+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: January Transfer Deadline Day rumours/gossip/ or fact,

Chelmsford City left-back 20 years old Eduino Vaz on trial with Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Chelmsford City left-back 20 years old Eduino Vaz on trial with Reds.
    Another with a ring of truth abart it.

It's the pond we are fishing in.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Another with a ring of truth abart it.

It's the pond we are fishing in.
    I do not mind them fishing in the non league pond , hook another Pinnock & I will be well happy

Danger wi fishing in non league watta is tha very seldom pulls art a Bluefin Tuna. Tha far mooar likely to end up wi a Grey Mullet!

As previously said - it seems the clock has been turned back years to the time when Patrick and James first starting working together.
    If I remember right around the time Mawson was signed.
    If we have - then we are in for a good future - hopefully this time without someone interfering thinking they can do the recruitment job better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I do not mind them fishing in the non league pond , hook another Pinnock & I will be well happy
    True Shads.

It is possible to drop on a gem now and again though nowadays the non league pond tends to have been fished out and bottom dredged many times leaving very little worth catching. Thadda thought teams in the area like Southend, Colchester, Orient, Ipswich would have been alerted to a prospect at National League South Chelmsford City and taken a look

The recruitment team pouring over non league stats are like the proverbial broken clock--even that is right twice a day--so he may be a future star. Most non league gems are spotted early by old fashioned scouts--we have got rid of ours.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-01-2023 at 08:37 AM.

I’ll stick with James Cryne and the recruitment team - rather than a scout stood on the touch line.
    For years we have tried to play the game of recruiting someone that has built a bit of a reputation and more often than not we have been out bid.

As Duff has said over the last couple of weeks - ‘there are loads of good players out there - it’s a matter of getting the right ones with the right attitude’.

Leaving the Conway recruitment debacle aside - over the recent past there has been a shed load of players arriving at the club - these players have cost next to nowt and are moved on if they can’t make the grade.
    Those that have made the grade eg Luca Connell, have made an impact at the club.

Opinions vary on players.
    Better sticking with algorithms.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 25-01-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I’ll stick with James Cryne and the recruitment team - rather than a scout stood on the touch line.
    We ent much choice ev we?

If I did have a choice then I'd be investing in decent scouting as well as the statistics. It's crazy signing non league players who's stats are good wi art casting a professional eye over them first. Alas, it looks as though we have no choice.

As Duff has said over the last couple of weeks - ‘there are loads of good players out there - it’s a matter of getting the right ones with the right attitude’.

Which column in the stats printout identifies the "right attitude" ?

This is where the scout comes in. Asking around his/her contacts at the ground and elsewhere, "What's so and so like when you are 2-0 down on a wet Tuesday night? What's he like with the other players? Is he disruptive in the dressing room? Is he an idle sod?"
    Proper football people in the mould of Eric Winstanley or Norman Rimmington. They would only need ten minutes to know if a player was right or not.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-01-2023 at 04:12 PM.

For years we have tried to play the game of recruiting someone that has built a bit of a reputation and more often than not we have been out bid.

Leaving the Conway recruitment debacle aside - over the recent past there has been a shed load of players arriving at the club - these players have cost next to nowt and are moved on if they can’t make the grade.
    Those that have made the grade eg Luca Connell, have made an impact at the club.

Opinions vary on players.
    Better sticking with algorithms.
    The proof of this pudding will of course be in the eating and I wish all our under the radar shall we say new recruits all the best .

A few things here YN for you to digest , firstly when James Cryne first began this analytic approach to recruitment in 2015 we as a club were one of the very first in the UK to do it and unsurprisingly we enjoyed a number of hits including as you say Alfie Masson .

Now everyone is doing it and so the chances of finding unearthed gems is as a percentage considerably smaller than what it was 8 years ago .

Secondly Patrick was prepared to be the guarantor on loans he arranged , which meant that whilst finances were often tight we weren't living hand to mouth or pay cheque to pay cheque as we are today , as a consequence the pond in which we were fishing in wasn't limited to the League Of Ireland or indeed the 7th and 8th tier of English football .

Mawson came from Brentford with plenty of third tier experience gained , Hourihane from Plymouth Argyle and Winnall from Sc unthorpe even Marc Roberts at least came from the 5th tier .

Vastly different situation today on many levels and it's fools gold to believe the early James Cryne years can be replicated today with the same kind of success .

I look forward to your considered reply and it would make a refreshing change for your reply to be not the wing and a prayer type based on fantasy .

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast