Plenty of money... just worthless for the needs of life.

There is a price to pay for every decision that involves limited resources and lives no matter how big a country gets. The "cow is out of the barn on this one". We will all be exposed within the next 2-3 months. Time to hope and pray for a drug that's already been tested for something else and is approved for use on humans and can be scaled up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by leedsutdman View Post
    Won't have anyone to sell to anyway??? Where did you get that estimate from?
    Italy has acted too late and UK probably has also... see how much business gets done over the coming months, the virus is not expected to peak until sometime in June,,,next to no flights intra Europe, none to US.... have a look at the stock markets and unemployment rates

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Actually, the economy does not always recover. Check 1929- 1940 if you need an example of that. Took a war that killed 50,000,000 + people to snap out of it. A pretty high price by any measure.
    I would say the economy always recovers, its the speed at which is does, that differs. Printing too much money is what caused the crash of 1929 and it can also be argued that one of the main driving factors of World War II starting was Hitlers own economic policies and his persecution of people to fulfill them.

Wars generate money that is a fact and can obviously speed up that recovery, but an economy will recover one way or the other, people only have 1 life.

My opinion is that lives are more valuable than money ever will be.

I definitely think it will be a rough ride for many over the next several months and it's interesting to hear people now say that the USA as well as UK have been very slow out of the blocks to realize the potential impact of Covid-19 and take appropriate action.

There are one or 2 papers being published which state the Chinese have discovered a combination of drugs that combat Covid-19 and because there are now survivors from the disease, a vaccine was able to be produced but ramping it up to the needed quantities is going to take time and money etc, etc.

Not sure the US was slow on this. Trump banned all Chinese from entering the country in late January. That was early in the outbreak. He was called a racist, xenophobe and a hater. It was already too late since the Chinese had been hiding the outbreak since November. That's criminal if we had any kind of world court they would be held responsible for trillions of dollars of damages. They locked away any medical provider that had the temerity to actually speak up about what was happening. That would have been early enough to stop the outbreak but it made the regime look bad.

The testing has been a disaster. They put some government agency in charge of it and they screwed it us 10 different ways to Sunday. A total clown show. The only way they straightened it out is taking it from them and having some private companies start overseeing the process.

There is a very promising drug on the scene. It's a 1940's anti malarial drug that has worked almost 100% of the cases that were use in a double blind study. Appears to be the real deal and is been proven safe in over 50 years of use, is inexpensive and a generic. Drug name is Chloroquine and later version called HydroChloroquine. it's not approved for Wuhan virus so who knows how long it will take to get approved. Some hospitals have started using it for near terminal patients. I think that's called grey boxing where something's used for a different purpose. Not sure why an anti malaria drug works on the wuhan virus but it seems to.

The really sad thing is that since almost all drug mfg was moved offshore to China the last 20+ years we probably wont even be able to produce it in the US. May have the plants to do it but no longer have the raw materials to do it en masse. Ironic that we'll be beholden to the country that caused it in the first place.

Ireland has a big Pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, American firm Regeneron based in Limerick are hopeful of trialing a drug in coming months (they helped solve Ebola and Sars) Can't fathom the slow approach by many to isolation to slow this disease down.

Well Spaldy, I dont necessarily agree with your points of view, but I do appreciate and respect the way you made them, without becoming antagonistic. I hope you and yours stay safe, the same for everyone else on the forum and we all get to discuss Leeds ups and downs in the near future.

LFTW, I also can understand your points.

This is one of those horrible decisions that leaders have to make. appears that most of the world has gone the shutdown route and work on the economy later. we'll never know if it had to go the total shut down route or if it really even saved that many lives in the long run.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)