+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

I’ve read this thread with much interest. Although I am a few years too young to have experienced the Northern Soul in Rotherham phenomenon, I have found this a really educational piece of which I knew very little. Thank you to the contributors.
    Regarding high quality cover versions which are more my era, I have to say that ‘Always On My Mind’ by the Pet Shop Boys is the best cover I have heard. Yes, it was of a time, but it was given a real kick up the backside when compared to previous versions.
    I’d also like to add The Clash’s version of ‘I Fought The Law’ brought the song to life when compared to The Crickets’ effort.
    Finally, ‘Step On’ by the Happy Mondays is a gem. The original by John Kongos titled ‘He’s Gonna Step On You Again’ just doesn’t cut the mustard when compared to the cover.
    Of course, these are only my initial thoughts and I realise I may have injected some modernity to the discussion, but a good cover is a good cover!
    Last edited by poddington; 16-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poddington View Post
    The Clash’s version of ‘I Fought The Law’ brought the song to life when compared to The Crickets’ effort.
    Hard to believe that a lot of bands at that time hated The Clash because they signed for CBS.

I must admit that Joe Strummer's outlook on life at that time was that "were all in it together" and I mean when he said All he meant EVERY ONE OF US IN THE COUNTRY. For someone in his position at the time that was very inspiring.

To this day, London Calling is still regarded as one of the best rock albums ever recorded.

Floyd's "wish you were here" done by Catherine Wheel always does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordmiller17 View Post
    Floyd's "wish you were here" done by Catherine Wheel always does it for me.
    To my shame I had never heard of Catherine Wheel until the above post.

I like the cover version of this classic Floyed track (best Iv'e heard so far) After hearing it I think I will have to go and find some more music by Catherine Wheel, so thanks for the introduction to them Bardford.

Just listening to the Album "Ferment" by Catherine Wheel, so far I'm not disappointed. Cheers Bardford.

Quote Originally Posted by poddington View Post
    I’ve read this thread with much interest. Although I am a few years too young to have experienced the Northern Soul in Rotherham phenomenon, I have found this a really educational piece of which I knew very little. Thank you to the contributors.
    Regarding high quality cover versions which are more my era, I have to say that ‘Always On My Mind’ by the Pet Shop Boys is the best cover I have heard. Yes, it was of a time, but it was given a real kick up the backside when compared to previous versions.
    I’d also like to add The Clash’s version of ‘I Fought The Law’ brought the song to life when compared to The Crickets’ effort.
    Finally, ‘Step On’ by the Happy Mondays is a gem. The original by John Kongos titled ‘He’s Gonna Step On You Again’ just doesn’t cut the mustard when compared to the cover.
    Of course, these are only my initial thoughts and I realise I may have injected some modernity to the discussion, but a good cover is a good cover!
    No problems with modernity, podd! The Pet Shop Boys cover is very highly regarded. I like it but I also like Elvis and Willie Nelson doing the song. Agree with you on the Clash.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Whilst were in 60s mode , does anyone remember a local band named " The Thunderbirds" ? Reason I ask is that I believe the drummer who's surname I imagine must have been Bates ( he used to do a solo spot sang in high falsetto voice) because I was mates with his brother Alan who I have lost touch years ago , Ive managed to track down other " gang members" but no-one knows what happened to Alan
    Not much Lincs but I have found Thunderbirds members as Ernie Booth bass - his son lived in Sheffield in 2005 - Roy Ledger lead guitar and Johnny Silver and a Clive somebody who were band members and both came over from America for a reunion in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Just listening to the Album "Ferment" by Catherine Wheel, so far I'm not disappointed. Cheers Bardford.
    Glad you are enjoying it, Ferment was their first album I heard. "Adam & Eve" is my favourite album of theirs.
    Well worth a listen if you like Ferment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordmiller17 View Post
    Glad you are enjoying it, Ferment was their first album I heard. "Adam & Eve" is my favourite album of theirs.
    Well worth a listen if you like Ferment.
    I will look for that one next Bradford, cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Not much Lincs but I have found Thunderbirds members as Ernie Booth bass - his son lived in Sheffield in 2005 - Roy Ledger lead guitar and Johnny Silver and a Clive somebody who were band members and both came over from America for a reunion in 2005.
    Monty, the name Clive really does sound familiar, did you get the surname by any chance?

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast