+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (3)

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Does this mean that global warming could be our saviour?

We live in different times but didn't the Spanish Flu kill most in the Autumn and during the '2nd wave' of infections?

When and how these lock down rules are eased will be critical.
    Good try guys but you have to remember global warming aint just about blue skies and sunny days

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...onditions.html

not forgetting all the other things that kill us off due to global warming...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ng-and-health/
    Last edited by rolymiller; 24-04-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I don't need to remember anything. A tongue in cheek post is a tongue in cheek post.

Crawl back under your stone.

Not so defensive Howdy. Good to see you having a go at the cryptic millers... i've put a few more on to keep the lads amused by the way...

(I know , I know you are not being defensive!)

You are like our lass you assume what ever i am saying I am having a go at ya!

I'm really not as bad as Monty makes out ya know! I got more bday cards than i have done for a few years recently. I even had more xmas cards as well last year I must be doing summat right for somebody. I won't expect any cards off you and Monts though so don't be trailing out to get one...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 24-04-2020 at 10:30 AM.

No matter what measures are put in place and for how long they run, not a single life will be saved. Not one. What they will/might do is extend some lives for a period of time. This is an important distinction because extending those lives is coming at the cost of shortening others.

Figures for the first week in April suggest there were around 10,000 'excess' deaths with around 60% being connected to(but not necessarily caused by) the virus. That means there were 4,000 other deaths which weren't expected and weren't connected to the virus. Some may have been connected, but unidentified, but it's fair to assume that a lot of people are dying who otherwise wouldn't, and not a great leap to assume that the current situation is having a major impact.

Now going back to my first point, these lockdown measures are extending some lives, but by how much? Similarly they're shortening some lives, but by how much? What if the average person who dies with Covid-19 had only 9 months to live and the average person who died through colateral damage had three years? Not saying that's the case, but the real numbers may be an eye-opener. We surely need to look at the amount of life lost through different courses of action rather than the number of lives lost.

You'd like to think that those making the decisions are looking at the full picture but I wouldn't bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    No matter what measures are put in place and for how long they run, not a single life will be saved. Not one. What they will/might do is extend some lives for a period of time. This is an important distinction because extending those lives is coming at the cost of shortening others.

Figures for the first week in April suggest there were around 10,000 'excess' deaths with around 60% being connected to(but not necessarily caused by) the virus. That means there were 4,000 other deaths which weren't expected and weren't connected to the virus. Some may have been connected, but unidentified, but it's fair to assume that a lot of people are dying who otherwise wouldn't, and not a great leap to assume that the current situation is having a major impact.

Now going back to my first point, these lockdown measures are extending some lives, but by how much? Similarly they're shortening some lives, but by how much? What if the average person who dies with Covid-19 had only 9 months to live and the average person who died through colateral damage had three years? Not saying that's the case, but the real numbers may be an eye-opener. We surely need to look at the amount of life lost through different courses of action rather than the number of lives lost.

You'd like to think that those making the decisions are looking at the full picture but I wouldn't bank on it.
    Take your point Lasterman but for those who are losing relatives the maths isn't a comfort to em. Think how you would feel if one of your close relatives was rushed into hospital with the virus...or even yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Take your point Lasterman but for those who are losing relatives the maths isn't a comfort to em. Think how you would feel if one of your close relatives was rushed into hospital with the virus...or even yourself...
    Indeed, but to hammer home my point, how I might feel if someone close to me was being denied life-extending cancer treatment because of the lockdown. I actually know two people in that position but not close.

Quote (BBC News website) from the man who is sitting on top of the world's biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons...

Name:  Screenshot_2020-04-24 Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  15.6 KB

Company that makes Dettol has just issued statement saying that, under no circumstances, should their product be injected!
    You couldn't make this stuff up...
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-04-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Quote (BBC News website) from the man who is sitting on top of the world's biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons...

Name:  Screenshot_2020-04-24 Outcry after Trump suggests injecting disinfectant.jpg

Company that makes Dettol has just issued statement that, under no circumstances should their product be injected!
    I dunno. i think Trump should have the first trial!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post

Company that makes Dettol has just issued statement saying that, under no circumstances, should their product be injected!
    To be fair, they've only issued that statement in Barnsley. Someone posted back to ask if they could carry on drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    On another note:

Is it the beginning of the end for the EU??

Squabbling over of how aid/help should be distributed and on what terms.

Looks like everyone is stumped over this virus.

Stick or twist time. Lockdown or not?
    Definitely pressure building on all the major EU quangos Howdy, Germany are stating to relent a bit on Aid as opposed to Bond issues. The bond issues are great for Germany but not for Greece, Spain or Italy who have to pay a higher rate of interest ensuring Germany hold a competitive advantage. The ECB were discussing purchasing junk bonds to help certain countries out and also changing the rules on investing grade Angel bonds

One idea was perpetual bonds where you only pay interest but not the capital for ever, not sure how this will effect the ratings?

Italy's debt to GDP could rise from 134 to 180 ....Greece is already at 180 before any new measures

Germany is 62% hence the top rating

Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast