+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: McNulty

Quote Originally Posted by Craigbrew View Post
    Sorry i did go off lines cause i am not happy, but your first on on me about recruitment seem to be fine , not that bad ..it is fkn pathetic, i think last 20 league games tell the whole story, but its all about opinions , you seem to be very happy ... i don't want to get banned but your moderator and come out with that crap..tomoorow fk knows what year it was kevin callegher goal v barca was my birthday ,, long time ago to
    now watch this sh1t , but its my team.. i always think what you except is your standard.. good luck
    All I said was recruitment in the summer wasn't as sh*t as you make out. We've signed some players who have contributed well, especially on the defensive side - Mulgrew, McMann, Niskanen and Carson (when called upon). Then we have Levitt who is the boy that makes this team tick. Of course we signed a couple of duds up front but when you sign 7 or 8 players you are never going to get a 100% success rate. We seem to be going round in Brian shaped circles here mate, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I think you and Craigbrew have decent points but in your post above you start by saying Clark and McNulty. Shocking recruitment there because he should never have been brought back after a return of 4 in 30.

That wage could have been better used.

Clark is at best an impact sub, not a 12th minute impact sub.

That team last night had Butcher Harkes Clark and McNulty in it. I rest my case.

I've said it many times I think our recruitment has been suspect for quite a while now.
    I'm not entirely sure what you're point is here mate. If you're insinuating I think McNulty was a good signing then you couldn't be more wrong. I was one of the boys on here who didn't want him signed a second time. There were plenty of guys who did want him signed!! He was sh!te the first time and has been worse the second time.

As for the other guys you mentioned, I'd also have them away to f*ck but unfortunately they're contracted to the club and we can't just sign players over and above those already here, certainly not with a wage to turnover ratio like ours. Between January past, and this summer however, we have a great chance to get rid of a lot of deadwood with contracts being up.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Between January past, and this summer, however, we have a great chance to get rid of a lot of deadwood with contracts being up.
    this is what worries me, in recent years we have offered new contracts to players not good enough like pawlett, connolly and i suspect the same is about to happen with Harkes, McNulty etc

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    this is what worries me, in recent years we have offered new contracts to players not good enough like pawlett, connolly and i suspect the same is about to happen with Harkes, McNulty etc
    There's a contract on the table for Harkes. We all know that. Who else, I don't know. If we offer one to McNulty then we may as well all give up and sit in the boozer on a Saturday afternoon.

FWIW and I am no coach/tactician etc. The biggest recruitment failing has been the lack of pace incoming to the team, less Niskanen, we can see what he does with direct running, but if he has to do that from a wing back position then wasted.

As has been alluded to before some tweaks and changes to accommodate others coming back e.g. Butch having to move back into midfield has affected the solidity.

For me if Mulgrew has to play then he should just sit in front of the defence and Butch moves back to CH.

McNulty is not a bad player but appears lazy and/or frustrated. Therefore feed him more chances or drop him

Clark - again not a bad player but out and out penalty box striker should not have to come back any more than 10 yards from the opposition 18 yard line to get the ball. Pace is an issue and isnt getting any younger, therefore impact sub upfront.

Midfield - Levitt when on form speaks for himself and McDonald when fitter will provide that little bit of 'foot on the ball' we need.

As for the one or two remaining slots left, we seem to have an abundance of young talent; play them. If Ross Graham is anything to go by seized his chance and hasn't so far looked out of place.
    Pawlett, Harkes etc. can become the bit part players if needed.

Perhaps controversially if you need to toughen up midfield, then I believe Hoti is the man in the absence of Butch at CH. Almost similar in my opinion.

Anyway i'll get ma coat!

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    FWIW and I am no coach/tactician etc. The biggest recruitment failing has been the lack of pace incoming to the team, less Niskanen, we can see what he does with direct running, but if he has to do that from a wing back position then wasted.

As has been alluded to before some tweaks and changes to accommodate others coming back e.g. Butch having to move back into midfield has affected the solidity.

For me if Mulgrew has to play then he should just sit in front of the defence and Butch moves back to CH.

