+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Face Masks not stopping the spread of Coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    And we have people testing positive on the 1st of the month, never leaving hospital, dying on the 30th....and it isn’t counted.
    It would be on their death certificate as either cause or contributory factor so likely will be counted.

I see your point though.

The standards that the public are being expected to comply with seem to me to be confusing. What happened to the R rate? What is it now? Was there a target that had to be reached before we could move away from lockdown and begin to restart our economy?

I also think that there might be something different about the virus. We are told it mutates, what is there to say that the second wave might not be as strong as the initial infection? The Coupar Angus chicken factory has about 10% rate of infection. I find this odd and would like an official explanation of the way the virus has been contained and limited to only 10% of the workforce. That number will include all the outside the factory contacts that the workers will have encountered.

What if the virus is burning out?

Not tryouts ng to deny it is a problem but perhaps the comparative lack of deaths might be a result of the virus dying down?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    The standards that the public are being expected to comply with seem to me to be confusing. What happened to the R rate? What is it now? Was there a target that had to be reached before we could move away from lockdown and begin to restart our economy?

I also think that there might be something different about the virus. We are told it mutates, what is there to say that the second wave might not be as strong as the initial infection? The Coupar Angus chicken factory has about 10% rate of infection. I find this odd and would like an official explanation of the way the virus has been contained and limited to only 10% of the workforce. That number will include all the outside the factory contacts that the workers will have encountered.

What if the virus is burning out?

Not tryouts ng to deny it is a problem but perhaps the comparative lack of deaths might be a result of the virus dying down?
    Both my wife and I are convinced we had it right at the start of the 'outbreak'. I was in a meeting with around fif**** others around end Feb / beginning of March when we knew about the virus but seemingly it hadn't hit our shores yet. One of the guys in the meeting had come back from a job abroad the week earlier and said he and one of the guys he was with had a bit of flu, nothing too serious but neither of them could now taste or smell anything. Two weeks later, just around lock down start time my senses of taste and smell had gone funny and the week later the wife announced the same, everything tasted metallic and nothing could be smelled at all; this lasted around a week for us both. We didn't get tested. We never twigged until well into the lock down when it was announced they now wanted anyone noticing any changes in their senses of taste or smell to self isolate and get a test.

What that suggests to me is that a lot more people have had this virus than have been tested and confirmed as having it. Cast your mind back to the original UK government thinking on herd immunity, the idea being to let the virus run through the population in order for the population to build immunity to it. The vast majority of fit and healthy people that contract the virus will have felt no effects or, like me, the wife and the guy at work won't have tied a symptom to the virus because it's supposedly lethal. The population will have now built up immunity to the virus. It might well be burning out as it's being killed by contact with healthy and immune people.

However of course it can, and likely will, mutate - it has to mutate if it wants to survive. Mutation can have several effects of course it can change nothing as regards how the virus effects humans, it might let it find a new target in other animals, it might make its effects much worse in humans or it might indeed just mutate itself out of existence completely. Mutation doesn't necessarily mean a new spike and / or more deaths.

There's even a possibility that the whole nanny state 'wear a mask', 'stay at home', 'ignore your relatives', 'fear all strangers', 'queue to get into Tesco', 'decide your own exam results' thing has slowed the growth in population immunity. Not saying Boris was right but the healthy population should probably never have been locked down and all resources should have been aimed at protecting the vulnerable and encouraging healthy population immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Both my wife and I are convinced we had it right at the start of the 'outbreak'. I was in a meeting with around fif**** others around end Feb / beginning of March when we knew about the virus but seemingly it hadn't hit our shores yet. One of the guys in the meeting had come back from a job abroad the week earlier and said he and one of the guys he was with had a bit of flu, nothing too serious but neither of them could now taste or smell anything. Two weeks later, just around lock down start time my senses of taste and smell had gone funny and the week later the wife announced the same, everything tasted metallic and nothing could be smelled at all; this lasted around a week for us both. We didn't get tested. We never twigged until well into the lock down when it was announced they now wanted anyone noticing any changes in their senses of taste or smell to self isolate and get a test.

What that suggests to me is that a lot more people have had this virus than have been tested and confirmed as having it. Cast your mind back to the original UK government thinking on herd immunity, the idea being to let the virus run through the population in order for the population to build immunity to it. The vast majority of fit and healthy people that contract the virus will have felt no effects or, like me, the wife and the guy at work won't have tied a symptom to the virus because it's supposedly lethal. The population will have now built up immunity to the virus. It might well be burning out as it's being killed by contact with healthy and immune people.

However of course it can, and likely will, mutate - it has to mutate if it wants to survive. Mutation can have several effects of course it can change nothing as regards how the virus effects humans, it might let it find a new target in other animals, it might make its effects much worse in humans or it might indeed just mutate itself out of existence completely. Mutation doesn't necessarily mean a new spike and / or more deaths.

There's even a possibility that the whole nanny state 'wear a mask', 'stay at home', 'ignore your relatives', 'fear all strangers', 'queue to get into Tesco', 'decide your own exam results' thing has slowed the growth in population immunity. Not saying Boris was right but the healthy population should probably never have been locked down and all resources should have been aimed at protecting the vulnerable and encouraging healthy population immunity.
    This is an excellent post.

I am not surprised that there has been an outbreak of COVID-19 at the 2 Sisters chicken factory in Coupar Angus especially when I saw on the BBC news that people speaking 17 different languages were employed at this factory.
    It is possible that some workers knew that they were feeling ill but continued to work as they sent money back home to their families.
    Last night I heard that some of the workers at the Coupar Angus factory are on a 3 day contract per week with them having a second job elsewhere.
    If this is correct then this is a recipe for disaster as COVID-19 could easily spread to other workplaces throughout Angus, Perthshire and Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I am not surprised that there has been an outbreak of COVID-19 at the 2 Sisters chicken factory in Coupar Angus especially when I saw on the BBC news that people speaking 17 different languages were employed at this factory.
    It is possible that some workers knew that they were feeling ill but continued to work as they sent money back home to their families.
    Last night I heard that some of the workers at the Coupar Angus factory are on a 3 day contract per week with them having a second job elsewhere.
    If this is correct then this is a recipe for disaster as COVID-19 could easily spread to other workplaces throughout Angus, Perthshire and Dundee.
    There's a link been made between this factory and other processing plants in the area so this three day week and other jobs thing might help explain that.

There's a link been made between this factory and other processing plants in the area so this three day week and other jobs thing might help explain that.
    It is likely that the workers harvesting the fruit and vegetables grown in the poly tunnels on the farms in the nearby area are likely to be a risk of contracting COVID-19 especially if they are living in large mobile homes on their farm.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    It is likely that the workers harvesting the fruit and vegetables grown in the poly tunnels on the farms in the nearby area are likely to be a risk of contracting COVID-19 especially if they are living in large mobile homes on their farm.
    Test and trace should help. Numbers going up should be seen as a positive result IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Test and trace should help. Numbers going up should be seen as a positive result IMO.
    Test and trace is not working.

I know someone who works at Kings Park and who was tested on Friday with a promise of a result withing 24 hours. Still waiting.

Test and trace is not working.

I know someone who works at Kings Park and who was tested on Friday with a promise of a result withing 24 hours. Still waiting.
    The testing is a disaster in some cases ,family member who is nearly ninety waited 5 days on a result.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)