+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: OT. Schools...normality and Coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    OK, I lose track of weeks then, not days?

As an interesting perspective I know one or two couples who genuinely feel that he is doing a brilliant job and that we should all be joyful that he is leading the fight. Intelligent professional middle class, ardent brexiteers both, one BAME, one not. Now i cannot say I agree with them wholeheartedly, but equally I don't share your "every move he makes makes him look worse" stance either.

What would be interesting to see might be an opinion poll after the worst of things calm down to analyse people's views on his performance. I wonder if the government, or someone else, would have the balls to commission one? Or is that was is called a general election, as unlikely as one of those might be?
    I have to agree.
    Of course he and his party have dropped bollox. I really expected anyone to in this environment.
    I also feel, he is also scared to do things because of the way politics has got in this country. His opponants have had a major mauling in the last election and are looking for anything to throw at him.
    Their own credibility has been lost, so what better way than hurl **** at your opponant.

As RA says, we should all be working on this together. But seriously? Can you honestly see this lot of MP's putting party politics aside for 5 mins?
    We all know that Johnson got in power for 2 reasons. There was no credible opposition and he promised to deliver what a referendum had said.
    Will they all learn from this? I doubt it. The Lib Dems have just released their investigation for their car crash in the last election.
    The result? It was all Chukka Unuma's fault

So no, I won't hold my breath on anyone sorting this out succesfully.

As an interesting perspective I know one or two couples who genuinely feel that he is doing a brilliant job and that we should all be joyful that he is leading the fight. Intelligent professional middle class, ardent brexiteers both, one BAME, one not. Now i cannot say I agree with them wholeheartedly, but equally I don't share your "every move he makes makes him look worse" stance either.
    I too know a few who think he's "doing a sterling job". As with your "friends", most are intelligent, professional, middle class. None are BAME. Those not fitting the intelligent, professional, middle class description are what one might refer to as "right wing" in their views. I don't altogether agree with their politics but they are good lads to have a beer and a laugh with and we enjoy one another's company.

Now where have I said ‘every move he makes makes him look worse’?

The worst I’ve said about him recently is that he’s currently...invisibłe...although he did reappear for the circus show that is PMQ’s earlier today.

I would love those who support him to tell us what he’s done well since being elected though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Now where have I said ‘every move he makes makes him look worse’?

The worst I’ve said about him recently is that he’s currently...invisibłe...although he did reappear for the circus show that is PMQ’s earlier today.

I would love those who support him to tell us what he’s done well since being elected though.
    Sorry, those words are my interpretation of your perspective on BoJo based on a succession of negative opinions over perhaps the last 12 months (or more)

If you are now claiming to be supportive of him I may need to, like Tricky, prostrate myself on the floor in apologies.

I will seek to find out what aspects of his performance have received the plaudits so you can disagree with them too 😉

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39498230]I prefer ‘benefiting from the experience of others’ to being our ‘guinea pig’, MA.
    The UK government hasn’t covered itself in glory, imo, so far and we need all the help and advice we can get.
    There seems to be some sort of ‘race’ as far as certain ministers are concerned so we can boast about how quickly we returned to ‘normal’ and I fear that might be horribly counterproductive.

As you rightly point out, we have been a couple of weeks behind you all the way through all this and I’d also add that the crisis in the UK has been rather deeper than the Dutch equivalent.

You’ve provided return dates elsewhere suggesting that Junior Schools will be returning, in one form or another on the 8th June and Secondary Schools on the 2nd June.
    By my reckoning that suggests that in the UK, Junior Schools should sensibly consider reopening on the 22nd and Secondary Schools on the 16th.
    That seems reasonable on the basis that by then the situation in the UK will have had another month to ‘settle’ and we’ll have had the benefit of seeing how our Northern European counterparts in Germany and Holland have coped.

Dutch primary schools and day care centres partially re opened on the 11th of May, RA and not 8th of June. So 2 weeks after that is 25th of May.

So do you agree with the Dutch fully re opening?

But as you rightly point out, the UK has had a worse outbreak and I would suggest that we were further than 2 weeks behind the Dutch.

Sorry, those words are my interpretation of your perspective on BoJo based on a succession of negative opinions over perhaps the last 12 months (or more)

If you are now claiming to be supportive of him I may need to, like Tricky, prostrate myself on the floor in apologies.

I will seek to find out what aspects of his performance have received the plaudits so you can disagree with them too ��
    Lol...of course I’m not ‘claiming to be supportive of him’...but when you put things in quotation marks it usually suggests you’re actually quoting someone.

My opinion is that we’re in an impossible situation that any political leader or government would have struggled with. Unfortunately we, and the Americans, appear to have handled it less well than many and, at a personal level, I think we’ve seen diddly squat in terms of leadership from the two dumb blondes on either side of the Atlantic.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-05-2020 at 05:07 PM.

[QUOTE=Ram59;39498393]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I prefer ‘benefiting from the experience of others’ to being our ‘guinea pig’, MA.
    The UK government hasn’t covered itself in glory, imo, so far and we need all the help and advice we can get.
    There seems to be some sort of ‘race’ as far as certain ministers are concerned so we can boast about how quickly we returned to ‘normal’ and I fear that might be horribly counterproductive.

As you rightly point out, we have been a couple of weeks behind you all the way through all this and I’d also add that the crisis in the UK has been rather deeper than the Dutch equivalent.

You’ve provided return dates elsewhere suggesting that Junior Schools will be returning, in one form or another on the 8th June and Secondary Schools on the 2nd June.
    By my reckoning that suggests that in the UK, Junior Schools should sensibly consider reopening on the 22nd and Secondary Schools on the 16th.
    That seems reasonable on the basis that by then the situation in the UK will have had another month to ‘settle’ and we’ll have had the benefit of seeing how our Northern European counterparts in Germany and Holland have coped.

Dutch primary schools and day care centres partially re opened on the 11th of May, RA and not 8th of June. So 2 weeks after that is 25th of May.

So do you agree with the Dutch fully re opening?

But as you rightly point out, the UK has had a worse outbreak and I would suggest that we were further than 2 weeks behind the Dutch.
    Sorry Ram...my figures came from MA and he’s there.

My point is that we were behind the Dutch and experienced a much worse scenario. With that in mind I think we should be watchful of others before we send our kids back.

The situation in France gives cause for concern. As regards full time attendance...I can’t see how that wouldn’t be in breach of all our current social distancing rules at the moment.

I want a full return just as much as you but for me...small steps are the way forward and I very much hope for a full return in September but let’s not throw caution to the wind at this stage.

On a positive note, I see that London has returned zero positive results in the last 24 hours of testing, although it's not known how many tests this was.

Could this lead to different levels of lifting the lock down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    On a positive note, I see that London has returned zero positive results in the last 24 hours of testing, although it's not known how many tests this was.

Could this lead to different levels of lifting the lock down?
    Bit late looking at 9000 jobs to go RR

I believe its from probably 10 tests!! Mine now done but results not yet known (hopefully will say Ive had it / got it asymptomatically)

I suspect lockdown could be eased regionally since COVID first reared its ugly head mostly in the London / SE and and other random hotspots, then seemed to creep up the country, such that different areas felt the brunt of it along a 2 or 3 week timeline. My friend near Newcastle reported no incidents at a time when significant numbers of people were dying further south around me.

This of course could mean football could start back in London but not necessarily Liverpool (why always us) or Manchester, which might allow the futile narrowing the gap on the Bindippers lead in the Premiership - or indeed might result in awarding them the title due to other teams' dropping points.

So maybe a staggered return to semi normality - schools as well as other shops, facilities etc - based on the trajectory of incidents.

To keep rA happy we can phase the reopening of schools near Derby to be the last ones to reopen!!!

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)