McNulty is not a bad player but appears lazy and/or frustrated. Therefore feed him more chances or drop him

Clark - again not a bad player but out and out penalty box striker should not have to come back any more than 10 yards from the opposition 18 yard line to get the ball. Pace is an issue and isnt getting any younger, therefore impact sub upfront.

Midfield - Levitt when on form speaks for himself and McDonald when fitter will provide that little bit of 'foot on the ball' we need.

As for the one or two remaining slots left, we seem to have an abundance of young talent; play them. If Ross Graham is anything to go by seized his chance and hasn't so far looked out of place.
    Pawlett, Harkes etc. can become the bit part players if needed.

Perhaps controversially if you need to toughen up midfield, then I believe Hoti is the man in the absence of Butch at CH. Almost similar in my opinion.

Anyway i'll get ma coat!
    You were doing well until, well, you know, that last bit. Ffs man. 🙈😂

The playing of youths is an interesting one, Graham especially. If McMann hadn't got injured in that Celtic game, we probably wouldn't have even seen Graham these last 8 games. How many other kids are in the same situation? Good enough but not getting a chance.

You were doing well until, well, you know, that last bit. Ffs man. 🙈😂

The playing of youths is an interesting one, Graham especially. If McMann hadn't got injured in that Celtic game, we probably wouldn't have even seen Graham these last 8 games. How many other kids are in the same situation? Good enough but not getting a chance.
    I thought Mochrie when he came on the other night was showing he's a better footballer than clarke and thats playing out of position as he's a No.10 where Clarke has been playing. Also should be noted he hasnt kicked a ball for 2 moths where as Clarke plays every week. How much better would he get if he got a run ? and he's 18! so probably a massive amount of potential there.

So there is potentially 1, how many more ?

You were doing well until, well, you know, that last bit. Ffs man. ����

As they say big fella its all about opinions; but if you dont give people a decent chance (as others have been), then how is that fair? I didnt even mention Akinola (whom i forgot about also). There is no point in exposing less experienced players when you have no choice through injury etc. and then expect them to perform. Therefore give them a chance with the majority of your first eleven, i am not sure Hoti has had much of this; the slight paradox being that a youthful united side did well against the Blue noses earlier in the season.

If i remember rightly Jobby brought in Colin Samuel and we can argue about his ability other than pace; but i believe he didn't play Samuel that much (why) when we were crying out for somebody that would just run at defences! Simon Murray not a great player but he chased down consistently and would steal (and miss) a goal occasionally. Different position to Hoti but by away of an analogy i think. Nay point in bringing in players just to sit on the bench or to be loaned out to others.

I'm not entirely sure what you're point is here mate. If you're insinuating I think McNulty was a good signing then you couldn't be more wrong. I was one of the boys on here who didn't want him signed a second time. There were plenty of guys who did want him signed!! He was sh!te the first time and has been worse the second time.

As for the other guys you mentioned, I'd also have them away to f*ck but unfortunately they're contracted to the club and we can't just sign players over and above those already here, certainly not with a wage to turnover ratio like ours. Between January past, and this summer however, we have a great chance to get rid of a lot of deadwood with contracts being up.
    It wasn't intended as a criticism of your post. Just saying that we should never have been in a position where it's McNulty and Clark.
    Nicky has been a great servant but v the Fun he wanted a second touch to score and again v Livi wanted a second touch. McNulty can't go past a player either due to lack of pace lack of physicality or lack of heart. My criticism of the recruitment process (which you seem to be defending) is not correctly addressing the striker options and a complete mess of midfield recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    I thought Mochrie when he came on the other night was showing he's a better footballer than clarke and thats playing out of position as he's a No.10 where Clarke has been playing. Also should be noted he hasnt kicked a ball for 2 moths where as Clarke plays every week. How much better would he get if he got a run ? and he's 18! so probably a massive amount of potential there.

So there is potentially 1, how many more ?
    I thought so too. He was evidently still quite raw and gave the ball away a few times due to wanting too much time on it, but f*ck, he showed a willingness and had the ability to move us up the park. He moves well with the ball.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)